Cat, Pigeons,Throw

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Vaguely relevant to Australian conditions...or not?!?

Are you safe on a bike?
From the site: This is intended for people who have experience of cycling on the roads. The object is to see if you have got into bad habits. It must not be used as a substitute for training. It is really good for checking you really know your stuff. It is ideal for finding out why you're having such a stressful time on the roads when others don't seem to have those problems. This is not meant to be a tutorial or a substitute for proper cycle training. Intended for United Kingdom use only.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:47:39 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

> Vaguely relevant to Australian conditions...or not?!?
>
> 'ARE YOU SAFE ON A BIKE?'
> (HTTP://WWW.MOPOC.COM/M3/V1/CYCLING/QSTART.PHP)
> -From the site: This is intended for people who have experience of
> cycling on the roads. The object is to see if you have got into bad
> habits. It must not be used as a substitute for training. It is really
> good for checking you really know your stuff. It is ideal for finding
> out why you're having such a stressful time on the roads when others
> don't seem to have those problems. This is not meant to be a tutorial
> or a substitute for proper cycle training. Intended for United Kingdom
> use only.-

You may find the URL is case sensitive (don't know if it's the browser or
the site that is fussy) - http://www.mopoc.com/m3/v1/cycling/qstart.php

Graeme

"Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:47:39 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:
>
>> Vaguely relevant to Australian conditions...or not?!?
>>
>> 'ARE YOU SAFE ON A BIKE?'
>> (HTTP://WWW.MOPOC.COM/M3/V1/CYCLING/QSTART.PHP)
>> -From the site: This is intended for people who have experience of
>> cycling on the roads. The object is to see if you have got into bad
>> habits. It must not be used as a substitute for training. It is really
>> good for checking you really know your stuff. It is ideal for finding
>> out why you're having such a stressful time on the roads when others
>> don't seem to have those problems. This is not meant to be a tutorial
>> or a substitute for proper cycle training. Intended for United Kingdom
>> use only.-

> You may find the URL is case sensitive (don't know if it's the browser or
> the site that is fussy) - http://www.mopoc.com/m3/v1/cycling/qstart.php
>
> Graeme

Well it appears that I'm a bit too much of a wuss to be truly safe. Still, I
very rarely get abused or startled so I can't be doing too badly.

I did really badly.
A danger to myself & other on the road
(doesn't that mean I should be driving a car instead?)

Me too. Some of that **** I wouldn't be game to do in fear of the good old Aussie bogan in his/her government sanctioned weapon purposely knocking me off the bike.

Motorists in the UK are obviously a little more aware of the road rules...

LotteBum

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:40:24 +1000, LotteBum wrote:

> Motorists in the UK are obviously a little more aware of the road
> rules...

Aware, possibly (but doubtful). Adhere, certainly not. It's about as bad
here (Perth) as back in the UK for adhering to road rules. However, it does
appear that the general standard of driving is a little better in the UK.

Graeme

Graeme wrote:

Aware, possibly (but doubtful). Adhere, certainly not. It's about as bad
here (Perth) as back in the UK for adhering to road rules. However, it does
appear that the general standard of driving is a little better in the UK.

Graeme, I hereby invite you to visit Queensland.

Lotte :)

Did the test. Failed. Read the logic behind the answers - agreed with some, didn't agree with others.

I was thinking about road positioning on the way home.

At a T intersection, I pulled up in the middle of my lane to turn right into the top of the T which is a major road. White Ford Laser squeezed up to the intersection on my left. Yep, as soon as there was a gap in the traffic I pulled out to turn right and the fool in the car started turning right too, right into my path. I propped and pointed to the driver and yelled "You...F*CK OFF" very very clearly and very very loudly. The idiot got the message and didn't try to do anything further to kill me.

I even frightened myself. It was close to home too, so I hope none of the little old ladies that live near me heard it. They all think I am a nice boy. But the Laser scarred the living daylights out of me and I reacted without thinking.

For those of you with army connections, I reminded myself of a very loud and very aggressive Regimental Sergeant Major I knew many years ago who could melt young soldiers on the parade ground with one mighty bellow.

I don't think the driver of the Laser will cut off a cyclist again.

SteveA

Marx SS wrote:
> I did really badly.
> -A danger to myself & other on the road-
> (doesn't that mean I should be driving a car instead?)
>

> --
> Marx SS

Me too but then we drive on the other side of the road here.

And too, I suspect that it is also that I disagree with what they think
the correct answer is. I said riding in the cycle lane was more
dangerous than riding on the main part of the road. :) And for most
if not all cycle lanes this IMO is true.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:36:42 +1000, LotteBum wrote:

> Graeme, I hereby invite you to visit Queensland.

No thanks, I hear they allow psychos with shotguns out on the roads :)

Graeme

Graeme Dods wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:36:42 +1000, LotteBum wrote:
>

>>Graeme, I hereby invite you to visit Queensland.

> No thanks, I hear they allow psychos with shotguns out on the roads :)
>
> Graeme

Hey its magpie season.

WHats you r problem :)

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:24:38 +1000, dave wrote:

> Hey its magpie season.
>
> WHats you r problem :)

I wear black and white cycling gear :)

Graeme wrote:

No thanks, I hear they allow psychos with shotguns out on the roads :)

Hey I'll only use it if you **** me off. I promise.

Lotte

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Vaguely relevant to Australian conditions...or not?!?
>
> 'ARE YOU SAFE ON A BIKE?'
> (HTTP://WWW.MOPOC.COM/M3/V1/CYCLING/QSTART.PHP)
> -From the site: This is intended for people who have experience of
> cycling on the roads. The object is to see if you have got into bad
> habits. It must not be used as a substitute for training. It is really
> good for checking you really know your stuff. It is ideal for finding
> out why you're having such a stressful time on the roads when others
> don't seem to have those problems. This is not meant to be a tutorial
> or a substitute for proper cycle training. Intended for United Kingdom
> use only.-

I didn't check all the answers but there's one that's obviously wrong:
"You said a mandatory cycle lane must be used. Wrong The solid white
line means 'cars keep out' and nothing else."

Qld TORUM Road Rules Regs:
"Riding in a bicycle lane on a road
247.(1) The rider of a bicycle riding on a length of road with a bicycle
lane designed for bicycles travelling in the same direction as the rider
must ride in the bicycle lane unless it is impracticable to do so.
Maximum penalty -- 20 penalty units." i.e. $1500

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

cfsmtb said:
Vaguely relevant to Australian conditions...or not?!?

Are you safe on a bike?
From the site: This is intended for people who have experience of cycling on the roads. The object is to see if you have got into bad habits. It must not be used as a substitute for training. It is really good for checking you really know your stuff. It is ideal for finding out why you're having such a stressful time on the roads when others don't seem to have those problems. This is not meant to be a tutorial or a substitute for proper cycle training. Intended for United Kingdom use only.
Well well, no surprise there then. I got two cycle lane ones wrong.

I went by what's the law and was penalised on safety grounds. I'd say that a ``it depends''. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of cycling lanes but sometimes it's the appropriate place to be. Other times they flat out suck.

Aced all the other stuff :=) It works, I rarely have any problems on the road.

"Peter McCallum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1h1r2fh.t6ecn154uaviN%[email protected]...
> cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Vaguely relevant to Australian conditions...or not?!?
>>
>> 'ARE YOU SAFE ON A BIKE?'
>> (HTTP://WWW.MOPOC.COM/M3/V1/CYCLING/QSTART.PHP)
>> -From the site: This is intended for people who have experience of
>> cycling on the roads. The object is to see if you have got into bad
>> habits. It must not be used as a substitute for training. It is really
>> good for checking you really know your stuff. It is ideal for finding
>> out why you're having such a stressful time on the roads when others
>> don't seem to have those problems. This is not meant to be a tutorial
>> or a substitute for proper cycle training. Intended for United Kingdom
>> use only.-

> I didn't check all the answers but there's one that's obviously wrong:
> "You said a mandatory cycle lane must be used. Wrong The solid white
> line means 'cars keep out' and nothing else."
>
> Qld TORUM Road Rules Regs:
> "Riding in a bicycle lane on a road
> 247.(1) The rider of a bicycle riding on a length of road with a bicycle
> lane designed for bicycles travelling in the same direction as the rider
> must ride in the bicycle lane unless it is impracticable to do so.
> Maximum penalty -- 20 penalty units." i.e. $1500
>

> --
> Peter McCallum
> Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

It does say at the start that it's intended to only apply in the UK. Their
laws are obviously a little more liberal in that respect.

Graeme Dods wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:24:38 +1000, dave wrote:
>

>>Hey its magpie season.
>>
>>WHats you r problem :)

> I wear black and white cycling gear :)

Hmmm and my eyesight is a bit average.

Sorry.. in advance :)

Graeme> Aware, possibly (but doubtful). Adhere, certainly not. It's
Graeme> about as bad here (Perth) as back in the UK for adhering to
Graeme> road rules. However, it does appear that the general
Graeme> standard of driving is a little better in the UK.

I'd agree with that but that could be a bit of ex-pat bias shining
through. The general standard of driving in Australia's pretty poor.
Of the countries I've been to Germany's got the best drivers both on
autobahns and in urban.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:06:33 GMT, Euan wrote:

> Of the countries I've been to Germany's got the best drivers both on
> autobahns and in urban.

I'd agree with that too, but it takes a little while to get used to "going
with the flow" at 200+ km/h (my wife on the other hand took to it like a
duck to water).

Graeme