Caught speeding vs. Red means stop fitzroy boy

byron27 wrote in message ...
>Peter Signorini wrote:
> > "Hirshy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[email protected]:[email protected]
> > net.com.au...
> > > I stop at traffic lights but not at empty pedstrian crossings when
> > > controlled by lights. Bet there are many like me !

> > And you're happy about all the car drivers doing the same?
> > Sure seems like some pretty good double standards going on here.
> > Cheers Peter

>i think thats the point, there should be two standards,because a bike is
>a bike and a car is a car. With about 1100kg's difference why are they
>considered the same?

I don't think that's a valid argument. The road rules apply equally for
trucks and cars and there's many tonnes difference in weight.
I don't see the problem of a cyclist waiting at a red light until it turns
green.
So what if you wait for a minute or two.
If we all did the right thing then motorists wouldn't get so ****** off at
us.

In article <[email protected]>,
byron27 <[email protected]> wrote:

> i think thats the point, there should be two standards,because a bike is
> a bike and a car is a car.

The rules aren't based on the vehicles involved, they're based on the
thoroughfares. They apply to trucks, cars, motor bikes and cyclists.
Some motorists would like two standards: one for cars on roads, and one
for bikes somewhere else. Drawing more distinctions -- and inane ones at
that ("bicyclists can ignore red lights when it suits them") -- only
gives them more amunition.

--
Shane Stanley

> Do I really need to explain this ?
Sadly, the answer seems to be YES

this is my favorite so far

>>And even if they do, a car is slower to accelerate over the distance of
>>an intersection, and so actually requires a considerably greater
>>amount of "clearness".

not sure what car he drives, maybe he doesnt drive.
power to weight of a VT commodore 10.5kg/kw
so maybe he could beat a commodore across a ped crossings, but I wouldnt bet
any money on it.

rickster wrote:
> DaveB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [snip]
>

>>Personally, I run the red lights (after checking
>>for traffic of course, I don't have a death wish), but don't speed.

> I'd love to see this license you have that allows you not to obey road
> rules. I'd really like one. I'm sick of stopping at red lights like
> a sap.
>
> Like the guy this morning on the green Raceline about 8:15 am on St
> Kilda Road, with the orange safety vest and nerdy 80's stack hat, it
> was OK to ride passed the two stopped cyclists, through the pedestrian
> crossing with the school kids on it and the lolly pop lady, 'cos he
> must have the same license as you.
>
> Sure like to get me one.
>
> [snip]

Oh ****, I hadn't realised you needed a license for a bicycle, or have I
accidentally posted to aus.motorcycles by mistake?
Dave B.

wrote:
> ("bicyclists can ignore red lights when it suits them") -- only gives
> them more amunition.
> --
> Shane Stanley

I live in Kuala Lumpur where, although it isn't legal, there are almos
2 sets of rules in place. Cars/Trucks/Buses (most of them) stop at re
lights, Motorbikes (many of them) don't seem to have to if they don'
want to. As a keen motorcyclist, when I was younger I would have though
this was great. The down side is, in all the places I have been, I hav
never seen as many fatal crashes and totalled motorbikes as I se
happening here. The road-death toll is enormous, with an inordinatel
large amount of them being motorcyclists. I ride a fixed wheel, an
drive a car through this. It keeps you awake. I can be reasonabl
confident each day that there will be a crash at the intersection m
office looks down on and, it will usually involve a Motorbike. 2 sets o
rules has a lot of collateral damage associated with it. Be happy wit
what you have - it's a whole lot safer than what we have over here

-

DaveB> rickster wrote:
>> DaveB <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>... [snip]
>>
>>> Personally, I run the red lights (after checking for traffic of
>>> course, I don't have a death wish), but don't speed.

>> I'd love to see this license you have that allows you not to obey
>> road rules. I'd really like one. I'm sick of stopping at red
>> lights like a sap. Like the guy this morning on the green
>> Raceline about 8:15 am on St Kilda Road, with the orange safety
>> vest and nerdy 80's stack hat, it was OK to ride passed the two
>> stopped cyclists, through the pedestrian crossing with the school
>> kids on it and the lolly pop lady, 'cos he must have the same
>> license as you. Sure like to get me one. [snip]

DaveB> Oh ****, I hadn't realised you needed a license for a
DaveB> bicycle, or have I accidentally posted to aus.motorcycles by
DaveB> mistake? Dave B.

From http://www.bv.com.au/content.cfm?submenuid=64&contentid=81

Fines for cyclists Bicycle Victoria believes strongly in a culture of
sharing the road. Cyclists infringing the law can expect to be fined
the amount show in the information sheet (right).

The sheet shows cycling-specific offences and fines for general road
rule infringements such as running red lights. The fines for cyclists
in these cases is the same for other motorists. Running a red light
will cost you $200 in you car or on your bike.

For road rules not listed, the fines are the same for cyclists as they
are for other road users. For example, riding in a tramway risks a $75
fine.

Note: Cyclists do not accumulate demerit points on their motor vehicle
license if they are fined for road rule offences while cycling.

I believe demerit points SHOULD be accumulated. Most adult cyclists
drive as well, if their precious car license was at stake perhaps we'd
see better behaviour.

--
Regards
Euan

if your world is all black and your world is all white, you wont ge
much colour out of life now right

some will flaunt the rules, some wont. We are all cyclists and like an
community there are good and bad. Do what you think is right an
hopefully your actions will show the way

-

G'day

of course the reality is that WE as cyclists have all done somethin
whilst riding that would have gotten Mr. Plod's interest (had he bee
there to see it). If we expect the same rights on the road (demand!) a
motorists, we have to act responsibly & obey the same laws as them
Totally ignoring road rules doesn't exactly endear us to motorists
govts, that have the option whether to make our lives difficult or not
(sad but true). Of course we know what we should do...how 'bout we pu
it into practise. having said that of course.....I ran a red light at a
unoccupied pedestrian crossing last nite!....hey , but i felt guilty!

cheers

Hitch

-

If you want another view on this, have a read of the current thread
called "It was bound to happen" in aus.cars...

Hitchy wrote:
> G'day, of course the reality is that WE as cyclists have all done
> something whilst riding that would have gotten Mr. Plod's interest (had
> he been there to see it). If we expect the same rights on the road
> (demand!) as motorists, we have to act responsibly & obey the same laws
> as them. Totally ignoring road rules doesn't exactly endear us to
> motorists & govts, that have the option whether to make our lives
> difficult or not, (sad but true). Of course we know what we should
> do...how 'bout we put it into practise. having said that of course.....I
> ran a red light at an unoccupied pedestrian crossing last nite!....hey ,
> but i felt guilty!, cheers, Hitchy

Well, a 3am red light, well, um, lets leave that alone for now.:

Big thankyou to a fellow cyclist travelling south along Chapel St. lat
this morning (Tues.18/2) You went thru at least 3 red lights

At 11.35am I cycled past, just as you were locking your bike up outsid
the Freedom Machine. About 50m south of FM, I copped a spray of verba
abuse that probably was originally intended for you. Again, thank
mate.:mad

-

cfsmtb wrote:
> Well, a 3am red light, well, um, lets leave that alone for now.:eek:
> Big thankyou to a fellow cyclist travelling south along Chapel St. late
> this morning (Tues.18/2) You went thru at least 3 red lights.
> At 11.35am I cycled past, just as you were locking your bike up outside
> the Freedom Machine. About 50m south of FM, I copped a spray of verbal
> abuse that probably was originally intended for you. Again, thanks
> mate.:mad:

Aren't you supposed to ba at work at that time?? ;

Besides, if those badmouthing people couldn't tell the difference, the
the hell with them. :

Cheers, Amir

-

amirm wrote:
> Aren't you supposed to ba at work at that time?? ;) Besides, if those
> badmouthing people couldn't tell the difference, then the hell with
> them. :) Cheers, Amir.

Well not everyone strictly adheres to the 9-5 method.:cool

You're kinda right though, stuff 'em if they were too blind to see I wa
obeying the road laws, let alone they couldn't tell the difference btw
male & female. Just a prat in the passengers seat needing to vent th
spleen I suppose....:confused

-

"cfsmtb" <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic> wrote in message news:5IDYb.82153
> amirm wrote:
> > Aren't you supposed to ba at work at that time?? ;) Besides, if those
> > badmouthing people couldn't tell the difference, then the hell with
> > them. :) Cheers, Amir.

> Well not everyone strictly adheres to the 9-5 method.:cool:
>
> You're kinda right though, stuff 'em if they were too blind to see I was
> obeying the road laws, let alone they couldn't tell the difference btw a
> male & female. Just a prat in the passengers seat needing to vent the
> spleen I suppose....:confused:

After _coasting_ down from the 'nongs at 60kph+ tonight, some
**** in his Excel yells out (and I'm surprised I actually heard it, it
usually just sounds like "bahgahdg lahlehguuuer!")...
"The footpath's just THERE mate!". I tried to catch him at the
lights so I could tell him "you're just jealous that I'm faster than
your P.O.S. Hyundai!", but he got the light. 70kph down the
footpath... no worries deek!

hippy :)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:54:49 +1100, "hippy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>After _coasting_ down from the 'nongs at 60kph+ tonight, some
>**** in his Excel yells out (and I'm surprised I actually heard it, it
>usually just sounds like "bahgahdg lahlehguuuer!")...
>"The footpath's just THERE mate!". I tried to catch him at the
>lights so I could tell him "you're just jealous that I'm faster than
>your P.O.S. Hyundai!", but he got the light. 70kph down the
>footpath... no worries deek!

Remember: "The zoo's over there, mate".

--
Regards.
Richard.

G'day

LOL....good one Hippy!....had a similar experience...some cretin abusin
me...I caught him at the lights...knocked politely on hi
window...(which he was stupid enough to open!)...and tell him "you'r
abusing me...& you're driving a Dawoo??????".......he didn't know wha
to say...Lol

cheers

Hitch

-

cfsmtb wrote:
> Well, a 3am red light, well, um, lets leave that alone for now.:eek:
> Big thankyou to a fellow cyclist travelling south along Chapel St. late
> this morning (Tues.18/2) You went thru at least 3 red lights.
> At 11.35am I cycled past, just as you were locking your bike up outside
> the Freedom Machine. About 50m south of FM, I copped a spray of verbal
> abuse that probably was originally intended for you. Again, thanks
> mate.:mad:

I realise this is slightly off topic, but the subject of GM brought thi
top mind..

imho FM riders are (and I readily admit to broadwiping stereotypes here
so to those 'good' FM riders, my apologies) a bloody nuisance. Alon
beach road they pass, elbow, brake, dont signal potholes, and basicall
dont give a stuff about anyone else. way too much thinking with one par
of the anatomy, and not the other... I realise that there are quite
few really top-notch riders amongst these guys (the first guy i saw com
dwon off falls during the alpine classic a few weeks back was a G
rider) but that doesnt give them an exemption from courtesy to othe
riders or traffic lights, et

If FM are going to let morons like this ride around wearing thei
jerseys perhaps they might consider having a 'chat' to their regula
ride group members that what they do reflects on their business and als
makes them identifiable. I was discussing the vagueries(?) with a rell
who's a cop in Prahran and apparently they have recieved approx 5
complaints over the last 6 months (that's a record in the entire O
police force he said, seconded only by the HELL group) and are going t
be shortly submitting a legal 'request' for FM to either ceas
organising/encuraging such behaviour or if worst comes to worst simpl
take out a class-action against them (including the other rider that
gutless GM riders assaulted on B Rd last year putting him i
hospital!!!

-

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> take out a class-action against them (including the other rider that 4
> gutless GM riders assaulted on B Rd last year putting him in
> hospital!!!)

What is "GM" and what's the deal with this assault story?
I never heard of anyone getting put in hospital...

hippy

"cfsmtb" <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just a question, how many people out there, are aware of the self
> regulating code of conduct that was developed last year?

Either Cyclesport Victoria, Blackburn Cycling Club or
BV (in the Around the Bay package??) sent this out
last year - I can't remember which though. Seemed
reasonable to me - it was mostly what I do anyway
for "respect" and safety.

> Article from The Age, "Lycra rules, OK?"
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/06/1070625586097.html
>
> PDF: http://www.bikenow.com.au/tac/documents/coc.pdf

hippy