Catlike's 'tarded marketing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Thylacine, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

*laugh* Yeah, the damn helmets are all over the ProTour, but can anyone actually buy one!?

I've been wanting a Whisper Plus for eons but can't find a decent place to buy one from.

whisper

Anyone got any clues?

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

They don't sell their helmets in the US. You can try looking at Candadian, British, or other international dealers.

3. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

But the Catlike Whisper and Whisper Plus helmets are bloody ugly. I hate the way they sit on a rider's head - bulky, oddly lumpy and like the designer is trying way too hard to come up with a new look. If you're going for exclusivity (in North America anyway), then there's a reason to get one. It's subjective, but I think the Catlike are second rate compared to the equivalent Giro, Bell, Specialized, even Lazer models.

I finally had the misfortune to see one live when a friend went to Europe on business and brought back with him one of these hideous head decorations.

Apologies for de-railing this tread....

4. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

I don't really care what other people think of the look, but thanks for chiming in. :D

5. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

You can buy them new on ebay:
    2009 - Catlike Whisper Plus Helmet - eBay (item 270418075834 end time Jul-29-09 16:22:01 PDT)

But IIRC, they're not sold in the US because they have don't have the US CPSC certifications. There was a big debate at USAC over this a few years back because of the differences in testing. The official upshot was that riders could race on CE helmets that lacked CPSC approval even though they couldn't legally be sold in the US. So if you get your hands on one it's race legal, but you won't find it in a US store. Looks like ebay is one way to end run that process and for all I know they've proceeded with their CPSC certifications but I haven't heard anything to that effect.

-Dave

6. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

The equivalent of AUD350!

I'll have 10. Ta.

:eek:

7. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

Okay, so I have AUD253 inc Shipping from a place in Germany (AUD220 if they take VAT off) and AUD258 from a place in NZ but without shipping.

Looking better.