Cateye parts

News.Freeserve.

Guest
does anyone do them in the UK? i have a HL-EL100 front light which i removed from my stolen bike and
need the bracket

if anyone knows, or gets offered a rocky moutain in the pub, give me a shout

> removed from my stolen bike and need the bracket

In the past I've gone into local pawn-type shops and looked at the brackets on their bikes for
something compatible. In some cases its taken some tape/glue to make the brackets compatible but its
better than throwing out a good light. Usually they'll sell them to you for a couple of quid (if you
don't ask too many questions about why they have the bike & bracket without a matching light).

In news:[email protected], news.freeserve.net <[email protected]> typed:
> does anyone do them in the UK? i have a HL-EL100 front light which i removed from my stolen bike
> and need the bracket

I've seen brackets in Action Bikes Reading. AFAIK Cateye has standardised mounts on all their
lamps...(at least their more recent ones).

Action Bikes franchises are dotted around the UK so there may be one near you.

Alex

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:22:26 +0000, news.freeserve.net wrote:

> does anyone do them in the UK? i have a HL-EL100 front light which i removed from my stolen bike
> and need the bracket

My LBS (Moons, Newmarket) is trying to get some Cateye brackets for me from the UK importers (Zyro
in York), but it does not seem to be an easy or quick process. You can find the bracket part numbers
on the Cateye (Japan) website <http://www.cateye.co.jp/cateye/tlhtml/tlparts.html>, but Zyro do not
seem keen to supply them :-(

Mike

Write to Cateye in Japan, explain the problem and they will probably send you one free to get
rid of you.

Some years ago I wrote to them complaining about how often I had to get new speedometer mounts here
in Ireland because the roads caused vibration which quickly wore the contacts (true).

They sent me an indescipherable letter and a free good quality computer!!

> does anyone do them in the UK? i have a HL-EL100 front light which i removed from my stolen bike
> and need the bracket

If you can't find one in an LBS then Wiggle do Cateye brackets.

Colin

"Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Cateye still manage to do
well on the Engrish stakes. I know when I look at ) my Astrale 2 I must "duly consider to traffic
safety" :)

I've often wondered what the standard of the other eight or nine languages is on those multi-lingual
leaflets. It's undoubtedly better than my Japanese.

I'm still wondering why my speedometer claims to stop measuring tenths of a mile an hour when I
cycle faster than 60mph.

In news:[email protected], Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee <[email protected]> typed:

> They sent me an indescipherable letter and a free good quality computer!!

Cateye still manage to do well on the Engrish stakes. I know when I look at my Astrale 2 I must
"duly consider to traffic safety" :)

Alex

"Gear id Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Write to Cateye in Japan, explain the problem and they will probably send you one free to get
> rid of you.
>
> Some years ago I wrote to them complaining about how often I had to get new speedometer mounts
> here in Ireland because the roads caused vibration which quickly wore the contacts (true).
>
> They sent me an indescipherable letter and a free good quality computer!!

Is that the sound of a hundred pairs of hands furiously typing letters to Japan in the hope of a
freebie that I can hear? :)

Have fun!

Graeme

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:22:26 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:

>does anyone do them in the UK? i have a HL-EL100 front light which i removed from my stolen bike
>and need the bracket
>
>if anyone knows, or gets offered a rocky moutain in the pub, give me a shout

http://www.cateye.com/smallparts01.php?products_id=31

I don't know how much this will help, as this is a US site; but at least it has the part number.

Geraint Jones wrote:
> "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]"
<[email protected]>
> wrote: ( Cateye still manage to do well on the Engrish stakes.
> know when I look at ) my Astrale 2 I must "duly consider to
traffic
> safety" :)
>
> I've often wondered what the standard of the other eight or
nine
> languages is on those multi-lingual leaflets. It's undoubtedly better than my Japanese.
>
> I'm still wondering why my speedometer claims to stop measuring tenths of a mile an hour when I
> cycle faster than 60mph.

Are you sure it's not 62.1.

It could be because the computer is measuring kph and can only hold three digits in memory before
converting to mph, So it can go to 99.9kph which is converted to 62.1mph and at 100kph the computer
loses the tenth and doesn't recover it after conversion.

ICBW but it sounds right to me :)
--
Mark

"the Mark" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Geraint Jones wrote: ) > I'm still wondering why my
speedometer claims to stop measuring ( > tenths of ) > a mile an hour when I cycle faster than
60mph. ( Are you sure it's not 62.1.

Of course I'm not. Wasn't it in urc that I remarked only the other year that one of the virtues of
the Oxford motorway coach services claimed on the sides of the vehicles is that they are speed
regulated to 62mph?

( It could be because the computer is measuring kph and can only ) hold three digits in memory
before converting to mph, So it can ( go to 99.9kph which is converted to 62.1mph and at 100kph the
) computer loses the tenth and doesn't recover it after conversion.

Yes, probably, but I'm still wondering why the manual bothers to tell me. I'm certainly not going to
be exceeding 60mph on my bicycle, and anyone who does is unlikely to be reading their speedometer.

Geraint Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, probably, but I'm still wondering why the manual bothers to tell me. I'm certainly not going
> to be exceeding 60mph on my bicycle, and anyone who does is unlikely to be reading their
> speedometer.

Cycle computers are popular with many cash strapped rally car crews.

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:20:09 +0000, Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] wrote:

> I've seen brackets in Action Bikes Reading. AFAIK Cateye has standardised mounts on all their
> lamps...(at least their more recent ones).

Indeed. However the problem is that there are many sizes of tube to which the lamp-bracket needs to
be mounted, and it's those that can be tricky to get hold of. In particular I'm trying to get clamps
to attach rear lights to a couple of racks and need clamps for about 12mm/0.5inch tubes. It's these
(and clamps for >30mm tubes) that Zyro do not keep in stock. I wouldn't expect any LBS to have them,
but the national importer should if they're on the manufacturer's list.

Trying to use the same lamps with two radicaly different bikes is tricky. I don't want to have two
sets of lamps because of the difficulties of keeping all the batteries charged, and CatEye offer a
set of very adaptable brackets so that I can use one set of lights (2 front & 2 rear in fact) on two
bikes, leaving the brackets permanently attached to the bikes. Well thats my theory anyway.

Mike