Cat 1 on 10 hours a week?

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
The last two years I've just about hung on the back in Cat 1/2 in Netherlands. This season I have finally began to flourish and am able to ride "comfortably".

My current employment conditions have allowed me to train up to 16 hours per week, and this has been more than enough.

In June I will start a new job that will require longer working day, plus a longer commute. With a relationship to maintain on top of work I reckon I will have to curtail the duration and frequency of my training somewhat.

at the moment I usually get in 1.5 hr recovery monday, a training race plus an hour tempo tuesday, a long ride with some sprints on wednesday, a long ride with L4 thursday, rest friday, warm up training race saturday and big race sunday.

Realistically - with the new job I can expect to drop monday some weeks (girlfriend), keep tuesday and wednesday, reduce thursday's duration (1.5 hr with 2 x 20?), and keep the weekends as they are.

I reckon total volume will drop from 12-15 hrs to 8-12.

These questions mainly goes out to anyone coaching or competing in one of the upper categories on full time work, but anyone feel free to comment.....

Can I expect a significant loss of fitness from this? seeing as my longest races are 2.5 hrs are the shorter ride durations actually a problem? If I ramp up the intensity (only intervals?) when I do ride can I negate any condition losses caused by fewer hours in the saddle?

The higher salary of the new job is also making a powermeter / coach combo look very appealing.....will this help me maintain the fitness I have spent the last 3 years building?

BG

BullGod said:
The last two years I've just about hung on the back in Cat 1/2 in Netherlands. This season I have finally began to flourish and am able to ride "comfortably".

My current employment conditions have allowed me to train up to 16 hours per week, and this has been more than enough.

In June I will start a new job that will require longer working day, plus a longer commute. With a relationship to maintain on top of work I reckon I will have to curtail the duration and frequency of my training somewhat.

at the moment I usually get in 1.5 hr recovery monday, a training race plus an hour tempo tuesday, a long ride with some sprints on wednesday, a long ride with L4 thursday, rest friday, warm up training race saturday and big race sunday.

Realistically - with the new job I can expect to drop monday some weeks (girlfriend), keep tuesday and wednesday, reduce thursday's duration (1.5 hr with 2 x 20?), and keep the weekends as they are.

These questions mainly goes out to anyone coaching or competing in one of the upper categories on full time work, but anyone feel free to comment.....

Can I expect a significant loss of fitness from this? seeing as my longest races are 2.5 hrs are the shorter ride durations actually a problem? If I ramp up the intensity (only intervals?) when I do ride can I negate any condition losses caused by fewer hours in the saddle?

The higher salary of the new job is also making a powermeter / coach combo look very appealing.....will this help me maintain the fitness I have spent the last 3 years building?

BG

I went from being a very competitive Cat 2 rider to not racing at all as a result of a job change that required me to cut my training back. I was riding at just about the same intensity you describe and decreased my training time as you intend. The results were disastrous. I became less competitive, lost enthusiasm (no fun when you're getting your butt kicked by people you used to kick) and gave up altogether for a long period of years.

I'm not saying the same will happen to you, but it could. In any case, remember that the most important thing to retain is your enthusiasm. Without it you can do nothing.

BullGod said:

BG
ddddss

Not to bum you out, but when I was putting in 20-27 hour weeks and racing consistently, I got results and was race-active as a cat1.

When I tried it on 10, I seriously lacked the extra couple gears and became pack fodder.

I suppose some guys might flourish on less hours, with the right intensities (powermeter maybe), but not me. Time in the saddle is just too important at that level.

Can you commute to work? That's what I did often and had my best years as well.

YMCA said:
Not to bum you out, but when I was putting in 20-27 hour weeks and racing consistently, I got results and was race-active as a cat1.

When I tried it on 10, I seriously lacked the extra couple gears and became pack fodder.

I suppose some guys might flourish on less hours, with the right intensities (powermeter maybe), but not me. Time in the saddle is just too important at that level.

Bulldog's post is nearly 2 years old. He's quit racing now'

BullGod said:

BG
ewwewe

YMCA said:

Not to bum you out but in the last couple of years since that post, Bullgod became a pretty good rider who'd ride rings around pretty much everyone on this board - you included.

Like Ade said, he's had enough and has hung up his wheels...

swampy1970 said:
Not to bum you out but in the last couple of years since that post, Bullgod became a pretty good rider who'd ride rings around pretty much everyone on this board - you included.

Like Ade said, he's had enough and has hung up his wheels...
Fair enough - But I quit that long hours job to upgrade to elite license and ride on an amateur team...

One year was enough though....But I am thinking of starting some limited training this spring to do some 1/2nd cat crits this summer.

BullGod said:
Fair enough - But I quit that long hours job to upgrade to elite license and ride on an amateur team...

One year was enough though....But I am thinking of starting some limited training this spring to do some 1/2nd cat crits this summer.
ffdd

BullGod said:

So how's that working out for you BullGod? You still riding?