Catching the single speed fever

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by MTBScottie, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    I've been deciding now for nearly 6 months on trying a single speed. I've looked at alot of bikes,
    from the Kona Unit, to the KHS Solo One, to the Surly 1X1, and of course the Redline Monocog. I've
    read alot of what the current single speeders have to say about the certain models and how the bikes
    perform. I've looked and looked and finally decided on a Redline Monocog. It came in last Saturday,
    and had my first ride today. Where did I go? Well first, yep, you bet JD, right down the damn
    sidewalk!!!!! I was waiting for the vehicle to be inspected, and hadn't rode the bike yet, so I
    decided to take a spin around the neighborhood. Just like a few people have mentioned, the bike's
    acceleration is unbelievable, at least to me. I expected to get on and be riding a fairly hard to
    pedal bike. The gearing seems to make you feel as if you are in the middle chain ring of a multi
    gear bike. Got the vehicle back around 5 and immediately loaded the Monocog up and headed for the
    dirt. I had about 2 hours and 45 minutes left of daylight, and I rode every minute of it. Again, the
    acceleration of the bike really amazed me. I also didn't miss front or rear suspension. It was a
    great test for the bike too, because the trails I rode today are just looted with medium sized tree
    roots every few inches in some spots. Climbing, well, still very impressed. There were hills I
    cleared and ones I didn't. Again though, I have to say I'm very impressed at how it attacks hills.
    The handling is ultra precise, and the bike has a very light and agile feel to it. There's something
    that just begs you to ride it and ride it fast when you see it standing still. It's kind of neat
    just looking at it and not seeing all the high tech suspsension wizzardry.

    I know a few people have been asking opinions on single speeds, and I will say that I looked over
    all my choices well, and am very satisfied with what I got. I was concerned at first about the
    Monocog because of another riders experience with seat post slippage, but no such problems for me.
    Would I have been happier with the $549 KHS? About the only difference that bike had was a softail
    and it also appears (but is not documented on the website) that it has disc brake mounts. Would I
    have been happier with the $799 Kona Unit? I'm certian I wouldn't have. I was looking at
    www.speedgoat.com, because they have an online custom bike lab where you can configure some really
    world class frames the way you want, online. I tried to put together a Surly for myself, but
    couldn't keep it under a thousand dollars. For a single speed? Forget it.

    I think the only thing I might change are the brakes. I'm thinking about going with a set of
    Avids. Other then that, for $399.19, I'm certain I could not be happier, and can't wait to get out
    on it again.

    Tags:

  2. I have to confess that I to have finally been bitten by the single speed thing, after years off
    wanting to do I realised that I had enough bits to build up my old Kona Muni Mula (recently upgraded
    to a Titus Switchblade (sweet)) as a 'cost free' single speed (I had to buy a converter for the hub
    but hubba)

    I've wanted to do the single speed thing for ages, but I've just not had enough belief in my fitness
    and if I would be able to stay up with the fast boys ... anyway I took the thing down to the forest
    the other day and boy what a blast, I was surprised at how easy I found it and what fun it was down
    the single-track (not sure about the single brake) I find it more never in the wrong gear, you never
    get yourself into that tight corner and coming out of it you are in two high a gear because ... well
    you cannot change gear to get there

    Cheers anyway

    Chris

    http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

  3. John G

    John G Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I've looked and looked and finally decided on a Redline Monocog.

    Welcome to the Group-W bench.

    > Where did I go? Well first, yep, you bet JD, right down the damn sidewalk!!!!!

    I _-LOVE-_ Urban riding on the SS.

    > Just like a few people have mentioned, the bike's acceleration is unbelievable, at least to me.

    Did you keep that monster 37T front ring on or swap it out for something more sedate?

    > There's something that just begs you to ride it and ride it fast when you see it standing still.

    Aye.

    > I was concerned at first about the Monocog because of another riders experience with seat post
    > slippage, but no such problems for me.

    If you got a 2003 production unit, You'll be fine.

    > I think the only thing I might change are the brakes. I'm thinking about going with a set
    > of Avids.

    Psst.... Hey check these out: http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/brakes/02_dc2.html

    They are PERFECTLY suited for a SS... Simple, light, and ohh so powerful.. and tres' chic, too.

    Other then that, for $399.19, I'm
    > certain I could not be happier, and can't wait to get out on it again.

  4. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:31:53 -0000, Chris Garwood <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have to confess that I to have finally been bitten by the single speed thing, after years off
    > wanting to do I realised that I had enough bits to build up my old Kona Muni Mula (recently
    > upgraded to a Titus Switchblade (sweet)) as a 'cost free' single speed (I had to buy a converter
    > for the hub but hubba)
    >
    > I've wanted to do the single speed thing for ages, but I've just not had enough belief in my
    > fitness and if I would be able to stay up with the fast boys ... anyway I took the thing down to
    > the forest the other day and boy what a blast, I was surprised at how easy I found it and what fun
    > it was down the single-track (not sure about the single brake) I find it more never in the wrong
    > gear, you never get yourself into that tight corner and coming out of it you are in two high a
    > gear because ... well you cannot change gear to get there
    >
    > Cheers anyway
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

    My basic theory is that SSing is actually easier than riding a multispeed on the majority of trails.
    Sure, some steep sections are harder, but on moderate, rolling terrain riding a single speed is
    faster and easier than on a multispeed bike.

    Miles

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > I've been deciding now for nearly 6 months on trying a single speed. I've looked at alot of bikes,
    > from the Kona Unit, to the KHS Solo One, to the Surly 1X1, and of course the Redline Monocog. I've
    > read alot of what the current single speeders have to say about the certain models and how the
    > bikes perform.
    >
    > I think the only thing I might change are the brakes. I'm thinking about going with a set of
    > Avids. Other then that, for $399.19, I'm certain I could not be happier, and can't wait to get out
    > on it again.

    Congratulations. They really are a hoot to ride, and a whole new experience to explore. And
    maintenance is so simple. Lube the chain, check the tire pressure, occasionally check the brake
    pads, and you're there.

    I would strongly concur on the Avids. Once I got the speed dial levers and good brakes the handling
    improved that much more, especially on fast or technical descents. How do you say "in the groove?"

    Paladin

  6. John G

    John G Guest

    miles todd wrote:
    > My basic theory is that SSing is actually easier than riding a multispeed on the majority of
    > trails. Sure, some steep sections are harder, but on moderate, rolling terrain riding a single
    > speed is faster and easier than on a multispeed bike.

    SHHHH!!!!!! Don't let our secret out.

    Most folks still think us SS'ers posses some super-human quality.

  7. ClydesdaleMTB says:

    >Welcome to the Group-W bench.

    If THAT's what SSing does for you, I'm glad I haven't been assimilated yet ;-))

    Steve - you can get anything you want......

  8. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Chris Garwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have to confess that I to have finally been bitten by the single speed thing, after years off
    > wanting to do I realised that I had enough bits to build up my old Kona Muni Mula (recently
    > upgraded to a Titus Switchblade (sweet)) as a 'cost free' single speed (I had to buy a converter
    > for the hub but hubba)
    >
    > I've wanted to do the single speed thing for ages, but I've just not had enough belief in my
    > fitness and if I would be able to stay up with the fast boys ... anyway I took the thing down to
    > the forest the other day and boy what a blast, I was surprised at how easy I found it and what fun
    > it was down the single-track (not sure about the single brake) I find it more never in the wrong
    > gear, you never get yourself into that tight corner and coming out of it you are in two high a
    > gear because ... well you cannot change gear to get there
    >
    > Cheers anyway
    >
    > Chris

    I kind of felt the same way. I didn't know what to expect when those cranks made their first
    revolution. When they did, I couldn't believe how quick it is.

  9. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    John G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > I've looked and looked and finally decided on a Redline Monocog.
    >
    > Welcome to the Group-W bench.
    >

    > > Where did I go? Well first, yep, you bet JD, right down the damn sidewalk!!!!!
    >
    > I _-LOVE-_ Urban riding on the SS.

    Just wondering John, do you have a different tire/wheelset combo for urban riding? Speaking of urban
    riding, I spent the weekend in NYC about two weeks ago and just feel in love with it there. I'd love
    to take it there and ride the city, and through Central Park.

    > > Just like a few people have mentioned, the
    > > bike's acceleration is unbelievable, at least to me.
    >
    > Did you keep that monster 37T front ring on or swap it out for something more sedate?

    Nope, everything was left stock. At first I thought maybe it was to much, but I just got back from
    another ride, and it is just enough to attack and conquer the steeper hill climbs, so I think I'll
    leave it as is. The bike just feels toatlly balanced.

    > > There's something that just begs you to ride it and ride it fast when you see it standing
    > > still.
    >
    > Aye.
    >
    > > I was concerned at first about the Monocog because of
    > > another riders experience with seat post slippage, but no such problems for me.
    >
    > If you got a 2003 production unit, You'll be fine.

    Yep, it's a 2003

    > > I think the only thing I might change are the brakes. I'm thinking about going with a set of
    > > Avids.
    >
    > Psst.... Hey check these out: http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/brakes/02_dc2.html
    >
    > They are PERFECTLY suited for a SS... Simple, light, and ohh so powerful.. and tres' chic, too.

    The Tektro or however it's spelled are ok, but once they get wet, they are pretty much used up for
    the rest of the ride.

    > Other then that, for $399.19, I'm
    > > certain I could not be happier, and can't wait to get out on it again.

    I forgot to mention something else I really love.....the tires. IRC Serac XC. Unbelievable handling.
    GREAT in mud.

  10. Erikee

    Erikee Guest

    Go with Avid Arch Rivals. You'll love 'em. I've got 'em on my SS:
    http://www.mudhen.net/singlespeed.htm http://www.mudhen.net/images/850brakea_large.jpg

    --
    ErikEE http://www.mudhen.net <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've been deciding now for nearly 6 months on trying a single speed. I've looked at alot of bikes,
    > from the Kona Unit, to the KHS Solo One, to the Surly 1X1, and of course the Redline Monocog. I've
    > read alot of what the current single speeders have to say about the certain models and how the
    > bikes perform. I've looked and looked and finally decided on a Redline Monocog. It came in last
    > Saturday, and had my first ride today. Where did I go? Well first, yep, you bet JD, right down the
    > damn sidewalk!!!!! I was waiting for the vehicle to be inspected, and hadn't rode the bike yet, so
    > I decided to take a spin around the neighborhood. Just like a few people have mentioned, the
    > bike's acceleration is unbelievable, at least to me. I expected to get on and be riding a fairly
    > hard to pedal bike. The gearing seems to make you feel as if you are in the middle chain ring of a
    > multi gear bike. Got the vehicle back around 5 and immediately loaded the Monocog up and headed
    > for the dirt. I had about 2 hours and 45 minutes left of daylight, and I rode every minute of it.
    > Again, the acceleration of the bike really amazed me. I also didn't miss front or rear suspension.
    > It was a great test for the bike too, because the trails I rode today are just looted with medium
    > sized tree roots every few inches in some spots. Climbing, well, still very impressed. There were
    > hills I cleared and ones I didn't. Again though, I have to say I'm very impressed at how it
    > attacks hills. The handling is ultra precise, and the bike has a very light and agile feel to it.
    > There's something that just begs you to ride it and ride it fast when you see it standing still.
    > It's kind of neat just looking at it and not seeing all the high tech suspsension wizzardry.
    >
    > I know a few people have been asking opinions on single speeds, and I will say that I looked over
    > all my choices well, and am very satisfied with what I got. I was concerned at first about the
    > Monocog because of another riders experience with seat post slippage, but no such problems for me.
    > Would I have been happier with the $549 KHS? About the only difference that bike had was a softail
    > and it also appears (but is not documented on the website) that it has disc brake mounts. Would I
    > have been happier with the $799 Kona Unit? I'm certian I wouldn't have. I was looking at
    > www.speedgoat.com, because they have an online custom bike lab where you can configure some really
    > world class frames the way you want, online. I tried to put together a Surly for myself, but
    > couldn't keep it under a thousand dollars. For a single speed? Forget it.
    >
    > I think the only thing I might change are the brakes. I'm thinking about going with a set of
    > Avids. Other then that, for $399.19, I'm certain I could not be happier, and can't wait to get out
    > on it again.

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 27 Mar 2003 20:45:09 -0800, [email protected] wrote: [snip]

    Welcome aboard, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
    the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  12. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 27 Mar 2003 20:45:09 -0800, [email protected] wrote: [snip]
    >
    > Welcome aboard, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that
    > is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    Thanks Bill; I actually took the urban ride out today, and wished I hadn't after a brisk sub 20
    degree windchill ride. Then I come home, and there's the Monocog saying, "see, you should have
    taken me" :)

  13. [email protected] wrote:
    > I actually took the urban ride out today, and wished I hadn't after a brisk sub 20 degree
    > windchill ride. Then I come home, and there's the Monocog saying, "see, you should have
    > taken me" :)

    and so, it begins.....