Cateye HL-500 II "Donut light"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Baka Dasai, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Baka Dasai

    Baka Dasai Guest

    I bought one of these lights recently, and it seems strangely defective. It casts a ring of light -
    a completely dark centre, with a thin, but very bright ring of light. This is almost completely
    useless for seeing anything. The bottom of the ring is too close, the top is too far away, and the
    sides are, well, off to the side. The area that I want illuminated is the centre, but this is black
    black black.

    I've tried taking the bulb, lens and reflector apart, and rearranging them in every possible
    configuration, but all I get is a donut of light.

    Any experience with this?
    --
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war. But, after all, it is the leaders of a country who
    determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along. All you have to do is

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Baka Dasai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I bought one of these lights recently, and it seems
    strangely
    > defective. It casts a ring of light - a completely dark
    centre,
    > with a thin, but very bright ring of light. This is
    almost
    > completely useless for seeing anything. The bottom of the
    ring
    > is too close, the top is too far away, and the sides are,
    well,
    > off to the side. The area that I want illuminated is the
    centre,
    > but this is black black black.
    >
    > I've tried taking the bulb, lens and reflector apart, and rearranging them in every possible
    > configuration, but all
    I get
    > is a donut of light.
    >
    > Any experience with this?

    Mine has a little bit of that effect, but not enough to be annoying or cause problems.
    Lamp/reflector assemblies do suffer from manufacturing variances. I suggest you return your
    light and get another one. Most Cateye Micros are pretty good, but there are probably some
    "lemons" out there.

    Matt O.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Baka Dasai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought one of these lights recently, and it seems strangely defective. It casts a ring of light
    > - a completely dark centre, with a thin, but very bright ring of light. This is almost completely
    > useless for seeing anything. The bottom of the ring is too close, the top is too far away, and the
    > sides are, well, off to the side. The area that I want illuminated is the centre, but this is
    > black black black.
    >
    > I've tried taking the bulb, lens and reflector apart, and rearranging them in every possible
    > configuration, but all I get is a donut of light.

    Try the similarly priced Micro Halogen or MC-200 instead. We dropped the 500-II in favor of those.
    The 500-II is no longer in Cateye's new catalog.

  4. Bikefixr

    Bikefixr Guest

    Of COURSE the light pattern sucks. That's what seperates a $20 light from a $200 light. For $20, you
    didn't really expect to actually see anything, did you?