Cat 5, Cat 4...what's the difference?

memphiscyclist

Dec 19, 2003
Just wondering how much of a difference there is in the skill and fitness levels between 5s and 4s. I am getting ready to upgrade to 4 and am wondering what to expect, since all it takes to get to 4 is to compete in 10 races. It also seems like there has been a wreck in half of the Cat 5 races I have been in, and I am guessing that this is because 5 racers are just squirly and inexperienced. Are there as many wrecks in 4, and how much more fit are the riders?

i upgraded this weekend and found that the quality of racer changes team tacktics are more in use and the speed through the turns are constant not the old slam on the breaks for the turns

go for it you will feel better when you see faster speeds and not feel beatup and in florida we get paid.....

In my part of the world, there is no difference. Everyone is a Cat 5 until you've competed 10 times, then you are automatically a Cat 4. Many of the people that are Cat 5's have been riding in non-sanctioned events for years are very adept at going fast and riding in groups. People like me only ride in 1-2 sanctioned events a year so it takes years to get to Cat 4.