Cateye Astrale

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Johns, May 30, 2003.

  1. Johns

    Johns Guest

    I would recommend the Astrale. All the features you could want (other than a GPS) and the "old"
    model can be found right now for $25 or so.

    Tags:

  2. Allen Foster

    Allen Foster Guest

    Just don't use it in the rain

    On 30 May 2003 08:56:28 -0700, [email protected] (JohnS) wrote:

    >I would recommend the Astrale. All the features you could want (other than a GPS) and the "old"
    >model can be found right now for $25 or so.

  3. On Fri, 30 May 2003 18:58:44 +0100, Allen Foster
    <[email protected]_THISnewtownbreda.demANDTHISon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Just don't use it in the rain

    I have five Cateye computers that have been in rain storms so strong, I thought I was under water.
    All are working well.

    Sorry to hear about yours.

    Barry

  4. Jake Bellows

    Jake Bellows Guest

    same here, in fact I use an Astrale on the back and a Velo2 on the front on both my bikes, never had
    a single issue in rain or extreme cold/heat. The only thing that bugs me about the Astrale is the
    odo is not programmable, you hit the all reset and all those miles disappear! May not matter for
    some or most but I like to log my miles.

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... On Fri, 30 May 2003 18:58:44 +0100, Allen Foster
    <[email protected]_THISnewtownbreda.demANDTHISon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Just don't use it in the rain

    I have five Cateye computers that have been in rain storms so strong, I thought I was under water.
    All are working well.

    Sorry to hear about yours.

    Barry

  5. Allen Foster

    Allen Foster Guest

    I'm curious now, maybe I have a dud one.

    My problem with the Astrale is that during a heavy rain shower water can get in between the computer
    and the mount so that the contact pins are in a little pool of water. The computer still works but
    intermittantly the speed read out will drop by about 5-10 mph for an instance beofre returning to
    the correct value, if I remove the computer and dry the contact pin area on the mount the problem
    disappears. I have a feeling that the water is shorting out the pins and perhaps causing 'crosstalk'
    between the cadence and speed pin. I can solve the problem with a bit of clingfilm over the computer
    but it's annoying.

    Allen

    On Fri, 30 May 2003 21:29:53 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 May 2003 18:58:44 +0100, Allen Foster
    ><[email protected]_THISnewtownbreda.demANDTHISon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Just don't use it in the rain
    >
    >I have five Cateye computers that have been in rain storms so strong, I thought I was under water.
    >All are working well.
    >
    >Sorry to hear about yours.
    >
    >Barry

  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    The astrale works in the rain up to a point. I've owned several and they all will fail after 50 or
    60 miles of downpour, but will hold up to a 20 mile shower. The design is flawed in that rain can
    get through the front in some situations. I've always thought that a piece of tape over the front
    should fix the problem.

    Frank

    news:[email protected]...

  7. On Sat, 31 May 2003 18:18:07 GMT, "frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The astrale works in the rain up to a point. I've owned several and they all will fail after 50 or
    >60 miles of downpour, but will hold up to a 20 mile shower. The design is flawed in that rain can
    >get through the front in some situations. I've always thought that a piece of tape over the front
    >should fix the problem.

    Why not try a small dab of conductive grease on each terminal.? It's commonly sold in small tubes,
    at auto parts stores and *Marts, as "Bulb Grease".

    Barry