Cateye Astrale and Mity3 Cycling computers

Jj

Guest
Hi. I'm planning to install a computer on my bike and I came across a couple models at the Mountain
Equipment COOP website. There is the Astrale model which measures cadence and at first blush would
be my choice because of this feature.

There are also the Mity 3 and its more heavy duty version the Enduro2. These units do not measure
cadence but have a "pace" feature. I'm not sure how "pace" works.

I would appreciate any input regarding these units, In particular the Astrale and Mity 3 units. Any
tips re installation also appreciated.

JJ

JJ wrote:

> There are also the Mity 3 and its more heavy duty version the Enduro2. These units do not measure
> cadence but have a "pace" feature. I'm not sure how "pace" works.

This feature simply shows an arrow indicating if you are travelling above or below the average speed
since the computer was last cleared.

I like Cateye computers a lot. I currently own (3) Mity 3's, (2) Enduros, and an older Enduro 2. All
have been durable, dependable and easy to use.

Barry

JJ wrote:
> Hi. I'm planning to install a computer on my bike and I came across a couple models at the
> Mountain Equipment COOP website. There is the Astrale model which measures cadence and at first
> blush would be my choice because of this feature.

This adds complexity to the installation, but some people find the feature worthwhile.

> There are also the Mity 3 and its more heavy duty version the Enduro2.

Those are the same computer with different wiring. I prefer the Mity 3.
If you install it properly, there's no advantage to the heavier wire.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-installation.html

Sheldon "Clear Packing Tape" Brown +------------------------------------------------------+
| Why is it that a country with as small a population | as Canada's produces so many excellent
| musicians? | Some of my favorites include: | Ad Vielle Que Pourra, La Bottine Souriante, | Bob
| Bossin, Bruce Cockburn, Leonard Cohen, | Glenn Gould, James Keelaghan, Gordon Lightfoot, | Joni
| Mitchell, Rare Air, Stan & Garnet Rogers, | Ian & Sylvia Tyson, Neil Young... |
+------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

[email protected] (JJ) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hi. I'm planning to install a computer on my bike and I came across a couple models at the
> Mountain Equipment COOP website. There is the Astrale model which measures cadence and at first
> blush would be my choice because of this feature.
>
> There are also the Mity 3 and its more heavy duty version the Enduro2. These units do not measure
> cadence but have a "pace" feature. I'm not sure how "pace" works.
>
> I would appreciate any input regarding these units, In particular the Astrale and Mity 3 units.
> Any tips re installation also appreciated.
>
> JJ

I have 2 Astrales and both work flawlessly but are a bit sensitive to rain so I cover them with a
twist of saran in a prolonged downpour. Use a Lee Valley 1/2" rare earth magnet in the hex hole in
your pedal instead of the stick on crank magnet...much more sano.

Both my wife and I have the Astrale computers on our Giant road bikes. I love them for two reasons:
1) Durring the winter months where it is either to cold to ride before work or other weather issues,
we both use trainers and the Astrale has a rear wheel speed sensor, so our trainer time and miles
are counted.
2) While training indoors with CTS or Spinervals, the cadance feature is great. It assists you in
training to specific levels without having to guess if you are working hard enough. I feel that
it gives you one more data point to use in setting your training level. Some of that training
systems will specify gear selection and cadance while others use gear and heart rate.

For the price (around $30 on the web) you cant beat it

Bill

"JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I'm planning to install a computer on my bike and I came across a couple models at the
> Mountain Equipment COOP website. There is the Astrale model which measures cadence and at first
> blush would be my choice because of this feature.
>
> There are also the Mity 3 and its more heavy duty version the Enduro2. These units do not measure
> cadence but have a "pace" feature. I'm not sure how "pace" works.
>
> I would appreciate any input regarding these units, In particular the Astrale and Mity 3 units.
> Any tips re installation also appreciated.
>
> JJ

I've got the Astrale on my road bike. When it works, it works well. However, my dumb self turned the
bike upside down once with the computer still on, and it got scratched up - not a big deal. Also, my
left chainstay is slightly tapered, getting thinner towards the dropout. As a result, the mounting
for the sensors sometimes wiggles backwards, and then doesn't sense the magnet anymore. I used to
just nudge it back with my heel... then one time it got caught in the spokes. Maybe the computer
emits some kind of EM waves that make me klutzy too... I suppose it could be installed to work well
if you know what you're doing. The cadence is a nice thing to have, but I don't train all hardcore
like that, so I don't use it too religiously. Good luck! Matt

news:<[email protected]>...