Cateye Astrale CC-CD100 How do I re-enter my accumulated Mileaqe in the Odometer?

John L. Lucci

Guest
I just replaced my battery for my original Cateye Astrale; however, after
RTFM I can't figure out how to reset my odometer milage (Short of tying the
wheel spokes to the propeller of an outboard motor and re-rolling the miles
up.) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

John L. Lucci writes:

> I just replaced my battery for my original Cateye Astrale; however,
> after RTFM I can't figure out how to reset my odometer mileage (Short
> of tying the wheel spokes to the propeller of an outboard motor and
> re-rolling the miles up.) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I think you'll have to write that mileage down and keep that in a file
somewhere so you can add to it whenever you replace the battery. Most
instruments don't have a provision for introducing mileage or other
accumulated data.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

John L. Lucci wrote:

> I just replaced my battery for my original Cateye Astrale; however, after
> RTFM I can't figure out how to reset my odometer milage (Short of tying the
> wheel spokes to the propeller of an outboard motor and re-rolling the miles
> up.) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

There's a tiny, recessed "AC" (all clear) button on the back, IIRC. If
not, remove battery & take a coffee break (to allow any capacitors to
fully discharge), then reassemble and go.

Mark Janeba

John L. Lucci wrote:
> I just replaced my battery for my original Cateye Astrale; however, after
> RTFM I can't figure out how to reset my odometer milage (Short of tying the
> wheel spokes to the propeller of an outboard motor and re-rolling the miles
> up.) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

on my mity 3, the "manually replacing the mileage (odo) into the
odometer" section of the instructions runs as follows:

1. after performing the "all clear operation", select the speed scale by
pressing the "mode" button. then, hold down the "mode" button without
pressing the "set" button.

2. the odo and 0000.0 will be displayed with the flashing digit of 0.1.
enter numbers by pressing the mode button, and move digits by pressing
the st./stop button.

3. set the wheel setting in accordance with the section "setting up the
computer 3".

no idea if that works for the astrale, but if it does, you're in business!

John L. Lucci wrote:
> I just replaced my battery for my original Cateye Astrale; however,

after
> RTFM I can't figure out how to reset my odometer milage (Short of

tying the
> wheel spokes to the propeller of an outboard motor and re-rolling the

miles
> up.) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dear John,

If you want to reset total mileage, the Cateye manual says that ya
gotta reset the whole stinkin' thing with the AC (all clear button) on
the back:

http://www.cateye.com/en/pdfs/CD100v7_E.pdf

Under "Button functions":

"Reset: Select any mode except Total Distance . . ."

And under "Measuring and Display Functions":

"Total distance: Continuously measured unless all clear operation is
done."

Sadly, you can't roll it backward like a mechanical odometer--it has no
idea which way the magnet passes the sensor.

Carl Fogel

On 27 Feb 2005 17:44:15 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Dear John,
>
>If you want to reset total mileage, the Cateye manual says that ya
>gotta reset the whole stinkin' thing with the AC (all clear button) on
>the back:
>
>http://www.cateye.com/en/pdfs/CD100v7_E.pdf
>
>Under "Button functions":
>
>"Reset: Select any mode except Total Distance . . ."
>
>And under "Measuring and Display Functions":
>
>"Total distance: Continuously measured unless all clear operation is
>done."
>
>Sadly, you can't roll it backward like a mechanical odometer--it has no
>idea which way the magnet passes the sensor.
>
>Carl Fogel

Hi, I don't think that he wants to clear the miles listed. When you
replace the battery the computer loses its memory and the miles are no
longer on the odometer. It comes up as all 0000.0.

I think he wants to re-enter the mileage that was on it, before
replacing the battery. My Sigma Sport Targa had a way to do that. I
don't think the Astrale's do. I have both models, the "8" and the one
the OP has.

Life is Good!
Jeff

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:07:45 -0600, Jeff Starr
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 27 Feb 2005 17:44:15 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Dear John,
>>
>>If you want to reset total mileage, the Cateye manual says that ya
>>gotta reset the whole stinkin' thing with the AC (all clear button) on
>>the back:
>>
>>http://www.cateye.com/en/pdfs/CD100v7_E.pdf
>>
>>Under "Button functions":
>>
>>"Reset: Select any mode except Total Distance . . ."
>>
>>And under "Measuring and Display Functions":
>>
>>"Total distance: Continuously measured unless all clear operation is
>>done."
>>
>>Sadly, you can't roll it backward like a mechanical odometer--it has no
>>idea which way the magnet passes the sensor.
>>
>>Carl Fogel

>Hi, I don't think that he wants to clear the miles listed. When you
>replace the battery the computer loses its memory and the miles are no
>longer on the odometer. It comes up as all 0000.0.
>
>I think he wants to re-enter the mileage that was on it, before
>replacing the battery. My Sigma Sport Targa had a way to do that. I
>don't think the Astrale's do. I have both models, the "8" and the one
>the OP has.
>

>Life is Good!
>Jeff

Dear Jeff,

Re-reading the original post, I think that you may be
right--he wants to roll the mileage up, not down, suggesting
that he wants to re-enter the total mileage figure that was
lost when the battery was replaced.

In which case, I think that he's out of luck.

The mechanical switch is known to fail to register before
the rpm gets very high, so just rigging up something to
trigger the switch and run the odometer reading up will
require a long run for a large mileage figure.

Possibly a desperate electronics type would connect the
contacts to some electronic source of impulses that mimics
the switch triggering, but at a much higher rate?

Hmmm . . . I can see a small but lucrative market for a
sneaky little black box whose leads fit most cyclocomputers
and which can be used to buzz your odometer readings up to
as high a level as you think your friends will believe.

"Sure I put in 25,000 miles last year--here, look at my
odometer!"

Carl Fogel

John L. Lucci wrote:

> I just replaced my battery for my original Cateye Astrale; however, after
> RTFM I can't figure out how to reset my odometer milage (Short of tying the
> wheel spokes to the propeller of an outboard motor and re-rolling the miles
> up.) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

On some Astrale models you can't enter odometer settings. You have to
start from zero each time you reset or change the battery.

Other cateye models allow you re-enter a number in the odometer after
you replace the battery.