Category of peak district climbs

Steve B

Guest
A "stupid newbie wannabe procyclist" question for anyone who rides in the southern Peak
District(UK)... what category would some of the more popular climbs be classified as in relation to
one of the big tours...for instance the cat and fiddle or snake pass... Thanks in advance Steve

"steve B" <[email protected]> writes:

> A "stupid newbie wannabe procyclist" question for anyone who rides in the southern Peak
> District(UK)... what category would some of the more popular climbs be classified as in relation
> to one of the big tours...for instance the cat and fiddle or snake pass...

It's difficult to make comparisons Steve. I have done the Snake on numerous occasions and Mam Tor
four times. The 1956 BLRC National Hill Climb championships were held there (from the Edale side)
and that is the only time I rode it. Like once to get in from Castleton, and from the Edale side,
once to warm up, once to race and again to get out afterwards.

But as climbs go, they are not as severe as the European climbs nor in general as long. Even Mam Tor
flattens out for a while as I remember about 2/3 of the way up.

I'll stick my neck out and give them a Category 4, although personally I hated Shap Fell on the A6
between Kendall and Penrith worse than any of the Peak or Pennine climbs, steep as they might be.

--
le vent a Dos

Davey Crockett