Cat #5 or Masters ?

f1943r

Dec 27, 2006
I’ve been doing some small locale races in my area and have decided to join USA Cycling. I was sent a membership card as a category 5. I’m also over 45 years old and was wondering when I register for my next race should I register as a cat #5 and race with cyclist of all ages. Or as a masters 40 + and have racers more in my age group? Thank you in advance for your responce.

I recommend racing first with the cat 5's. A lot of masters are guys that were ex 1's and 2's and are still really fast. I have seen masters races finish with the same average speed as the 1's and 2's. 5's are slower but more dangerous. Road racing with 5's is not as bad as the crits. If you crit race as a 5 move up to the front 1/3 of the pack to avoid problems in the corners.

good luck. I started racing when I was 35 and am now a 4. Now I'm going to try and be a competitive 4.

This is a question we get a lot from new license holders.
For sure, you should do nothing but cat5's until you get your 4 upgrade, then jump into the vets scene. Here's a couple reasons.

Reason 1- masters races have many guys that are good enough to win the P12's and the pace can be a bit demoralizing if you are not up to speed yet

Reason 2- you probably don't have the skills yet and wouldn't want a bunch of vets screaming at you every time you took a corner funny or made some terrible tactical no-no

Reason 3- like any sport, there is a technical side and it is best to learn a few things with other beginners, before being thrown to the lions

That said, do a few 5's events. If you find yourself head and shoulders above that crowd, move on. If you are struggling to hang on or are nervous in the group, keep with the 5's until you feel like you belong, then go for it.

YMCA said:
This is a question we get a lot from new license holders.
For sure, you should do nothing but cat5's until you get your 4 upgrade, then jump into the vets scene. Here's a couple reasons.

Reason 1- masters races have many guys that are good enough to win the P12's and the pace can be a bit demoralizing if you are not up to speed yet

Reason 2- you probably don't have the skills yet and wouldn't want a bunch of vets screaming at you every time you took a corner funny or made some terrible tactical no-no

Reason 3- like any sport, there is a technical side and it is best to learn a few things with other beginners, before being thrown to the lions

That said, do a few 5's events. If you find yourself head and shoulders above that crowd, move on. If you are struggling to hang on or are nervous in the group, keep with the 5's until you feel like you belong, then go for it.
Thank you

I know the feeling. Being 39yy (years young, that is) when I first got into bike racing, I came across this same dilemma. Thankfully I made the right choice and jumped in with the 5's. Still got dropped in my first 3 crits, but definitely not as soon as I would have if I had jumped in the masters. Those old guys can really fly:D !

YMCA has it right. In our races we forbid Cat 5's from entering the Masters or Juniors races.

Also, regarding "old guys"... there are some of those Masters racers around here who race Cat 3's and regularly win or place top 3 and they are 50-55 years old. They'll do the 45+, the 35+, and the 3's, and do pretty well in each of them (win or top 3). They win more in one day than most racers do in a year. No knocking the younger Cat 3's as they don't just lay down and play dead - I know because I'm one of the ones getting beat.

cdr

Hi, i' m a Master cat 2 ,50 y. i would recommend that you race in cat 5 for the first year and get some experience and other things:D , in crit's try to stay on the outside you will have a smoother ride and it's a safe position.
For the road race do as many as you can ,try to stay up front and take some lead to ,do as much as you can to get some experience and do not worry for your race results just ride hard and have fun ,before your get involve with master's.Musher

musher said:
Hi, i' m a Master cat 2 ,50 y. i would recommend that you race in cat 5 for the first year and get some experience and other things:D , in crit's try to stay on the outside you will have a smoother ride and it's a safe position.
For the road race do as many as you can ,try to stay up front and take some lead to ,do as much as you can to get some experience and do not worry for your race results just ride hard and have fun ,before your get involve with master's.Musher
Will do, thank you

Minnesota has a Masters 4/5 category that is for 30+ riders that are not the ex CAT 1/2's and a separate Masters 35+ cat which is basically all the ex 1/2's. The speed is a bit slower than the Senior CAT 4/5 races, but normally longer.

I think the guys have hit it on the head though, get some experience and then see where you fit. Me for example, I feel comfortable don't do any of the 'no no's', I think in road racing, but in Crits I'm a bit sketchy because I'm a little chicken of 90 degree turns. So I've been doing more of the small CAT 5 only crits, to work on my handling skills. Next/This since it's almost 2007, I plan on getting into the Masters 4/5 Crits oh and upgrading to 4 finally. But I've only been racing 2 years and well behind the curve.

f1943r said:
I’ve been doing some small locale races in my area and have decided to join USA Cycling. I was sent a membership card as a category 5. I’m also over 45 years old and was wondering when I register for my next race should I register as a cat #5 and race with cyclist of all ages. Or as a masters 40 + and have racers more in my age group? Thank you in advance for your responce.

Depending on where you are, you may not have a choice. Here in Florida we've been told that for the 2007 season you have to be at least a Cat. 4 (upgraded from a Cat. 5), in order to race Masters. That was not the case for the 2006 season.

Bob

Those masters... It seems to me, which I'm 22, that most of them are very very experienced and amazingly fit. I love to train with those guys because they always have stories to tell and I also get advices from them.

They know what's up. I wouldn't want to ****'em off.

good on f1943r for your question!
i'm looking to have a go at my first road crits this weekend - some good advice here!!
being 30+ i was told i qualified for "masters", but i reckon 'D grade' will do just fine gauging from the above advice.

it's funny you should mention the older more experienced riders. i've raced dirt crits regularly now for some time and have quite a time dualling with a 52y.o. rider. he's very fit and experienced (not to mention beats me more times than i beat him!).

Around here its mandatory that you be at least a cat 4 to race in the master's races.

Master's races are so fun to watch. Insanely fast, and they alwasy have the NICEST bikes.