Cateye Astrale 8 replacement wiring kit

R. Srinivas

Guest
Hi:

I somehow managed to cut the wire that goes from the cadence and wheel
sensor to the computer (Cateye Astrale 8). Is there a replacement kit
available and what is it? Or do I have to buy a whole new computer?

Thanks,
Srinivas

"R. Srinivas" wrote: (clip)do I have to buy a whole new computer?
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why not splice it?

R. Srinivas wrote:
> I somehow managed to cut the wire that goes from the cadence and wheel
> sensor to the computer (Cateye Astrale 8). Is there a replacement kit
> available and what is it? Or do I have to buy a whole new computer?

It's a difficult repair but possible. You need to get the
fiber strands out of the wire in order to achieve a solid
soldered joint. That's time consuming.

Yes, the kit is readily available. All the suppliers who
sell Cateye also sell the service parts so every LBS with
new ones should have your mounting kit.

That is among the better arguments for a wireless system,.
Except for broken wires, these things are virtually trouble
free.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> R. Srinivas wrote:
> > I somehow managed to cut the wire that goes from the cadence and wheel
> > sensor to the computer (Cateye Astrale 8). Is there a replacement kit
> > available and what is it? Or do I have to buy a whole new computer?

> It's a difficult repair but possible. You need to get the
> fiber strands out of the wire in order to achieve a solid
> soldered joint. That's time consuming.

Andrew
A quick way to remove the fiber strands is to use a lighter/match and
burn them out. Just takes a split second to do. By the time it's lite
I quickly pinch out the flame and the wire is the only thing
remaining.
Charlie

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> It's a difficult repair but possible. You need to get the
> fiber strands out of the wire in order to achieve a solid
> soldered joint. That's time consuming.

Thanks for the info. I tried splicing by twinning the detached
wires and using electrical tape, but it did not work. Each
wire from the two sensors when stripped has two wires inside
it - one unsheathed and the other sheathed in a very thin
sheath. It is this sheathed thing that seems to have the fiber
strands. Do I have to cut out these fiber strands to splice the
two ends together? I do have a soldering iron and could solder
it, but I want to test it and see if the splice works before
I solder it.

> Yes, the kit is readily available. All the suppliers who
> sell Cateye also sell the service parts so every LBS with
> new ones should have your mounting kit.

I guess I will go and buy the replacement mounting kit. If
I can fix the broken one, I can use it on my other bike.

BTW, I cut the wire while rigging a fixture with a pipe
clamp to fix my SLA battery to the downtube. Beware these
pipe clamps - they seem to be programmed to seek out wires
and chew them up.

Srinivas

>I somehow managed to cut the wire that goes from the cadence and wheel
>sensor to the computer (Cateye Astrale 8). Is there a replacement kit
>available and what is it? Or do I have to buy a whole new computer?

Know that there is a replacement wire kit with a rear mounted speed
sensor. Good for indoor use if you're so inclined.

Twice my wires failed in the first year of warranty. I had given up
on Cateye after the second failure, not even bothering to seek a
replacement. But a fluke email from them opened up the lines so I
told them about the second failure. They were kind enough to ship
another harness out.

Doug

On 7 Oct 2004 22:50:18 -0700, [email protected] (R.
Srinivas) wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I somehow managed to cut the wire that goes from the cadence and wheel
>sensor to the computer (Cateye Astrale 8). Is there a replacement kit
>available and what is it? Or do I have to buy a whole new computer?

Cateye sells replacement wiring kits for their computers. Last time I
needed one (about a year ago) they still had kits for the Micro, so
I'd assume they still have them for the Astrale. Call (800)522-8393
(800-5-CATEYE) or email them at: [email protected].