Catlike Helmets

glyde

Jan 16, 2004
To our friends outside the US, perhaps this question will seem a bit odd, however Catlike Helmets are only recently available in the US and I am wondering what the real word on them is? Does anyone out there have personal experience with them? I am particularly interested in peoples thoughts regarding venting, general fit, finish. Any insight would be appreciated!!!

I tried one at a trianing camp this spring, and immediately went out and got one -- not easy, as the USA distributor is not the best and stock seems to be low at all times. Excel Sports in Boulder lists them for $129........

This helmet fits like a hat -- lower down over my head, and would probably stay on without the strap !!! It just feels like a good fit, and doesn't seem to want to move arouond even on rough roads. I'm in Arizona, so venting is critical, and I've ridden at 102 deg F. and can really feel the air move.

And it doesn't look as big and dorky as some of the helmets that just seem to sit on the top of your head. A couple of my riding buddies have now gone to the Catlike after trying mine.

same here love the fit and venting .. but most of all it is compact, you don't look like you just put on a huge eggshell ..

Cheers

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, Excel carries them but they are out of stock!!!!! I have just sent an email to the distributor to see if they can recommend another e-tailer that carries them. I like the look and have heard nothing but great things about the fit, while I have heard nothing bad about the venting, I have also not heard raves either - until now. My mind is made up! Now if I can just find someone to take my money!!!!

Originally posted by glyde
Thanks for the comments! Yeah, Excel carries them but they are out of stock!!!!! I have just sent an email to the distributor to see if they can recommend another e-tailer that carries them. I like the look and have heard nothing but great things about the fit, while I have heard nothing bad about the venting, I have also not heard raves either - until now. My mind is made up! Now if I can just find someone to take my money!!!!

I suspect that a lot of dealers are leary of carrying them after the debacle they had with CPSC last year.

I too have a Catlike. As others have said, its a nice snug fit, well vented and compact. Really happy with it. Also have a Limar from last year. Good too but I prefer the Catlike.

Originally posted by serenaslu
I suspect that a lot of dealers are leary of carrying them after the debacle they had with CPSC last year.

I'll bite - what debacle last year? Thanks

Yeah, mine was well after that time period, but its a really good thing to point out and make everyone aware of.

Originally posted by gclark8
Any dealers in Australia?

None listed on their web page.

Found one,

Glen Parker Cycles in Nedlands, Perth WA, they have stock.

cheers
George

When I bought my helmet I was in doubt either to buy the catlike original Kelme helmet or the Limar Bianchi helmet. Well I choose the Limar helmet. After half an hour cycling the very expensive helmet dropped apart (delamination). I obtained a new helmet however not an original Bianchi one. And that was the reason for buying the helmet in the first place.

A few months later the metal joints connecting the straps to the helmet were rusted off by salt sweat. Again I had to send the helmet back towards the importer and I obtained a new set of straps.

Next time I maybe try a Catlike, which is impossible to obtain in the Netherlands.

Frank.

I crashed in one recently and my head took a huge hit. The Dr said that i would be dead right now if it wasn't for that helmet. So I wanted another one but the importer in Australia isn't bringing them in until they're approved. Damn. It was a really nice helmet. Don't surpose anyone knows where i can get one in Australia????