Cateye Astrale 8

ds0709

May 12, 2004
Anyone have the same issue?

I have just switched from a 30 spoke rear to a 20 spoke rear and for some reason, when I go hard uphill only my Astrale 8 starts to read very funny, it does not read speed correct at all, in fact, it is all over the scale, one turn of the pedals it will say 14 the next 3 the one after that 9 miles per hour.

Now the cadence reads correct as this is a different monitor. The funny thing is, I kept the same magnet from a previous Cateye on the old rim but on the new one I put the magnet that came with the Astrale 8.

Any ideas??

Thanks to all that reply!!

Perhaps just a coincidence with replacing the wheel and your battery needs replacing (if wireless). Sounds like symptoms I have when wireless transmitter battery is dying.

It does seem that it might be a coincidence, but you might also check the space between the magnet and sensor and also the fore aft positioning of the two - they may have moved a bit out of range when you changed wheels.

Originally posted by ds0709

I have just switched from a 30 spoke rear to a 20 spoke rear and for some reason, when I go hard uphill only my Astrale 8 starts to read very funny, it does not read speed correct at all, in fact, it is all over the scale, one turn of the pedals it will say 14 the next 3 the one after that 9 miles per hour.

Now the cadence reads correct as this is a different monitor. The funny thing is, I kept the same magnet from a previous Cateye on the old rim but on the new one I put the magnet that came with the Astrale 8.

Any ideas??

Reset the meter. Chances are you moved the magnet a bit, and its memory needs a good cleaning.

Originally posted by ds0709

Any ideas??

You may find the lower spoke wheel is flexing more than your old wheel, moving the magnet away from the sensor when you apply increased pressure to the pedals.