cateye velo 5 to velo 8

bobsbarricades

Jun 30, 2007
just had a thought while reading through the velo5 manual. The vel8 has some extra features and I was wondering if you can fit the velo8 into the clip that holds the velo 5. that would be hunky dory :)

Hello. It seems to me that Velo5 and Velo8 shares its clip, after all sensor measures same data (rpm of wheel)...

Hugo :D

iqaro said:
Hello. It seems to me that Velo5 and Velo8 shares its clip, after all sensor measures same data (rpm of wheel)...

Hugo :D
thanks!

Turns out I threw out the instructions after reading them because they were pretty straightforward...but now I notice that my velo5 doesn't turn off automatically. I don't want to have to keep changing the battery so how can I change that?

iqaro said:
Hello...

Change the display until it shows the hour... then press the button for about four seconds... computer will turn off.. By the way, automatic off delay is more or less 10 minutes, sometimes it appears disabled.

This is the link to Velo5/8 manual (in pdf)..

http://www.cateye.com/sites/cateye/upload/manuals/en/VL500.pdf

Hugo:D
Thank you so much! haha, I really appreciate that. I think I mistook the 'auto-off' funtion for the 'battery saving' one.

I do have one quetsion more however.... Tire size. i assume it's important to get an accurate reading, but I am having trouble making heads or tails of the manual on what to input.

I don't have a ruler, but my rimms say they are 622 X 18mm

If I had 'normal' tires what would that translate into velo speak in? haha, thank you so much!

Hello...

The wheel must have an identification as: 700*XXc where XX is the wheel diameter in mm. In the Cateye manual, you'll find a table with perimeter in cm for each wheel designation. As an example for a 700x25c wheel, perimeter is 211cm.

Regards

iqaro said:
The *tire* must have such an identification...
I am going to have to assume that what is written on the rim is the same as the rubber tire as the rubber is totally bare :)

In any event I have found the 622x18 and it equals 700x18c and L= 207...

but how do I tell the cateye that? That is where I get confused. I don't understand what the directions are telling me is the correct way to input that information. Maybe i'm not a diagram learner :p

Hello...

Press Mode button until computer shows Odo. Then press Set button. Display will blink. Press again Mode button several times until appears wheel circumference in cm (Number in brackets). Press Mode for about three seconds. Brackets will disappear , and you can repeat for toggling between digits. Press mode for changing digits. When circumference is OK, press Set once. And it's all....

Regards