categories

Fork

Guest
What do the racing categories (Cat 1, Cat 3...) stand for? Thanks

--B_3137561689_9870777 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

On 6/4/03 8:31 AM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:62oDa.144829$eJ2.113187@fed1read07...
>>
>> "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> american ****
>>>
>> As opposed to what? How's that The US's system different than any other system?
>

> Yes.
>
> In Belgium, for instance, they don't have categories. That's the way it should be, IMO.

God forbid we should do things the way they do them in Belgium!!

Luckily the United States does not give a **** what Henry thinks we should do either...

You should be working in the UN as the ambassador to "Parrotistan"

Maybe you could get in the rotation to be on the "Fat Masters Security Council"

--B_3137561689_9870777 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding:
quoted-printable

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Re: categories</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">On 6/4/03 8:31 AM,
in article VgoDa.163$Jw6.134942@new=
s1.news.adelphia.net, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringioni.remove.it.=
[email protected]> wrote:<BR> <BR> <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">> <BR> > "Mike
S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message<BR> >
news:62oDa.144829$eJ2.113187@fed1read07...<BR> </FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#008000">>> <BR>
>> "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in = message<BR> >>
news:[email protected]...<BR> </FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000">>>>
[email protected] (fork) w= rote:<BR> >>> <BR> </FONT><FONT
COLOR=3D"#800080">>>>> What do the racing categories= (Cat 1, Cat 3...) stand
for?<BR> </FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000">>>> <BR> >>> american ****<BR>
>>> <BR> </FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#008000">>> As opposed to what? How's that =
The US's system different than any other<BR> >> system?<BR> </FONT><FONT
COLOR=3D"#0000FF">> <BR> > <BR> > <BR> > Yes.<BR> > <BR> > In Belgium, for
instance, they don't have categories. That's the way i= t<BR> > should be, IMO.<BR> > <BR>
> <BR> </FONT>God forbid we should do things the way they do them in Belgium!!<BR> <BR>
Luckily the United States does not give a **** what Henry thinks we should = do either...<BR>
<BR> You should be working in the UN as the ambassador to "Parrotistan&quot= ;<BR> <BR>
Maybe you could get in the rotation to be on the "Fat Masters Security= Council"</FONT>
</BODY> </HTML>

--B_3137561689_9870777--

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB036459.4331A%[email protected]...
> On 6/4/03 8:31 AM, in article
[email protected],
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:62oDa.144829$eJ2.113187@fed1read07...
> >>
> >> "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> As opposed to what? How's that The US's system different than any
other
> >> system?
> >

> > Yes.
> >
> > In Belgium, for instance, they don't have categories. That's the way it should be, IMO.
> >

> God forbid we should do things the way they do them in Belgium!!

In cycling, Belgium is no slouch. They produce a lot of quality riders for a nation of 10
million people.

Italy does it that way also. They are the #1 cycling nation in the world in terms of UCI points and
number of Division 1 teams.

Their system being better is just my opinion as I stated in the post you replied to.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including you.

I like it our way too, real racers have the Belgian federation races, the delusionsal ones and those
'just for occasional fun' can compete in small side-federations with one day licenses etc.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I like it our way too, real racers have the Belgian federation races, the delusionsal ones and
> those 'just for occasional fun' can compete in small side-federations with one day licenses etc.

So, basically, you're average putz can go race with the pros? As far as I can see, that's a good
thing and a bad thing all rolled into one...

Mike

Dalla voce di "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet>, eresiarca minore:

>"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I like it our way too, real racers have the Belgian federation races, the delusionsal ones and
>> those 'just for occasional fun' can compete in small side-federations with one day licenses etc.
>>

>So, basically, you're average putz can go race with the pros?

Yes, be has to find a pro team hiring him. That's not that simple ...

Dalla voce di "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet>, eresiarca minore:

>"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I like it our way too, real racers have the Belgian federation races, the delusionsal ones and
>> those 'just for occasional fun' can compete in small side-federations with one day licenses etc.
>>

>So, basically, you're average putz can go race with the pros?

By the way, it did happen. Marco Fertonani, a pro climber now racing for Phonak and being nr. 488 of
the UCI classment, never raced in any competitive category before becoming a pro. He used to take
part to the "Gran Fondo" races, a sort of not completely competitive races (in the sense that they
are not sanctioned by any official organization) that are very popular in Europe and that are
accessibile to anyone. Usually you have a few thousand people taking part in those races. Fertonani
won 7 of them in a row. A pro team noticed him and hired him. He showed that in fact he was able to
race in the pro peloton.

What is the history here? Didn't it start out as a way of identifying national team riders vs. the
rest? There were only 2 or 3 initially. Having 5 is out of control. When you consider all of the
problems the promoters have in filling some of the races, I think you are correct. At the very
least, it should be simplified. I say segregate everyone in to licensed and unlicensed riders. Then
make a rule that you have to have some number of "training" races before you get to endanger
everyone else. Guys like Tom K could just race with the public. The "real" racers would get much
larger fields.

> "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:62oDa.144829$eJ2.113187@fed1read07...
> >
> > "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > american ****
> > >
> > As opposed to what? How's that The US's system different than any other system?
>

> Yes.
>
> In Belgium, for instance, they don't have categories. That's the way it should be, IMO.

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C32AA9.45177270 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Re: categoriesI can't figure out why you always pick fights with him. = What is your motivation? Do
<[email protected]> wrote:

>=20
> "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:62oDa.144829$eJ2.113187@fed1read07...
>>=20
>> "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> [email protected] (fork) wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> american ****
>>>=20
>> As opposed to what? How's that The US's system different than any =
other
>> system?
>=20 20 20
> Yes.
>=20
> In Belgium, for instance, they don't have categories. That's the way =
it
> should be, IMO.
>=20 20
God forbid we should do things the way they do them in Belgium!!

Luckily the United States does not give a **** what Henry thinks we = should do either...

You should be working in the UN as the ambassador to "Parrotistan"

Maybe you could get in the rotation to be on the "Fat Masters Security = Council"
------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C32AA9.45177270 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re:
categories</TITLE> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY
bgColor=3D#d8d0c8>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I can't figure out why you always pick = fights with=20 him. What
is your motivation? Do you think you will "get even" one=20 day?</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DV><<A = href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>> wrote=20 in
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:BB036459.4331A%[email protected]">news:BB036459.4331A%steve=
@printemp.net</A>...</DIV><FONT=20 face=3DVerdana>On 6/4/03 8:31 AM, in article=20
[email protected], "Kurgan Gringioni"=20
<[email protected]> wrote:<BR><BR><FONT=20 color=3D#0000ff>>
<BR>> "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> = wrote in=20 message<BR>> =
news:62oDa.144829$eJ2.113187@fed1read07...<BR></FONT><FONT=20 color=3D#008000>>> <BR>>>
"Davide Tosi"=20 <[email protected]> wrote in message<BR>>>=20
news:[email protected]...<BR></FONT><FONT=20 color=3D#ff0000>>>>
[email protected] (fork)=20 wrote:<BR>>>> <BR></FONT><FONT =
color=3D#800080>>>>> What do=20 the racing categories (Cat 1, Cat 3...) stand
for?<BR></FONT><FONT=20 color=3D#ff0000>>>> <BR>>>> american =
****<BR>>>>=20 <BR></FONT><FONT color=3D#008000>>> As opposed to what? = How's
that=20 The US's system different than any other<BR>>> = system?<BR></FONT><FONT=20
color=3D#0000ff>> <BR>> <BR>> <BR>> Yes.<BR>> <BR>> = In=20 Belgium, for instance,
they don't have categories. That's the way = it<BR>>=20 should be, IMO.<BR>> <BR>>
<BR></FONT>God forbid we should do = things the=20 way they do them in Belgium!!<BR><BR>Luckily the
United States does = not give a=20 **** what Henry thinks we should do either...<BR><BR>You should
be = working in=20 the UN as the ambassador to "Parrotistan"<BR><BR>Maybe you could get = in the=20
rotation to be on the "Fat Masters Security Council"</FONT>=20 </BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> When you consider all of the problems the promoters have in filling some of the races, I think you
> are correct.

I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain it?

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

1. I heard that a long time ago, the categories were A, B, C. Or A=National/World class,
B=Regional, C=Beginner

2. Then it changed to numbers. Loosely it is: 1=National/World class, i.e. has good genetics and
the time to train 2=Regional - i.e. has a good motor 3=Local races, or has a family and lacks
the time to train 4=Beginner 5=used to be called citizens( not licensed)

My 2 cents on another post in this thread regarding UCI points and Belgium having the most
points and T1 teams. This is a self fulfilling prophecy because majority of the UCI points are
in the European circuit = the so called world ranking points should really be called European
ranking points.

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

> When you consider all of the problems the promoters have in filling some of the races, I think you
> are correct. At the very least, it should be simplified. I say segregate everyone in to licensed
> and unlicensed riders. Then make a rule that you have to have some number of "training" races
> before you get to endanger everyone else. Guys like Tom K could just race with the public. The
> "real" racers would get much larger fields.

IN Nor Cal the promoters aren't having problems filling the more popular categories. In the mroe
popular races if you don't pre-Reg you run the risk of not gettign into the race. We have even had
some Cat 4 women races reach the field limit and either have to turn some riders away or add an
overflow event. The only thing wrong with som many categories is dawn to dusk race schedules when
promoters try to include races for everyone. In Nor Cal most races even offer 35+ Cat 4/5 racesin
addition to a masters 35+ 1/2/3 and a 45/55 race.

fork wrote:
> What do the racing categories (Cat 1, Cat 3...) stand for? Thanks

Since I post my share of stupid questions (no offense meant), I'll break protocol and actually
answer. Of course, I'm not one to speak authoritatively on the rules... (See "Dumbass rules.")

Cat 5 is entry level. After 3 races, you automatically become a Cat 4. Cat 4 is entry level with 3
races under your belt. Cat 3 is a Cat 4 who's won a few Cat 4 races. Etc.

Despite my disclaimer, I'm 100% confident in the accuracy of the above, and you should be
too. Really.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> fork wrote:
> > What do the racing categories (Cat 1, Cat 3...) stand for? Thanks
>
> Since I post my share of stupid questions (no offense meant), I'll break protocol and actually
> answer. Of course, I'm not one to speak authoritatively on the rules... (See "Dumbass rules.")
>
> Cat 5 is entry level. After 3 races, you automatically become a Cat 4.
The USCF rule is 10 mass start races to go from 5 to 4 on the road.

There is a points system for this. You can see the rule book online at www.usacycling.org

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> fork wrote:
> > What do the racing categories (Cat 1, Cat 3...) stand for? Thanks
>
> Since I post my share of stupid questions (no offense meant), I'll break protocol and actually
> answer. Of course, I'm not one to speak authoritatively on the rules... (See "Dumbass rules.")
>
> Cat 5 is entry level. After 3 races, you automatically become a Cat 4.

As posted in another thread for USCF the requirement for the road is 10 mass start races worth of
experience and the upgrade isn't automatic the rider has to ask to be upgraded

> Cat 4 is entry level with 3 races under your belt. Cat 3 is a Cat 4 who's won a few Cat 4 races.

Again for USCF the requirements are earning 20 upgrade points by placng in the top 6 in races with a
min field of 30 riders. Points go 7, 5,4,3,2,1 for the top 6 places. There is also a Min. race
length requirement.

John Bickmore wrote:
> 1. I heard that a long time ago, the categories were A, B, C. Or A=National/World class,
> B=Regional, C=Beginner

Actually the old A, B, C system was based on rider self-categorization. In other words, each rider
got to choose which level to enter and could change from week to week if he or she desired. In my
experience this scheme worked well but for some reason it was effectively superseded by assigned
numeric categories.

There is nothing in the current USCF rules that prohibits race organizers from using rider-selected
race categories. In fact some still do. However, in order for riders to qualify for certain
championships they must work their way up in numerically categorized races.

John continues:
> 2. Then it changed to numbers. Loosely it is: 1=National/World class, i.e. has good genetics and
> the time to train 2=Regional - i.e. has a good motor 3=Local races, or has a family and lacks
> the time to train 4=Beginner 5=used to be called citizens( not licensed)

Actually category 5 was never called "citizens." The official designation of the first four
categories (in old USCF Bylaw J) was: 1 - national or international capability 2 - regional or
sectional capability 3 - state or district capability 4 - local or novice capability

The fifth category was introduced for men in 1994 along with an ill-considered change from numbers
to names. According to the 1994 rulebook, the five men's categories were Elite, Expert, Sport,
Novice and Beginner. However, by popular demand the numeric categories were promptly restored,
replacing these names.

Earlier, in 1989, the so-called "citizens races" for unlicensed riders had been renamed as "public
races" on the grounds that they were open to non-citizens, but some die-hard race organizers
continued to use the old name. This class was eliminated in 1997 when one-day licenses were
introduced.

-Les Earnest

That is what I remember although it wasn't all THAT long ago, was it? It was changed in the
80s...(I think?)