Cateye bike computers going nuts

OughtFour

Guest
A few months after the warrantee expired, my CatEye Mity 3 started to switch
spontaneously from miles to kilometers and (sometimes) back. Sometimes in
the middle of a ride. Not helpful.

I finally bought a new CatEye, and now it is doing exactly the same thing.

So I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. For example, last time this
happened I had removed the CatEye and put it in my pocket while I went into
a store.

I add that I have reset these guys repeatedly but sooner or later the
problem recurs. The time function seems to be unaffected, but the distance
function starts recording what I think are km even though the distance
function indicator clearly says miles.

This is a real problem when following a cue sheet.

I will return my second CatEye (a Mity 8, I think it is called), but I am
worried that the problems is generic and will recur. If so I I've got two
bike computers that flip out.

Anyone have any advice? If it's a common problem I'd expect other people to
know of it. If its me--well I just don't know what that could be.

Thanks!

OughtFour wrote:
> A few months after the warrantee expired, my CatEye Mity 3 started to switch
> spontaneously from miles to kilometers and (sometimes) back. Sometimes in
> the middle of a ride. Not helpful.
>
> I finally bought a new CatEye, and now it is doing exactly the same thing.
>
> So I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. For example, last time this
> happened I had removed the CatEye and put it in my pocket while I went into
> a store.
>
> I add that I have reset these guys repeatedly but sooner or later the
> problem recurs. The time function seems to be unaffected, but the distance
> function starts recording what I think are km even though the distance
> function indicator clearly says miles.
>
> This is a real problem when following a cue sheet.
>
> I will return my second CatEye (a Mity 8, I think it is called), but I am
> worried that the problems is generic and will recur. If so I I've got two
> bike computers that flip out.
>
> Anyone have any advice? If it's a common problem I'd expect other people to
> know of it. If its me--well I just don't know what that could be.
>
> Thanks!

You really should change your cycle route and keep away from those
microwave towers.
Seriously, the problem with your Cateyes is possibly that of the
battery, either from movement or moisture.
If moisture then get a different brand, I have found that Cateyes in the
rain are very unreliable and a homemade rain cover of plastic food wrap
and a rubber band is a requirement for Winter rides. The design of the
computer mounts generally collected water in a pool around the contact
points. In the end I threw my Cateyes out and bought other brands. The
Vetta computer suffers from road vibration and tries to reset every
couple of bikes rides or so. The Sigmas so far have been good.
Also check if the battery that you have is the right one for the job,
both in model and in fitting into the battery compartment snugly.

DD wrote:
>...I have found that Cateyes in the
> rain are very unreliable and a homemade rain cover of plastic food

wrap
> and a rubber band is a requirement for Winter rides.

Not denying the reality of your experience, but not all Cateyes have
difficulties with rain - specifically the Cordless II - I have ridden
many a mile/year in mist to pouring rain without incident/failure with
this Cateye.

Now, temperatures below ~35 degrees F are another story - the batteries
get so weak due to temps that the unit craps out on you.

IME.

App

App wrote:
> DD wrote:
>
>>...I have found that Cateyes in the
>>rain are very unreliable and a homemade rain cover of plastic food
>>wrap and a rubber band is a requirement for Winter rides.

> Not denying the reality of your experience, but not all Cateyes have
> difficulties with rain

Cateyes do vary in waterproofness. An early model (80's) died on me in
one moderate shower; the current Astrale I have on my "rain bike" has
run unaffected through many, many hours in the rain.

Mark "learning to live with rain" Janeba

Mark Janeba wrote:

> Cateyes do vary in waterproofness. An early model (80's) died on me
> in one moderate shower; the current Astrale I have on my "rain bike"
> has run unaffected through many, many hours in the rain.

It rained hard enough yesterday that at one point I couldn't even /see/ the
computers, never mind read them, but they kept working quite happily. One
Mity 8, one Astrale 8.

Jack Hackett for Pope, next time!

OughtFour wrote:
> A few months after the warrantee expired, my CatEye Mity 3 started to

switch
> spontaneously from miles to kilometers and (sometimes) back.

Sometimes in
> the middle of a ride. Not helpful.
>
> I finally bought a new CatEye, and now it is doing exactly the same

thing.

> So I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. For example, last

time this
> happened I had removed the CatEye and put it in my pocket while I

went into
> a store.
>
> I add that I have reset these guys repeatedly but sooner or later the
> problem recurs. The time function seems to be unaffected, but the

distance
> function starts recording what I think are km even though the

distance
> function indicator clearly says miles.
>
> This is a real problem when following a cue sheet.
>
> I will return my second CatEye (a Mity 8, I think it is called), but

I am
> worried that the problems is generic and will recur. If so I I've got

two
> bike computers that flip out.
>
> Anyone have any advice? If it's a common problem I'd expect other

people to
> know of it. If its me--well I just don't know what that could be.
>
> Thanks!

I have had this happen, when the wiring on the mounting hardware became
frayed.

Unless this is a wireless unit, try inspecting the insulation of your
wiring.

Likely suspects are the plastic tie-wraps, they can pinch the
insulation off. This is one reason why I began fastening with vinyl
electrical tape.

rsquared