Cat 5, Cat 4...what's the difference?

memphiscyclist

Dec 19, 2003
Just wondering how much of a difference there is in the skill and fitness levels between 5s and 4s. I am getting ready to upgrade to 4 and am wondering what to expect, since all it takes to get to 4 is to compete in 10 races. It also seems like there has been a wreck in half of the Cat 5 races I have been in, and I am guessing that this is because 5 racers are just squirly and inexperienced. Are there as many wrecks in 4, and how much more fit are the riders?

4's and 5's are pretty close physically. 5's have stupid, less damaging wrecks near the begining of a race, while both 4's and 5's have nasty wrecks near the end of a race, usually during the 30 mph sprint finish.

The real difference you'll see in the cat 4 is that it will be very difficult to go to cat 3. There is a lot of competition in 4 so one needs to work a LITTLE harder.

Originally posted by memphiscyclist
Just wondering how much of a difference there is in the skill and fitness levels between 5s and 4s. I am getting ready to upgrade to 4 and am wondering what to expect, since all it takes to get to 4 is to compete in 10 races. It also seems like there has been a wreck in half of the Cat 5 races I have been in, and I am guessing that this is because 5 racers are just squirly and inexperienced. Are there as many wrecks in 4, and how much more fit are the riders?

And here is how you upgrade...

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=580