Catalogue of lighting misery

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew Chadwick, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. The normal ride leader didn't turn up this evening, and I rather foolishly offered to come up with
    an impromptu and lead it. Which I did after a fashion, and got everyone back safely. OTOH, the
    moderate-paced 20-25 mile run I had planned turned out to be an -extremely- moderately-paced 30 mile
    one that got back quite late - missing any hope of a worthwhile visit to the pub - due to me cocking
    up the timing and distance estimates. Drat.

    My hat is definitely off to those who can plan -and- lead rides at the drop of theirs: quite a hefty
    responsibility and challenge for anyone as rubbish at this as me. With a bit more local knowledge,
    and once I've built up a better mental map of 'round Oxford, I should do better. I hope.

    But anyway, that's not what I'm here to talk to you about. This is a post about lighting. You see, I
    take the advice of some of the regulars here, and use dual, independant lighting front and rear.
    Tonight, *both* of my front lights died permanently. The Busch und Muller Lumotec+ unscrewed its
    front casing twice, the little clip having failed some time ago. The second time, it went into a
    ditch somewhere north of the Thames. My little CatEye battery thing died peacefully, then cooked its
    halogen bulb on a replacement set of batteries bought from the late-night Tesco after the ride. Just
    to add insult, you understand.

    So, I am without decent front lighting again. Does anyone have any tips for:

    - Dynamo front lights that aren't iseemingly made of cheese (handlebar-mounting ones preferably).

    - Similar battery-powered backup light. Something legal, if possible, but a decent LED system
    would be useful.

    Or any other ideas, of course. I might just go for triple redundancy too, carry a white
    blinkie with me.

    --
    Andrew Chadwick <We're all in this together

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > So, I am without decent front lighting again. Does anyone have any tips for:
    >
    > - Dynamo front lights that aren't iseemingly made of cheese (handlebar-mounting ones
    > preferably).
    >
    > - Similar battery-powered backup light. Something legal, if possible, but a decent LED system
    > would be useful.

    I use this along with NiMH batteries and they will run for 30 hours then 110 hours as a back up.
    Well worth the money, although not ideal for actually lighting your way in the pitch black.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300004473

    Simon

  3. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> said:

    *snip*

    > So, I am without decent front lighting again. Does anyone have any tips for:
    >
    > - Dynamo front lights that aren't iseemingly made of cheese (handlebar-mounting ones
    > preferably).

    I have a Hella lamp, can't remember the model number at the moment but it works without a hitch. It
    came with a bracket for either handlebar or fork crown mounting: I put it on the fork since I have
    cantilever brakes. It has a standlight but unlike the Lumotec it is powered from a PP9 battery.

    Regarding things unscrewing themselves, clear nail varnish makes very effective "mild loctite" for
    plastic parts.

    > - Similar battery-powered backup light. Something legal, if possible, but a decent LED system
    > would be useful.

    I have an Oxford LED blinky which I sometimes carry around in a pannier and fit when necessary. It
    cost about 5 quid and is indeed made of cheese. At that price I consider it disposable though

    I also carry a Petzl Zipka headtorch in my toolkit for finding things that fall off the bike on dark
    nights. In an emergency I expect it could be attached to the bars for a bit of front lighting.
    Actually, I can't recommend Petzls highly enough, wonderful pieces of equipment.

    Regards,

    -david

  4. Simon Mason wrote:

    > I use this along with NiMH batteries and they will run for 30 hours then 110 hours as a back up.
    > Well worth the money, although not ideal for actually lighting your way in the pitch black.
    >
    > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300004473

    I have a pair of them, and while the majority of mt night riding is on lit roads, I did find they
    were OK - with freshh batteries - on unlit ones as long as you weren't going fast.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:42:16 +0100 someone who may be Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]>
    wrote this:-

    >The Busch und Muller Lumotec+ unscrewed its front casing twice, the little clip having failed some
    >time ago. The second time, it went into a ditch somewhere north of the Thames.

    A rubber band wrapped round the narrow part of the lamp will retain the lens part if the clip has
    become weak, yet still allow access.

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:42:16 +0100, Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> wrote:

    > - Dynamo front lights that aren't iseemingly made of cheese (handlebar-mounting ones preferably).

    B&M Lumotec Oval Plus (the oval is more robust than the round one) SON E6 (very good, strong, no
    standlight, available from SJSC) Bisy (same as E6 and much less money, but slightly harder to find
    in the UK than rocking horse dung)

    > - Similar battery-powered backup light. Something legal, if possible, but a decent LED system
    > would be useful.

    I usually run with a B&M 4D Toplight on the back, dynamo powered on the wedgie and battery
    powered on the 'bent, plus a pair of Cateye TL-AU100s, one steady, one flashing, and a RealLite
    in flash mode.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
    Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

  7. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:37:13 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >B&M Lumotec Oval Plus (the oval is more robust than the round one)

    Unfortunately it is also larger.