Caught in the Rain

Jace1283

Sep 3, 2006
it had been raining and t-storming here in new england for the past few days and i woke up yesterday and checked the weather, it looked like I needed to go as soon as possible to avoid rain. So i start out on my 10 mile loop(2 laps=20mi) and on the first lap it was good. funny thing i was avoiding the little wet spots so my bike wouldn't get wet(06 lemond alpe d'huez). On my second lap probly like 3 miles into the loop i see really dark clouds and consider turning around but i just had to keep going, thinking maybe itll hold off. I make it to probly like mile 6 on the loop and some big drops start falling. Before i know it there's tons of wind and it is absolutely pouring buckets. It was the kind of weather you'd see when a t-storm hits but it wasn't thundering yet. I just kept pushing through it the rest of the trip. Considered stopping at my friends house but whats the point, already soaked. I put my cell phone in my underwear to keep it dry, lol, you didnt need to know that, right? Towards the end there where 2-inch deep rivers on the side of the roads and it was really cool how well the skinnys cut through it. The only problem is that all that water goes right on your feet. finally got home and took out the towels and blowdrier for a hour, lol. turned my bike vertical and water comes out. I might think twice next time i see those clouds but don't regret the experience!

Jace1283 said:
it had been raining and t-storming here in new england for the past few days and i woke up yesterday and checked the weather, it looked like I needed to go as soon as possible to avoid rain. So i start out on my 10 mile loop(2 laps=20mi) and on the first lap it was good. funny thing i was avoiding the little wet spots so my bike wouldn't get wet(06 lemond alpe d'huez). On my second lap probly like 3 miles into the loop i see really dark clouds and consider turning around but i just had to keep going, thinking maybe itll hold off. I make it to probly like mile 6 on the loop and some big drops start falling. Before i know it there's tons of wind and it is absolutely pouring buckets. It was the kind of weather you'd see when a t-storm hits but it wasn't thundering yet. I just kept pushing through it the rest of the trip. Considered stopping at my friends house but whats the point, already soaked. I put my cell phone in my underwear to keep it dry, lol, you didnt need to know that, right? Towards the end there where 2-inch deep rivers on the side of the roads and it was really cool how well the skinnys cut through it. The only problem is that all that water goes right on your feet. finally got home and took out the towels and blowdrier for a hour, lol. turned my bike vertical and water comes out. I might think twice next time i see those clouds but don't regret the experience!
Yep, I always feel quite virtuous whenever I get caught out there in a storm, and as I'm pounding away through the torrent I'm thinking, "I'm out here getting some good miles in, while all the other wimps are staying home." Of course, I would have, too, if I had known what I was getting into.

Jace1283 said:
I put my cell phone in my underwear to keep it dry, lol, you didnt need to know that, right?
Does this work? I keep mine in a plastic baggie in my saddle wedge.

Jace1283 said:
... I put my cell phone in my underwear to keep it dry, lol, you didnt need to know that, right? ...QUOTE]

Bad idea - I think that's how you get cellulite.

kdelong said:
Does this work? I keep mine in a plastic baggie in my saddle wedge.
i wouldn't do it, it was just last resort. it was in the pocket on my jersey on my back getting soaked and it isn't my phone so i did what i had to.

cellulite? what? lol

that happened to me, i was coming home and i got stuck in the worst weather. it was like being in a shower with the massage setting on, and then it started thundering and there was lightning, i got SOAKED. went home, hung the shorts and jeresey up to dry, and dried the bike w/ a towel and re-lubed the chain. bleh. my socks are still wet. :(

Pendejo said:
Jace1283 said:
... I put my cell phone in my underwear to keep it dry, lol, you didnt need to know that, right? ...QUOTE]

Bad idea - I think that's how you get cellulite.

Ha, lol. You know there is a study that indicates cell phones are killing the bees.

I had a awesome ride about a month ago in the rain, of course everything I wore was soaked but I had fenders and it was so much fun to get out there especially with summer weather. :D

Jace1283 said:
i wouldn't do it, it was just last resort. it was in the pocket on my jersey on my back getting soaked and it isn't my phone so i did what i had to.

cellulite? what? lol
I don't know, when I get soaked, my underwear gets soaked too. Does the owner of the phone know what you did? If so, do they still want the phone back?:D

Remember that commercial Lance Armstrong did a few years ago that showed him riding through the wind and rain and snow and wind and everything? Shorly after it came out, I was out on a ride and the skies started to get dark and I could hear thunder in the distance to the west of me. I figured I had time to finish my ride and thought, "Lance would keep riding."

The storm moved in faster than I expected, though, and it soon started sprinkling rain. I thought again about that commercial and decided, "Lance would keep riding."

After a little while the thunder got closer and the skies let loose on me. At that point I was soaked to the skin, but I thought, "Lance would keep riding."

After a few minutes of that, lightning struck a tree in the field next to the road, and I (and the bike) jumped about 3 feet off the ground. :eek: At that point I decided "Screw Lance, I'm getting my hillbilly hindparts under cover!"

I try to keep my good bikes out of the wet stuff because of the way water carries grit where you don't want it to go.

I want to remind everyone of the fact that roads are slipperiest during the first few minutes of a rain because the oil from the cars hasn't washed away yet.

garage sale GT said:
I try to keep my good bikes out of the wet stuff because of the way water carries grit where you don't want it to go.

I want to remind everyone of the fact that roads are slipperiest during the first few minutes of a rain because the oil from the cars hasn't washed away yet.
When I mountain bike, the weather here in Scotland is always raining.