Cateye cordless with Mavic SL wheels

HandyAndy

Jul 29, 2003
Hi, I've just bought a cateye cordless 7 computer.I have the mavic ksyrium SL wheels so I have to use the mavic magnet, but the thing is...I cant get the cateye sensor to work with the mavic magnet(maybe it isnt strong enough?)When I use the cateye magnet I dont have a problem.Anyone know a workaround to this?I cant put the sensor any closer or it hits the spokes!

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Hi, I've just bought a cateye cordless 7 computer.I have the mavic ksyrium SL wheels so I have to use the mavic magnet, but the thing is...I cant get the cateye sensor to work with the mavic magnet(maybe it isnt strong enough?)When I use the cateye magnet I dont have a problem.Anyone know a workaround to this?I cant put the sensor any closer or it hits the spokes!
Cateye makes a "universal" mount magnet that should work with your wheel.
Check their site FAQ:
http://www.cateye.com/faq.php?subject=com
You can get one from a Cateye dealer or through Cateye direct.

Doesn't the Cateye magnet fit the Ksyrium spokes? I've got the Cateye Cordless 7 and it looks to me like the Cateye magnet would be OK on a bladed spoke.

It fits normal bladed spokes but thr ksyrium spokes are wider than most.Thanks for the replies everyone...Im going to try the universal magnet and see if I have any luck with that.BTW mjw_bryne whats your opinion of the cordless 7 computer so far.

Well, sorry to say this but I don't think it's very good. The transmission distance is meant to be 70cm and I had the distance between the transmitter and the display unit at less than 50cm and it wasn't picking up the signal at all - and this was with fresh batteries and the magnet as close as possible to the sensor. I also tried using my friend's cordless 7 and got the same results. In the end I opened up the transmitter, found the coil and lengthened the wires from the circuit board to the coil and ran them externally up my fork and attached the coil to my handlebars right next to the transmitter, and even then it was unreliable! I wouldn't buy another one. For my next computer I'm gonna get a wired one, I think I will put up with the ugliness of wires all over my bike to have reliable performance.

Also I don't like the cordless 7's mounting system, with the zip ties and sticky pads - makes it a right pain to move around or adjust.

Having said all this, when it does work it works fine - the display is easy to read, the functions are helpful and it's not too finicky to use mid-ride. If they gave it a better mounting system and made the wireless feature reliable, it'd be a fine bit of kit.

sorry to hear you've had problems mjw_byrne, ive worked in a shop here in the UK for 4 years and the various incarnations of the cordless have been have proven to be consistently the most popular and indeed reliable computer of all. There have been a couple where there has been some strange interferrence, which the importers have attributed to steel handlebars or stems blocking the signal, but generally they seem very good. Have you taken yours to the shop and got them to have a fiddle with it?

Unfortunately the old 'Cordless 2' computer had a better mounting system that didnt use zip ties/sticky pads, but they went away from this when they made the 'Cordless 3/Cordless 7' so i doubt they'll be going back down that route in a hurry!

If you go for a wired computer I would recommend going for the Enduro 8, it has a heavier wire than most and should prolong the life of it, particularly if used on an MTB.