Cateye Velo 8 cycle computer - anyone else had mounting problems with them falling off and that?

Jonathan

Guest
Cateye Velo 8 cycle computer - anyone else had mounting problems with them
falling off and that?

I'm on my second in a few months, the mounting clip becomes weak and the
thing flys off when you hit a bump.

Called Cateye's UK distributor and they said they'd never had a similar
report....

Any ideas? Shall I just melt the damn thing on?!?

Jonathan wrote:
> Cateye Velo 8 cycle computer - anyone else had mounting problems with
> them falling off and that?
>
> I'm on my second in a few months, the mounting clip becomes weak and
> the thing flys off when you hit a bump.
>
> Called Cateye's UK distributor and they said they'd never had a
> similar report....
>
> Any ideas? Shall I just melt the damn thing on?!?

The Astrale 8 on my mountain bike is a bit prone to this. It looks as
though the protruding wossname on the mount is too small, or on backwards,
or something. Suspect that some creative work with hot glue might improve
matters.

The Real Slim Shady's gone to play tennis.

Dave Larrington wrote:

Suspect that some creative work with hot glue might improve
> matters.

A very good idea, if you apply it all around it will also waterproof
the contacts. My old one stopped working completely when it rained even
if I cleaned off the contacts (but never actually fell off) BTW there
is also a method for adjusting the wheel diameter on these things even
though the main menu only offers set wheel sizes.

To change the wheel circumference setting:
Click the main Mode button until you get to the Odo position.
Poke a biro tip into the "SET" button hole on the back (momentarily is
enough).
The existing setting will flash.
If it's not showing [205], then press the Mode button repeatedly until
it is (it will cycle round the Quick Setting Size options of 26", 700c,
27", [205], 16", 18", 20", 22", 24", 26"...).
With it flashing [205], press and hold the SET button - hold in for 2
seconds.
Use the Mode button to adjust the Least Significant Digit, then press
the Mode button for 2s to select the middle digit, adjust that by more
clicks on the Mode button, then press the Mode button for 2s to select
the Most Significant Digit, and adjust that.
Momentarily press the SET button on the back and it will save the new
setting and revert to the stopwatch display, ready for use.