CATEYE HR 200DW <- Any good?

fauxpas

May 20, 2006
Considering getting a CATEYE HR 200DW... Any good?

252-og.jpg

hey,

I had for several weeks considered getting the HR200, but then ended up buying the Polar CS200CAD. Both are pretty equal, but the polar was cheaper.

The polar has HR, speed, and cadence - all wireless. No complaints on the unit. Can upload workouts to the polar website for free.

deez

I've had the Cateye HR 200DW for about a year now. It's good piece of kit, does exactly what it says with no issues. The display is nice and clear and the battery life is excellent. The speed sensor takes a lot of abuse from the elements with no problems yet it's nice and neat. I've had no 'transmission' issues like I had with other wireless computers.
Having said that the Polar CS200CAD looks exceptional value (although I think you have to pay extra for the cadence sensor) at not a whole lot more than the Cateye.
I picked up the Cateye at almost half price on ebay so it was a no-brainer and once I saw the value I didn't do a whole lot of shopping around, as it had exactly what I wanted. I'd certainly recommend it, but there may be other computers out there giving more bang per buck.

kissdznuts said:
The polar has HR, speed, and cadence - all wireless. No complaints on the unit. Can upload workouts to the polar website for free.
I'm really anti-Polar - I don't like the idea of heaving to shell out A$60-90 every time I need a new speed or cadence sensor, since the batteries on them are NOT user replaceable. The HRM strap and computer batteries on the CS200 should be.

As an aside, a mate of mine who uses the Polar Upload feature doesn't feel that is has a whole lot of utility - most features you could do yourself with a decent spreadsheet for not a lot more time, and for any serious information you'd end up investing in a power meter anyway - or so he says.

For me the replacement battery issues with the Polar make it a huge no-no.

FWIW, Cateye wireless computers have a reputation for chewing batteries for breakfast - not too big a deal since they use CR2032s, which you can get cheapky in bulk, and are most definitely user replaceable.

n