Cat 4/5 Stage Races

jeo

Aug 4, 2003
Are there any category 4/5 stage races in the US that last more than two or three days? It seems like they (at most) consist of a time trial, a road race, and a criterium. Any multiple road race stage races out there or do I need to be super wicked fast and turn pro before I'm permitted to do longer races? Just seems like it would be more fun to stretch things out a bit.

Jon

jeo said:
Are there any category 4/5 stage races in the US that last more than two or three days? It seems like they (at most) consist of a time trial, a road race, and a criterium. Any multiple road race stage races out there or do I need to be super wicked fast and turn pro before I'm permitted to do longer races? Just seems like it would be more fun to stretch things out a bit.

Jon
Remember that most of us amateurs racing whatever category have jobs during the week and can't spare much more that a few days at the most to go race-though we might want to.

Additionally, most racers at the cat 4/5 level probably aren't fit enough or seasoned enough to do much more than a few short stages.

Also, the USCF has guidance for event organizers on how long races should be for each category. They recommend shorter races for lower race categories for the reasons pointed out above.

I am assuming you are American. Your best bet is to do Superweek. 19 days of crits with a few RR's. Omnium style, so you do not have to do every stage. Also, there are some week long crit style series now and then. Ohio had a couple. I remember one in NC that was 5 days. But like I said, mostly you will race crits day after day, and only for stage glory, no GC (other than a few omnium points maybe). You could also try to get yourself onto a team heading out of the country for a stage race. There are numerous events south of the border. I have raced some pretty cool stuff in the Islands and Central/South America.

YMCA said:
I am assuming you are American. Your best bet is to do Superweek. 19 days of crits with a few RR's. Omnium style, so you do not have to do every stage. Also, there are some week long crit style series now and then. Ohio had a couple. I remember one in NC that was 5 days. But like I said, mostly you will race crits day after day, and only for stage glory, no GC (other than a few omnium points maybe). You could also try to get yourself onto a team heading out of the country for a stage race. There are numerous events south of the border. I have raced some pretty cool stuff in the Islands and Central/South America.

Yep, I'm an American. Superweek sounds pretty awesome. Island racing would be cool too. I'll need to look out for them. Crits are hard. I'm more of a RR person. I need to work on that. :)

jeo said:

Jon
It's still only 2 days, but check out this race if your want to step it up a bit, I'll be there next month in the cat 4/5 race. Everest Challenge Stage Race

OCRoadie said:
It's still only 2 days, but check out this race if your want to step it up a bit, I'll be there next month in the cat 4/5 race. Everest Challenge Stage Race
"Step it up?" So, that's what you call almost 30K feet of climbing in 2 days? Hmmm, I'll remember that.

I would also recommend superweek, its awsome. Also I think the Tour of 10,000 Lakes in Minnesota is 4 days long.

Reaction-Sambo said:
Isn't Superweek just Pro 1-2?

Heck No!! I think the pros are the only ones who get actual leaders jerseys but there is an overall standing for cat4/5's.

SuperWeek is great... Tour of Ohio is also great...

I just did a race in Leavenworth, IN, called To Tell & Back Stage Race. 3 days, 4 events for Cat 3/4. www.totellandback.com There were teams everywhere.. from Peoria, IL. Lexington KY., Louisville, KY., Indianapolis, IN. It was alot of fun.. lots of suffering.

sooray02 said:
SuperWeek is great... Tour of Ohio is also great...

I just did a race in Leavenworth, IN, called To Tell & Back Stage Race. 3 days, 4 events for Cat 3/4. www.totellandback.com There were teams everywhere.. from Peoria, IL. Lexington KY., Louisville, KY., Indianapolis, IN. It was alot of fun.. lots of suffering.

Green Mountain Stage Race
Vermont
next week

really cool since there is a pro race too
well organized
1.Prologue (uphill-thats an understatement)
2. Circuit race--really a road race 50 miles
3. Road Race--60 miles and 2 major mountain passes--Middlebury and Appalachian Gap

4.Crit--the hardest crit I have ever seen--maybe not as bad as Cat's Hill but like 6 corners, brick streets for part of the course, single file the whole way, narrow, and a finishing hill