Cateye HL200 suddenly draining batteries

Zigpig

Nov 30, 2011
Had this problem before few years back and think we trashed the lamp and bought a new one on that occasion... For no apparent reason this lamp has suddenly decided it is going to consume a lot more energy than it did before and is nothing to do with the batteries themselves. The bulb clearly is not blown as still illuminates but will chew through fully charged batteries in approx 10mins instead of usual 1-2 hours. Is it possible these bulbs get to end of their efficient life without actually stopping illuminating?

Originally Posted by Zigpig .

Had this problem before few years back and think we trashed the lamp and bought a new one on that occasion...
For no apparent reason this lamp has suddenly decided it is going to consume a lot more energy than it did before and is nothing to do with the batteries themselves. The bulb clearly is not blown as still illuminates but will chew through fully charged batteries in approx 10mins instead of usual 1-2 hours. Is it possible these bulbs get to end of their efficient life without actually stopping illuminating?
Bulbs that are dead don't illuminate or do so at a much lower intensity. Why don't you call Cateye technical service? Are the batteries rechargeable? Batteries that have gone all pear shaped can lose charge quickly. Otherwise, I'd think there might be a short in your lamp. Definitely call Cateye.

Sorry, the model is actually an MC 200 if it makes any difference. I cannot see where the possible short circuit is, I have tried looking at the battery contacts and everything seems okay.

Originally Posted by Zigpig .

Sorry, the model is actually an MC 200 if it makes any difference. I cannot see where the possible short circuit is, I have tried looking at the battery contacts and everything seems okay.
It's common for lights to have a regulator so that light output is constant and doesn't decrease as battery charge decreases. The regulator could have a fault in it. I used to have a Ducati 888 that came with Ducati's uber reliable regulator, which is to say it would reliably die in short order. Once the regulator started dying, the battery life would take a dump.