Catching Faeries..

David Martin

Guest
My daughter was one of the many to catch a faerie on Saturday. This
was the first Dundee start for a Tayside CTC run for many years.

http://flickr.com/photos/62034421@N00/1776531601/in/set-72157602742362480/

We rode past a tractor trimming a hedge. Our enthusiasm was rapidly
deflated along with many tyres forcing an impromptu pitstop to fix a
significant number. However tea, cakes and bacon rolls soon restored
our spirits. I took the kids home by the flat route after lunch - it
was their longest days cycle ever at 30 miles (for a 9 and 10 yo) and
they thoroughly enjoyed it.

More pics from a great day out (apart from the faeries) by following
th elink above. Featuring myself in the role of Mr Bicycle Repair Man
and the inestimable Mr Clinch of this parish in a laid back stylee..

...d

David Martin wrote:

> We rode past a tractor trimming a hedge. Our enthusiasm was rapidly
> deflated along with many tyres forcing an impromptu pitstop to fix a
> significant number.

Total number, including naughty delayed action jobs, came in at 10 for
the whole ride, thankfully neither of mine included. That's quite a
number for about a dozen total riders!

I'd never really believed the more extreme tales of hedge-clipping
apocalypse up until then, but it was a particularly thorough wipeout!
My first thought was "I'll be okay, I'm on Marathons", but then I
noticed "Schwalbe Marathon" on the outside of one of the tyres being
whipped off one of the afflicted bikes...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Oct 29, 11:55 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > We rode past a tractor trimming a hedge. Our enthusiasm was rapidly
> > deflated along with many tyres forcing an impromptu pitstop to fix a
> > significant number.

> Total number, including naughty delayed action jobs, came in at 10 for
> the whole ride, thankfully neither of mine included. That's quite a
> number for about a dozen total riders!

One of those was before we had got tot he hedge though. The thorns
were pretty vicious. The one Rachel is holding had just been pulled
out of her front tyre.

...d

Peter Clinch said the following on 29/10/2007 11:55:

> I'd never really believed the more extreme tales of hedge-clipping
> apocalypse up until then, but it was a particularly thorough wipeout!

Never under-estimate hedge-clipping! Broken glass? No problem.
Flints? No problem. Hedge-trimming? Oh sh**!

I'm tentatively looking forward to testing my Specialized Nimbus
Armadillos to see how they cope. They'd better be good because I don't
want all that weight and rolling resistance for nothing!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

David Martin said the following on 29/10/2007 11:39:

> I took the kids home by the flat route...

Sounds like you took them out by the "flat" route as well :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Oct 29, 12:38 pm, Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:
> David Martin said the following on 29/10/2007 11:39:
>
> > I took the kids home by the flat route...

> Sounds like you took them out by the "flat" route as well :)

Yup. But it was nearly twice as far as they have ridden before. The
biggest hills were the flyovers over the A90.

...d

"Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm tentatively looking forward to testing my Specialized Nimbus
> Armadillos to see how they cope. They'd better be good because I don't
> want all that weight and rolling resistance for nothing!

My Armadillos didn't cope with hedge trimming in Shropshire. It's next to
impossible to give the operation a wide enough berth and avoid the thorns.
I suppose dismounting and pushing one's bike past the operation might
work....

"vernon" <[email protected]> writes:

>My Armadillos didn't cope with hedge trimming in Shropshire. It's next to
>impossible to give the operation a wide enough berth and avoid the thorns.
>I suppose dismounting and pushing one's bike past the operation might
>work....

Maybe 'carrying' instead of 'pushing' to be really sure?

One of the first cycle trips with ex-Mr stopped at a campsite with
recently cut hawthorn hedges between tents. A thorn went through the tent
floor and through his thermarest. A rather miserable cold wet holiday
followed...

Roos

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>
> > We rode past a tractor trimming a hedge. Our enthusiasm was rapidly
> > deflated along with many tyres forcing an impromptu pitstop to fix a
> > significant number.

> Total number, including naughty delayed action jobs, came in at 10 for
> the whole ride, thankfully neither of mine included. That's quite a
> number for about a dozen total riders!
>
> I'd never really believed the more extreme tales of hedge-clipping
> apocalypse up until then, but it was a particularly thorough wipeout!
> My first thought was "I'll be okay, I'm on Marathons", but then I
> noticed "Schwalbe Marathon" on the outside of one of the tyres being
> whipped off one of the afflicted bikes...

oh yes, will slice though tires quite easly given a chance, allways a
hazard in the lanes this time of year, with cars, let alone bikes.

> Pete.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

David Martin wrote:
> My daughter was one of the many to catch a faerie on Saturday. This
> was the first Dundee start for a Tayside CTC run for many years.

I was about to ask somewhat tetchily how come you knew about this ride
when I didn't. Something along the lines of "CTC never tell me
anything, blah, blah ...)

Then I thought to look at the the last newsletter. I really must
remember to read the things that people send to me!

I'm sorry I missed it. From the photos it looks to have been a nice
ride, except for the thorns!

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

On Oct 29, 6:45 pm, Brian G <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > My daughter was one of the many to catch a faerie on Saturday. This
> > was the first Dundee start for a Tayside CTC run for many years.

> I was about to ask somewhat tetchily how come you knew about this ride
> when I didn't. Something along the lines of "CTC never tell me
> anything, blah, blah ...)
>
> Then I thought to look at the the last newsletter. I really must
> remember to read the things that people send to me!
>
> I'm sorry I missed it. From the photos it looks to have been a nice
> ride, except for the thorns!

There could well be another one next month. In true CTC fashion it may
be half an hour later to give time for pre ride coffee and cake as the
cafe at Discovery Point doesn't open till 10.

it was a nice ride. Gentle pace, good company.

...d

"Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "vernon" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>My Armadillos didn't cope with hedge trimming in Shropshire. It's next to
>>impossible to give the operation a wide enough berth and avoid the thorns.
>>I suppose dismounting and pushing one's bike past the operation might
>>work....

> Maybe 'carrying' instead of 'pushing' to be really sure?

But then you might tread on one... ;-)

On 30 Oct, 13:46, "Budstaff" <budstaffdotusegroupatbtinternetdotcom>
wrote:
> "Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...> "vernon" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >>My Armadillos didn't cope with hedge trimming in Shropshire. It's next to
> >>impossible to give the operation a wide enough berth and avoid the thorns.
> >>I suppose dismounting and pushing one's bike past the operation might
> >>work....

> > Maybe 'carrying' instead of 'pushing' to be really sure?

> But then you might tread on one... ;-)

Still, that won't cause flat feet ;-P

David Lloyd