Cat 4 or Masters?

gilbyrobb

Sep 28, 2004
I'm 39 and have no interest in moving up in categories. Should I race in Category 4 (there is no Cat 5 here) or Masters 35-45? What is the difference in the caliber of racers in these two categories?

gilbyrobb said:
I'm 39 and have no interest in moving up in categories. Should I race in Category 4 (there is no Cat 5 here) or Masters 35-45? What is the difference in the caliber of racers in these two categories?

Assuming you live in the USA, Masters 35+ is typically populated by CAT 1 ~ 3 riders over 35 who for some reason don't want to ride in the senior category.

It is no place for a beginner - you'll get dropped at once. start with cat 4 and try the 35+ to see what it's like after a few races.

beerco said:
Assuming you live in the USA, Masters 35+ is typically populated by CAT 1 ~ 3 riders over 35 who for some reason don't want to ride in the senior category.

It is no place for a beginner - you'll get dropped at once. start with cat 4 and try the 35+ to see what it's like after a few races.
Good advice. Thanks.

gilbyrobb said:
Good advice. Thanks.
On criterium days, do both races for a comparison.

If you have a velodrome in your area, go there first. They should offer, free training/drills on Saturday morning. Bring your pedals, they will rent you a fixed gear track bike.

This is the quickest place to learn how to race effectively. (This is my best and strongest advice)

Once you can marshall some pacing, drafting, sprinting skills, you can hang with the open Masters fields. (then you will improve your skills and fitness too)

You will not learn much about racing or tactics in Cat 4 as the races all seem to be anti-competitive, waiting until the big climb to thin out the field. In Masters, a break is always off the front, with blocking, bridging and chasing thrown down as needed. The finale is always fast--and from at least 500-1,000 meters out, not just the last 200 as in the 4/5s.

Generally, masters races are safer because the corner speed is much higher and the race is often single file due to the higher speeds. (not average speed, but a pursuit pace when the power is on)

You can have World & National Champions in Master racing.

Good luck!

these guys are right 35+ in florida is dominated by the cat 1 riders and the guy who is 44 and was a pro for 15 years

try to improve you fitness and win some races

Agreed. The 35+ is usually the second fastest group behind the 1,2, pro., and is usually full of guys who used to race cat 2/3. Not much fun getting dropped on the first lap (also a waste of entry fee).

As racing gets more popular, I'm seeing more and more specialized divisions for 35+ cat 4/5.

gilbyrobb said:

One qualification to the stuff above, it depends where you are racing. You said there is no Cat5 where you are, if that is the case, perhaps it's not as competitive as some are assuming. For instance, there is a huge difference in a given field in say, LA, DC or somewhere in FL where there are literally thousands of active racers. I know of races in Iowa, MI and OH where their are certainly very aggressive fields, but far fewer people racing at the Cat 1/2 level in a given Masters race.

Having said that, I'm in exactly the same place as you at 38. I'm very competitive in Cat4 here in the DC area, but the 30+ Master races are simply breathtaking. The speeds car AT LEAST 20-25 percent faster on average. The big difference, however, is that the field is much better behaved. I would add that while there is a percentage of the field that is immediately off the front, there are also a lot of riders who race that are more "our level." While you won't see the podium, you can shoot it out in the second group and a have a blast, with a much better chance of not getting road rash.

I race Cat 1 and from time to time I get my ass kicked by 35-45 year old riders and I am no slouch....**** there are even guys in their 50's that can hall ass and have Cat 1 times in big tt climbs etc! Without a doubt masters 35+ is way tougher than cat 4.....it's almost as tough as Cat 1 in some regions of the states!

In light of the above, they should re-name the category to something like Masters Cat 1, 2, 3.