catskills area rides

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Prichter1, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Prichter1

    Prichter1 Guest

    I'm a lurker who is going to the Catskills next week (Kerhonkson). I have done a web search but
    remain confused: is there a bike trail along the D&H canal? One said 6 miles out of Westerbrook,
    another said out of Kingston.

    I'd love any information/update on the status of this trail, or where in this area I might ride.

    Thanks so much, Priscilla

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "PRichter1" wrote in message
    > I'm a lurker who is going to the Catskills next week (Kerhonkson). I have
    done
    > a web search but remain confused: is there a bike trail along the D&H
    canal?
    > One said 6 miles out of Westerbrook, another said out of Kingston.
    >
    > I'd love any information/update on the status of this trail, or where in
    this
    > area I might ride.
    >
    > Thanks so much, Priscilla

    It's not something I'm familar with, but here are two sites that might have info and/or point you in
    the right direction>

    http://www.railtrails.org/

    And

    http://www.traillink.com/

    Look under NY - Hudson Valley for more info on the D&H

    Also look under additional trails in the Catskills region as well as this site:

    http://www.geocities.com/NYRides/

    For info on the New Paltz area

    Steve Bailey

  3. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    There is a path along parts of the canal, at least near Wurtsboro (~15 miles south of Kerhonkson),
    but it is too rough to ride on a road bike. I don't know about any paths farther north.

    Several nice road rides in the area. Get a detailed map (or use Mapquest) for particulars.
    Some examples:

    Flat route between Ellenville and High Falls, mainly on Berme and Twopath roads.

    From Kerhonkson, take 209 south to 55 then head west to Grahamsville, looping around the Rondout
    Reservoir.

    Route 3 heading north from the Pine Bush - Kerhonkson area toward the Ashokan Reservoir looks
    interesting, though I haven't tried it. There are a lot of small side roads. Expect them to be hilly
    and not in all cases paved.

    There may be some info on this excellent website: http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  4. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Ken and Sharon Roberts have an excellent site of rides in the Hudson Valley near the Catskills. Not
    sure if this covers the exact area you are looking at.

    http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/index.html#where_to_look

    Robin

    news:[email protected]...