CAT 5 Training Tips Needed

robd2

May 30, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader, first time posting. Second year on the road but first year racing. I’ve made great improvements in my training over the last year and a half from the info gained here.

I’ve seen my FTP climb over the winter after a steady schedule of 20 minute intervals. Here are some more details:

FTP of 220 measured by the 20 minute test.
155 lbs
Age 32
Decent sprinter and climber.

I was hoping for some feedback on my current situation. In both of my short races this year (30-60min) I felt great for the first 15-20 minutes then all of a sudden I hit a wall. I get dropped and never recover for the rest of the race.

I know I need to spend more time on fast group rides and can also improve my drafting/pacing skills but I feel like my aerobic fitness is nonexistent.

I’m trying to develop a new training plan to help this weakness. Should I move toward longer intervals (45min) in the upper L3/lower L4 range?
Or maybe spend more time in pure L3?
Or stick with the 20minute L4’s to keep the FTP moving up?
Or should I do something different entirely?

Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

Were the races crits or RRs?

What happened when you got dropped? Can you identify the point in cycling peaks, and look at your HR and power, and see a problem?

Were you above your FT?

I'll echo the above post, and say that if you're getting shelled halfway through an hour long race, that working VO2 and anaerobic efforts might be the best bang for your buck.

Snuffleupagus said:
Were the races crits or RRs?

What happened when you got dropped? Can you identify the point in cycling peaks, and look at your HR and power, and see a problem?

Were you above your FT?

I'll echo the above post, and say that if you're getting shelled halfway through an hour long race, that working VO2 and anaerobic efforts might be the best bang for your buck.
Thanks for the info guys. I see what you’re saying. It does seem like I need to up the intensity of my workouts. I almost feel like I don’t see that redline I saw in the races enough in my training.

One race was a 24mile RR and the other was a 10mile crit.

Unfortunately I don’t have the power output from the races. My PowerMeter is trainer only. But I can tell you my heart rate must have been over 90% of max HR. Thinking back I’m going to say I probably was above my FT in both situations. In the road race I blew up right at the top of a second big climb.