Cateye Micro vs. newer LED models

Matt O'Toole

Guest
I've had a Cateye Micro for years, which I use for riding around town at night.
It's barely powerful enough, but it's convenient -- I can quickly throw it in my
bag so it doesn't get stolen, and/or carry it along in case I'm out later than
planned. But it's on the fritz, and and I'd rather replace it than try to fix
it. My question is -- are the newer Cateye LED lights as powerful or better?
How about alternatives, of the same type? (I have bigger lights for more
serious riding, and I'm well aware of generator setups, etc. So hold the
nerd-assed suggestions, please.)

Matt O.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> I have bigger lights for more serious riding, and I'm well
> aware of generator setups, etc. So hold the nerd-assed suggestions,
> please.

Sorry, we can't maked nerd-assed suggestions without knowing what you're
planning to do with the lights.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:55:24 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've had a Cateye Micro for years, which I use for riding around town at night.
>It's barely powerful enough, but it's convenient -- I can quickly throw it in my
>bag so it doesn't get stolen, and/or carry it along in case I'm out later than
>planned. But it's on the fritz, and and I'd rather replace it than try to fix
>it. My question is -- are the newer Cateye LED lights as powerful or better?
>How about alternatives, of the same type? (I have bigger lights for more
>serious riding, and I'm well aware of generator setups, etc. So hold the
>nerd-assed suggestions, please.)
>
>Matt O.

The 3 white LED cateye (with 200 in the name??), same size as the
halogen micro light with 4 AA batteries, is much nicer than the micro,
I find. Brighter light (although less focused and definitely purplish)
and *much* longer burn times on a set of batteries. The switch is
improved over the sliding switch my micro had, although prone to
getting turned on if you cram it into a bag.

Cateye also makes a 1 led model in a similar case- I'd avoid it.

The bracket from the older micro works with the newer one.

The slim, fashionable, silver cateye with 3 leds using AAA batteries
gives less light than the micro style one. Unless space is really
tight, go for the one that uses 4 AA batteries.

Dan Daniel wrote:

> The 3 white LED cateye (with 200 in the name??), same size as the
> halogen micro light with 4 AA batteries, is much nicer than the micro,
> I find. Brighter light (although less focused and definitely purplish)
> and *much* longer burn times on a set of batteries.

Would you say the beam pattern is more even than the Micro's? Narrower or
wider? Some LED lights seem to have too narrow a beam to be useful.

> The switch is
> improved over the sliding switch my micro had, although prone to
> getting turned on if you cram it into a bag.

The switch seems to be the problem with mine. Vibration causes the light to
dim. Switching it off and on again restores it.

> Cateye also makes a 1 led model in a similar case- I'd avoid it.

I can't imagine 1 LED would give enough light.

> The bracket from the older micro works with the newer one.

That's good to know -- an extra for the other bike.

> The slim, fashionable, silver cateye with 3 leds using AAA batteries
> gives less light than the micro style one. Unless space is really
> tight, go for the one that uses 4 AA batteries.

AAA cost twice as much per unit energy anyway.

Matt O.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My question is -- are the newer Cateye LED lights as powerful or better?
> How about alternatives, of the same type? (I have bigger lights for more
> serious riding, and I'm well aware of generator setups, etc. So hold the
> nerd-assed suggestions, please.)

To my experience you still have the best light/wheight-ratio on the market
with the Cateye Micro (HL-500) - but use only top of the line rechargeable
batteries (NiMH 2000 mAh) - that gives you extra brightness and durabilty.
The Cateye HL-1600 is another good option. It has a better projector than
the Micro, but it's bulky and takes up more room in your pocket than two
Micro's.
I also have the EL-300 with 5 LED's - and it helps you to be seen, but as
mentioned by others, LED's gives a vague beam and doesn't help you much to
see holes in the road in front of you.
I did quite a bit of reading and experimenting a year ago in preparation to
the Paris-Brest-Paris ride and concluded that the best (not too heavy)
battery light was obtained with one LED-light (EL-300) in combination with
two Micros. In that way I had backup ready, and I could turn the light up or
down according to the surroundings. Riding in the twilight, in the city or
behind another bicycle, the LED would do fine. And you can help the Micro
to shine the brighter and the longer if you let the batteries rest, whenever
you can.
Three lights on the bike may seem nerdy, I guess. For my winter morning 45
minutes commuting, I carry two lights: One dependable long lasting LED and
one bright Micro.
Should I choose only one, I would definately pick the Micro.
Ivar

On Thu, 06 May 2004 06:01:52 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Dan Daniel wrote:
>
>> The 3 white LED cateye (with 200 in the name??), same size as the
>> halogen micro light with 4 AA batteries, is much nicer than the micro,
>> I find. Brighter light (although less focused and definitely purplish)
>> and *much* longer burn times on a set of batteries.

>Would you say the beam pattern is more even than the Micro's? Narrower or
>wider? Some LED lights seem to have too narrow a beam to be useful.

I'd say the beam pattern is more even and wider all in all. But
different in quality. Softer light. I would *not* use the LED model to
see the roadway on dark streets. I *have* used the halogen micro for
seeing potholes in the past, at slow speeds.

Neither light is worth much if you need to light up the roadway for
serious riding on dark streets. You say that you have other lighting
systems. For the town trips, as a back up or a 'to-be-seen' light, I'd
go with the LED model.

>> The switch is
>> improved over the sliding switch my micro had, although prone to
>> getting turned on if you cram it into a bag.

>The switch seems to be the problem with mine. Vibration causes the light to
>dim. Switching it off and on again restores it.

Yep, the switch on both of the micros I owned were problems. The LED
switch is a soft membrane push switch which has had no problems in
over a year, including riding in the rain. Well, except that it can be
turned on bumping around in a bag if you aren't careful.

>> Cateye also makes a 1 led model in a similar case- I'd avoid it.

>I can't imagine 1 LED would give enough light.
>
>> The bracket from the older micro works with the newer one.

>That's good to know -- an extra for the other bike.
>
>> The slim, fashionable, silver cateye with 3 leds using AAA batteries
>> gives less light than the micro style one. Unless space is really
>> tight, go for the one that uses 4 AA batteries.

>AAA cost twice as much per unit energy anyway.
>
>Matt O.

I've had decent results with rechargable alkalines. 4 in the light,
and another 4 in the seat bag as backup.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I've had a Cateye Micro for years, which I use for riding around town at
> night. It's barely powerful enough, but it's convenient -- I can quickly
> throw it in my bag so it doesn't get stolen, and/or carry it along in
> case I'm out later than planned. But it's on the fritz, and and I'd
> rather replace it than try to fix
> it. My question is -- are the newer Cateye LED lights as powerful or
> better? How about alternatives, of the same type? (I have bigger
> lights for more serious riding, and I'm well aware of generator
> setups, etc. So hold the nerd-assed suggestions, please.)
> Matt O.

I've got both Cateye 2.4W halogen (it's not the Micro but I'm pretty
sure it uses the same bulb as the Micro - 4.8V, 0.5A powered by 4AA's)
and a 5-LED Cateye. The LED is OK for dark country roads but does not
provide enough light for city riding. Even on dark country roads, I
still bring a halogen that I turn on for corners and descents.

I also have a SigmaSport halogen powered by 5AA's which is brighter than
the Cateye halogen.

--

Ivar Hesselager wrote:

> To my experience you still have the best light/wheight-ratio on the
> market with the Cateye Micro (HL-500) - but use only top of the line
> rechargeable batteries (NiMH 2000 mAh) - that gives you extra
> brightness and durabilty.

This is what I do too. But since I do a lot of random 15 minute trips, I lose
track of how much charge is left. So I get caught out without lights, and I
have to stop at a store to buy AAs.

> The Cateye HL-1600 is another good option.
> It has a better projector than the Micro, but it's bulky and takes
> up more room in your pocket than two Micro's.

> I also have the EL-300 with 5 LED's - and it helps you to be seen,
> but as mentioned by others, LED's gives a vague beam and doesn't help
> you much to see holes in the road in front of you.

Neither does the Micro, as far as I'm concerned! I wind up creeping down hills,
but at least I'm visible and legal. If you think the EL-300 is worse, then
maybe I should just buy another Micro.

> I did quite a bit of reading and experimenting a year ago in
> preparation to the Paris-Brest-Paris ride and concluded that the best
> (not too heavy) battery light was obtained with one LED-light
> (EL-300) in combination with two Micros. In that way I had backup
> ready, and I could turn the light up or down according to the
> surroundings. Riding in the twilight, in the city or behind another
> bicycle, the LED would do fine. And you can help the Micro to shine
> the brighter and the longer if you let the batteries rest, whenever
> you can.
> Three lights on the bike may seem nerdy, I guess. For my winter
> morning 45 minutes commuting, I carry two lights: One dependable long
> lasting LED and one bright Micro.

For more serious around town riding and commuting, I use a Nightsun Sunsport
helmet light. It's just enough light to really see by, without ever slowing
down much. I still keep the Micro on the handlebars to be seen by, and present
the light signature of a bicycle. The Sunsport is still OK for trips to the
store, since it lives on my helmet, w/ the battery in the backpack.

I've been looking for one of those 6W bulbs for the Micro, which were part of a
high power Micro kit with an external battery. Rechargeables should drive it
fine, and still give enough runtime for short trips. It would probably match
the Sunsport's output, making it unnecessary. The ultimate compact handlebar
light for around town...

> Should I choose only one, I would definately pick the Micro.

OK, done, unless someone else has a better idea.

Matt O.

> I've had a Cateye Micro for years, which I use for riding around town
> at night. It's barely powerful enough, but it's convenient
> it's on the fritz, and and I'd rather replace it than try to fix it.
> are the newer Cateye LED lights as powerful or better?

I did a side-by-side test of my wife's Cateye Micro HL-500II and a
Cateye Opticube EL-300, and the Micro is brighter; but I agree with
Gonzo_Bob, the Sigma Sport Ellipsoid FL-100 is brighter than either of
these Cateyes. It's also easier to recharge: just insert the charger
outplut plug into the input jack on the light, and leave it overnight.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I've had a Cateye Micro for years, which I use for riding around town
> at night. It's barely powerful enough, but it's convenient -- I can
> quickly throw it in my bag so it doesn't get stolen, and/or carry it
> along in case I'm out later than planned. But it's on the fritz, and
> and I'd rather replace it than try to fix it. My question is -- are
> the newer Cateye LED lights as powerful or better? How about
> alternatives, of the same type? (I have bigger lights for more
> serious riding, and I'm well aware of generator setups, etc. So hold
> the nerd-assed suggestions, please.)
>
> Matt O.

I have a Planet Bike spot 3 LED. This thing is great (for my riding).

It takes 3AAA batteries which seem to last forever, so I can only tell you
that the battery life is excellent as my batteries have lasted for many
months without dimming (almost a year now I think).

It has 3 white LEDs, definitely bluish light, and functions in both the
steady and blinking mode. I like the blinking mode because it saves
battery life and cars seem to recognize me as a bicycle (or at least a
slow moving oncoming vehicle) much sooner that way. Can't really tell you
about the beam pattern, I wouldn't want to navigate only by this light any
faster than a jogging pace, but it's great for being seen by cars. I can
see the blinking light reflected off stop signs from more than a block
away. There's also plenty of light for me to navigate the dark alley that
leads to my garage, where I always used to walk into my neighbours garbage
cans.

Probably the nicest thing about it is the packaging. It's completely
waterproof and very solidly made, and you have to hold down the on button
for a couple seconds to turn it on/off (so it doesn't go off in my bag
like my rear blinky always does). Tap the button while it's on to switch
between blink and solid. The mounting is with a cam-type quick release
which adjusts quickly to fit on all my bikes with different diameter
handlebars and no mounting hardware. Comes off with a flick of the
fingers.

I use this light on flat bars, road bars, and as a flashlight when I go
touring/camping. It cost me $21 canadian. Planet bike also makes a 1W LED
and a halogen type light in the same packaging. Highly recommended.

On Fri, 07 May 2004 06:14:20 GMT, "Jacobe Hazzard"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I use this light on flat bars, road bars, and as a flashlight when I go
>touring/camping. It cost me $21 canadian. Planet bike also makes a 1W LED
>and a halogen type light in the same packaging. Highly recommended.

The 1W Super Spot gives better light than the 3 led model. The
battery life is only 30 hours. The names of the LED models is
confusing when a double or triple LED gives less light than the 1W
single LED.

"Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Matt O'Toole wrote:
> > I've had a Cateye Micro for years, which I use for riding around town
> > at night. It's barely powerful enough, but it's convenient -- I can
> > quickly throw it in my bag so it doesn't get stolen, and/or carry it
> > along in case I'm out later than planned. But it's on the fritz, and
> > and I'd rather replace it than try to fix it. My question is -- are
> > the newer Cateye LED lights as powerful or better? How about
> > alternatives, of the same type? (I have bigger lights for more
> > serious riding, and I'm well aware of generator setups, etc. So hold
> > the nerd-assed suggestions, please.)
> >
> > Matt O.

> I have a Planet Bike spot 3 LED. This thing is great (for my riding).
>
> It takes 3AAA batteries which seem to last forever, so I can only tell you
> that the battery life is excellent as my batteries have lasted for many
> months without dimming (almost a year now I think).
>
> It has 3 white LEDs, definitely bluish light, and functions in both the
> steady and blinking mode. I like the blinking mode because it saves
> battery life and cars seem to recognize me as a bicycle (or at least a
> slow moving oncoming vehicle) much sooner that way. Can't really tell you
> about the beam pattern, I wouldn't want to navigate only by this light any
> faster than a jogging pace, but it's great for being seen by cars. I can
> see the blinking light reflected off stop signs from more than a block
> away. There's also plenty of light for me to navigate the dark alley that
> leads to my garage, where I always used to walk into my neighbours garbage
> cans.
>
> Probably the nicest thing about it is the packaging. It's completely
> waterproof and very solidly made, and you have to hold down the on button
> for a couple seconds to turn it on/off (so it doesn't go off in my bag
> like my rear blinky always does). Tap the button while it's on to switch
> between blink and solid. The mounting is with a cam-type quick release
> which adjusts quickly to fit on all my bikes with different diameter
> handlebars and no mounting hardware. Comes off with a flick of the
> fingers.
>
> I use this light on flat bars, road bars, and as a flashlight when I go
> touring/camping. It cost me $21 canadian. Planet bike also makes a 1W LED
> and a halogen type light in the same packaging. Highly recommended.

I have a planet bike 1W LED light that I bought about 1 week ago.
I've been using it for commuting to work (16 miles round trip). The
roads I travel are mostly suburban and side roads. It's got a pretty
strong beam for 1W of power. The equivelant halogen would be about
5-6 watts I would say. It does have a bluish tint to the light, which
adds a nice clean look to the beam of light. I get a lot of respect
from other cars using this light. I do have an Arc light that I use
during the winter time when my morning commute is pitch dark. But
during Spring and Summer months, this light is great since my morning
commutes are usually at the crack of dawn. My Arc light is needed
during the winter months to provide the visibility to some roads that
don't have any surrounding lights. This set-up works good for me
since since during the hot summer months, I can now fit a water bottle
in my water bottle cage. The Arc I have has an external battery which
takes up my water cage. But during winter, I never really have a need
to drink water on my short commute hops.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've had a Cateye Micro for years, which I use for riding around town at night.
> It's barely powerful enough, but it's convenient -- I can quickly throw it in my
> bag so it doesn't get stolen, and/or carry it along in case I'm out later than
> planned. But it's on the fritz, and and I'd rather replace it than try to fix
> it. My question is -- are the newer Cateye LED lights as powerful or better?
> How about alternatives, of the same type? (I have bigger lights for more
> serious riding, and I'm well aware of generator setups, etc. So hold the
> nerd-assed suggestions, please.)
>
> Matt O.

For a few years I have used the Cateye HL-EL110, the kind that
requires 4 AA batteries and consumes 2.5 watts. Like you, I have more
powerful lights for other uses but use these for all-nighters. I was
never really impressed with the amount of light ("bright enough to let
you see what you just ran over") but they were satisfactory.

A few weeks ago I had my Cateye fly off the handlebars and break on a
steep downhill. A fellow rider let me use his spare light, a Cateye
Compact Opticube LED light. I appreciate him letting me use it but I
have to say that the light was useless. The tiny amount of light that
it put out was not good for anything past 5 mph riding.

Just my experience,
Tom

Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 06 May 2004 15:19:55 GMT received comm from
"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> on channel rec.bicycles.tech:

: I've been looking for one of those 6W bulbs for the Micro, which were part of a
: high power Micro kit with an external battery. Rechargeables should drive it
: fine, and still give enough runtime for short trips. It would probably match
: the Sunsport's output, making it unnecessary. The ultimate compact handlebar
: light for around town...

I'm also thinking of putting a 6W bulb in my standard HL-500II, but I'm not sure
if it will handle the additional heat generated from it (compared with the 2.4W
bulb it's designed for).

Anyone who has actually tried?

Also, anyone who knows the difference between the standard housing, and the
housing who comes with the high power version?

I would be very interested in this!

Best regards,

martin törnsten

--
http://82.182.73.126/

Martin Törnsten wrote:

> Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 06 May 2004 15:19:55 GMT received
> comm from "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> on channel
> rec.bicycles.tech:
>
>> I've been looking for one of those 6W bulbs for the Micro, which
>> were part of a high power Micro kit with an external battery.
>> Rechargeables should drive it fine, and still give enough runtime
>> for short trips. It would probably match the Sunsport's output,
>> making it unnecessary. The ultimate compact handlebar light for
>> around town...

> I'm also thinking of putting a 6W bulb in my standard HL-500II, but
> I'm not sure if it will handle the additional heat generated from it
> (compared with the 2.4W bulb it's designed for).
>
> Anyone who has actually tried?
>
> Also, anyone who knows the difference between the standard housing,
> and the housing who comes with the high power version?
>
> I would be very interested in this!

Apparently there's a different reflector and/or lens, which comes in a kit from
with the bulb. I learned this from the Bikecurrent archives, but I haven't been
able to find a shop who cares to get it for me from Cateye. I called Cateye,
and they told me to get my shop to call. Catch-22.

FWIW, Supergo had a big pile of these 6W Micros on sale 3-4 years ago. So I
know the parts exist.

Matt O.

I have seen the Cateye products and heard a few comments and, quite
frankly, I would rather go with Planet Bike's offering.

Cateye EL-200 and EL-400 are good be-seen lights, although a bit tiny.
The EL-300 could help you see if you ride slowly, but it's front-end
heavy and tends to break lookse from its bracket.

I have the tiny Planet Bike light with 3 LEDs in a triangle. It's
great for being seen, and the "flashing" option is very useful in
central business districts to get the pedestrians off the street. I
often use it for that very reason in conjunction with my generator. It
uses 2 AA batteries and is very compact. I have also used it a few
times pointing down to lighten up potholes. Not useful as a headlight,
though. The other 3-LED headlight -- with 3 LEDs in a vertical row is,
I think _slightly_ more powerful.

The 1 W LED is in a category by itself. It uses 4 AA batteries so it's
not ultra-compact, but it's well made, sturdy, the weight is centred
on its bracket, and the switch won't depress by itself. It shoots its
beam about as far as the Micro Halogen, but it throws light at a wider
angle, though a bit too much is wasted upward. It reminds me of a 5 W
MR-11 beam. I would ride in the dark with it, albeit not at downhill
speed, and I find it's a great supplement to my Lumotec generator
headlight, whether it's for pointing down towards potholes or for the
occasional trail riding.

I find only one drawback of Planet Bike's clamp vs the clamp of the
Micro Halogen. With the Micro Halogen,. one may turn the lamp 5-10
degrees sideways; no such option for the Planet Bike lamps.

Michel Gagnon

On Sun, 09 May 2004 18:27:23 -0700, Michel Gagnon wrote:

> The 1 W LED is in a category by itself. It uses 4 AA batteries so it's
> not ultra-compact, but it's well made, sturdy, the weight is centred
> on its bracket, and the switch won't depress by itself. It shoots its
> beam about as far as the Micro Halogen, but it throws light at a wider
> angle, though a bit too much is wasted upward. It reminds me of a 5 W
> MR-11 beam. I would ride in the dark with it, albeit not at downhill
> speed,

Well, I have this light, and would only depend on it to see in
emergencies (like when my rechargable battery on my Niterider has died).
I use it as a backup and am quite pleased with it for that. It is
also a very good "be seen" light. In addition, it is now my best
general-purpose flashlight. I always know where it is, and it is
brighter than most other flashlights.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos

Thomas Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:
>A few weeks ago I had my Cateye fly off the handlebars and break on a
>steep downhill.

I'll bet the corners of the mounting rails gradually chipped off until the
whole thing disintegrated. The newer Cateye mounting design does not seem
adequate.