Cateye Astrale 8 problems

I have been using a Cateye Astrale 8 for a couple of months, and and
generally satisfied with it, especially the cadence feature. I would
have liked it if they could display at least 3 things simultaneously
(like on my older Cateye Mity 3) - say, speed, cadence, and one more -
so I would not have to change displays very often.

Searching through this groups archive, I see that many other people had
my first problem - of the computer popping out of its harness when even
mild pressure is applied. I took this to my LBS, and they just used a
knife to deepen the locking notch on the computer, so the catch on the
cradle went deeper. No problems with it falling out since then -
problem completely solved!

The other problem just developed. The button for changing the display
has just about quit. I cannot change the display with my fingers any
more, and if I use something harder, like a key or pen, and try really
hard, I can just about rotate through the displays.

It looks like the switch is broken/loose. Is there any simple way to
fix this, or should I just take this back to the store, or call Cateye
for a warranty replacement?

Thanks,

Atri

>It looks like the switch is broken/loose. Is there any simple way to
>fix this, or should I just take this back to the store, or call Cateye
>for a warranty replacement?

I would call Cateye they are pretty nice. I have went through three harness's.
this last one once the bike sits overnight won't read. tapping it helps but it
is a pain in the rear. I wish I could find another computer with long wiring for
my bent. it has to have cadence.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

| It looks like the switch is broken/loose. Is there any simple way to
| fix this, or should I just take this back to the store, or call Cateye
| for a warranty replacement?

Something similar happened to my Astrale a couple of weeks ago. It felt
like the physical switch under the rubber button moved out of place, and
there was no effect when pushing on the button. I couldn't find an easy
way to open the case, but I manged to "fix" mine by banging it sharply
on its side (left side, I think), which seemed to pop the switch back
into its original position.

-- Tim Olson