Caught speeding vs. Red means stop fitzroy boy

Originally posted by byron27
i think thats the point, there should be two standards,because a bike is a bike and a car is a car. With about 1100kg's difference why are they considered the same?

Can of worms seen opening,
gonna go away and think about that.

"Jorgen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > DaveB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [snip]
> >
> [...]
> > Like the guy this morning on the green Raceline about 8:15 am on St Kilda Road, with the orange
> > safety vest and nerdy 80's stack hat, it was OK to ride passed the two stopped cyclists, through
> > the pedestrian crossing with the school kids on it and the lolly pop lady, 'cos he must have the
> > same license as you.
> >

> I have no problems with being ****** off at the above, however I thought we discussed _empty_ ped
> crossings?

Red = Stop

Let me say that again

Red = Stop

What do you think the motorists as thinking as you go through ? Another bloody cyclist. How can we
expect motorists to, say for example, keep out of the bike lane when we/you can't even stop at a
red light ?

Do I really need to explain this ?

byron27 wrote in message ...
>Peter Signorini wrote:
> > "Hirshy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[email protected]:[email protected]
> > net.com.au...
> > > I stop at traffic lights but not at empty pedstrian crossings when controlled by lights. Bet
> > > there are many like me !
> > And you're happy about all the car drivers doing the same? Sure seems like some pretty good
> > double standards going on here. Cheers Peter
>

>i think thats the point, there should be two standards,because a bike is a bike and a car is a car.
>With about 1100kg's difference why are they considered the same?

I don't think that's a valid argument. The road rules apply equally for trucks and cars and there's
many tonnes difference in weight. I don't see the problem of a cyclist waiting at a red light until
it turns green. So what if you wait for a minute or two. If we all did the right thing then
motorists wouldn't get so ****** off at us.

In article <[email protected]>,
byron27 <[email protected]> wrote:

> i think thats the point, there should be two standards,because a bike is a bike and a car
> is a car.

The rules aren't based on the vehicles involved, they're based on the thoroughfares. They apply to
trucks, cars, motor bikes and cyclists. Some motorists would like two standards: one for cars on
roads, and one for bikes somewhere else. Drawing more distinctions -- and inane ones at that
("bicyclists can ignore red lights when it suits them") -- only gives them more amunition.

--
Shane Stanley

> Do I really need to explain this ?
Sadly, the answer seems to be YES

this is my favorite so far

>>And even if they do, a car is slower to accelerate over the distance of an intersection, and so
>>actually requires a considerably greater amount of "clearness".
not sure what car he drives, maybe he doesnt drive. power to weight of a VT commodore 10.5kg/kw so
maybe he could beat a commodore across a ped crossings, but I wouldnt bet any money on it.

("bicyclists can ignore red lights when it suits them") -- only gives them more amunition.

--
Shane Stanley
I live in Kuala Lumpur where, although it isn't legal, there are almost 2 sets of rules in place. Cars/Trucks/Buses (most of them) stop at red lights, Motorbikes (many of them) don't seem to have to if they don't want to. As a keen motorcyclist, when I was younger I would have thought this was great. The down side is, in all the places I have been, I have never seen as many fatal crashes and totalled motorbikes as I see happening here. The road-death toll is enormous, with an inordinately large amount of them being motorcyclists.
I ride a fixed wheel, and drive a car through this. It keeps you awake.
I can be reasonably confident each day that there will be a crash at the intersection my office looks down on and, it will usually involve a Motorbike.
2 sets of rules has a lot of collateral damage associated with it. Be happy with what you have - it's a whole lot safer than what we have over here.

rickster wrote:
> DaveB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... [snip]
>

>>Personally, I run the red lights (after checking for traffic of course, I don't have a death
>>wish), but don't speed.
>

> I'd love to see this license you have that allows you not to obey road rules. I'd really like one.
> I'm sick of stopping at red lights like a sap.
>
> Like the guy this morning on the green Raceline about 8:15 am on St Kilda Road, with the orange
> safety vest and nerdy 80's stack hat, it was OK to ride passed the two stopped cyclists, through
> the pedestrian crossing with the school kids on it and the lolly pop lady, 'cos he must have the
> same license as you.
>
> Sure like to get me one.
>
> [snip]
Oh ****, I hadn't realised you needed a license for a bicycle, or have I accidentally posted to
aus.motorcycles by mistake? Dave B.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:20:12 +1000, John L said (and I quote):
> So obviously following your reasoning, you wouldn't complain if a motorcyclist broke the same law
> & cleaned you up?

They wouldn't "clean me up" if they were taking the same amount of care that I am suggesting
is required.
--
A: Top-posters.
B: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

DaveB> rickster wrote:
>> DaveB <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>... [snip]
>>
>>> Personally, I run the red lights (after checking for traffic of course, I don't have a death
>>> wish), but don't speed.
>> I'd love to see this license you have that allows you not to obey road rules. I'd really like
>> one. I'm sick of stopping at red lights like a sap. Like the guy this morning on the green
>> Raceline about 8:15 am on St Kilda Road, with the orange safety vest and nerdy 80's stack
>> hat, it was OK to ride passed the two stopped cyclists, through the pedestrian crossing with
>> the school kids on it and the lolly pop lady, 'cos he must have the same license as you. Sure
>> like to get me one. [snip]
DaveB> Oh ****, I hadn't realised you needed a license for a bicycle, or have I accidentally
DaveB> posted to aus.motorcycles by mistake? Dave B.

From http://www.bv.com.au/content.cfm?submenuid=64&contentid=81

Fines for cyclists Bicycle Victoria believes strongly in a culture of sharing the road. Cyclists
infringing the law can expect to be fined the amount show in the information sheet (right).

The sheet shows cycling-specific offences and fines for general road rule infringements such as
running red lights. The fines for cyclists in these cases is the same for other motorists. Running
a red light will cost you $200 in you car or on your bike.

For road rules not listed, the fines are the same for cyclists as they are for other road users.
For example, riding in a tramway risks a $75 fine.

Note: Cyclists do not accumulate demerit points on their motor vehicle license if they are fined
for road rule offences while cycling.

I believe demerit points SHOULD be accumulated. Most adult cyclists drive as well, if their precious
car license was at stake perhaps we'd see better behaviour.

--
Regards Euan

if your world is all black and your world is all white,
you wont get much colour out of life now right?

some will flaunt the rules, some wont.
We are all cyclists and like any community there are good and bad. Do what you think is right and hopefully your actions will show the way.

G'day,

of course the reality is that WE as cyclists have all done something whilst riding that would have gotten Mr. Plod's interest (had he been there to see it). If we expect the same rights on the road (demand!) as motorists, we have to act responsibly & obey the same laws as them. Totally ignoring road rules doesn't exactly endear us to motorists & govts, that have the option whether to make our lives difficult or not, (sad but true).
Of course we know what we should do...how 'bout we put it into practise. having said that of course.....I ran a red light at an unoccupied pedestrian crossing last nite!....hey , but i felt guilty!,

cheers,

Hitchy

If you want another view on this, have a read of the current thread called "It was bound to happen"
in aus.cars...

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:27:43 +1100, DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:

>These two threads have left me fairly amused (or is it bemused). On one there is a real hard core
>holier than thou anyone who breaks the law is evil and gives all cyclists a bad name attitude. On
>the other is the laws shmaws if it's fun and nobody is too likely to get hurt go for it. I had a
>quick look through the posters on both threads and posters from one don't seem to appear on the
>other. Are there two cliques here that are avoiding each other, or is speeding considered
>acceptable and running stop signs not. Personally, I run the red lights (after checking for traffic
>of course, I don't have a death wish), but don't speed. But the not speeding is to do with a lack
>of speed in the legs, not any kind of a moral decision.
>
>Dave B.

Originally posted by Hitchy
G'day,
of course the reality is that WE as cyclists have all done something whilst riding that would have gotten Mr. Plod's interest (had he been there to see it). If we expect the same rights on the road (demand!) as motorists, we have to act responsibly & obey the same laws as them. Totally ignoring road rules doesn't exactly endear us to motorists & govts, that have the option whether to make our lives difficult or not, (sad but true).
Of course we know what we should do...how 'bout we put it into practise. having said that of course.....I ran a red light at an unoccupied pedestrian crossing last nite!....hey , but i felt guilty!,
cheers,
Hitchy

Well, a 3am red light, well, um, lets leave that alone for now.:eek:

Big thankyou to a fellow cyclist travelling south along Chapel St. late this morning (Tues.18/2) You went thru at least 3 red lights.

At 11.35am I cycled past, just as you were locking your bike up outside the Freedom Machine. About 50m south of FM, I copped a spray of verbal abuse that probably was originally intended for you. Again, thanks mate.:mad:

Aren't you supposed to ba at work at that time?? ;)

Besides, if those badmouthing people couldn't tell the difference, then the hell with them. :)

Cheers,
Amir.

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Well, a 3am red light, well, um, lets leave that alone for now.:eek:

Big thankyou to a fellow cyclist travelling south along Chapel St. late this morning (Tues.18/2) You went thru at least 3 red lights.

At 11.35am I cycled past, just as you were locking your bike up outside the Freedom Machine. About 50m south of FM, I copped a spray of verbal abuse that probably was originally intended for you. Again, thanks mate.:mad:

Originally posted by amirm
Aren't you supposed to ba at work at that time?? ;)
Besides, if those badmouthing people couldn't tell the difference, then the hell with them. :)
Cheers,
Amir.

Well not everyone strictly adheres to the 9-5 method.:cool:

You're kinda right though, stuff 'em if they were too blind to see I was obeying the road laws, let alone they couldn't tell the difference btw a male & female. Just a prat in the passengers seat needing to vent the spleen I suppose....:confused:

"cfsmtb" <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic> wrote in message news:5IDYb.82153
> amirm wrote:
> > Aren't you supposed to ba at work at that time?? ;) Besides, if those badmouthing people
> > couldn't tell the difference, then the hell with them. :) Cheers, Amir.
>
> Well not everyone strictly adheres to the 9-5 method.:cool:
>
> You're kinda right though, stuff 'em if they were too blind to see I was obeying the road laws,
> let alone they couldn't tell the difference btw a male & female. Just a prat in the passengers
> seat needing to vent the spleen I suppose....:confused:

After _coasting_ down from the 'nongs at 60kph+ tonight, some **** in his Excel yells out (and I'm
surprised I actually heard it, it usually just sounds like "bahgahdg lahlehguuuer!")... "The
footpath's just THERE mate!". I tried to catch him at the lights so I could tell him "you're just
jealous that I'm faster than your P.O.S. Hyundai!", but he got the light. 70kph down the footpath...
no worries deek!

hippy :)

G'day,

LOL....good one Hippy!....had a similar experience...some cretin abusing me...I caught him at the lights...knocked politely on his window...(which he was stupid enough to open!)...and tell him "you're abusing me...& you're driving a Dawoo??????".......he didn't know what to say...Lol,

cheers,

Hitchy

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:54:49 +1100, "hippy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>After _coasting_ down from the 'nongs at 60kph+ tonight, some **** in his Excel yells out (and I'm
>surprised I actually heard it, it usually just sounds like "bahgahdg lahlehguuuer!")... "The
>footpath's just THERE mate!". I tried to catch him at the lights so I could tell him "you're just
>jealous that I'm faster than your P.O.S. Hyundai!", but he got the light. 70kph down the
>footpath... no worries deek!

Remember: "The zoo's over there, mate".

--
Regards. Richard.

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Well, a 3am red light, well, um, lets leave that alone for now.:eek:

Big thankyou to a fellow cyclist travelling south along Chapel St. late this morning (Tues.18/2) You went thru at least 3 red lights.

At 11.35am I cycled past, just as you were locking your bike up outside the Freedom Machine. About 50m south of FM, I copped a spray of verbal abuse that probably was originally intended for you. Again, thanks mate.:mad:

I realise this is slightly off topic, but the subject of GM brought this top mind...

imho FM riders are (and I readily admit to broadwiping stereotypes here, so to those 'good' FM riders, my apologies)
a bloody nuisance.
Along beach road they pass, elbow, brake, dont signal potholes, and basically dont give a stuff about anyone else. way too much thinking with one part of the anatomy, and not the other...
I realise that there are quite a few really top-notch riders amongst these guys (the first guy i saw come dwon off falls during the alpine classic a few weeks back was a GM rider) but that doesnt give them an exemption from courtesy to other riders or traffic lights, etc

If FM are going to let morons like this ride around wearing their jerseys perhaps they might consider having a 'chat' to their regular ride group members that what they do reflects on their business and also makes them identifiable.
I was discussing the vagueries(?) with a rello who's a cop in Prahran and apparently they have recieved approx 50 complaints over the last 6 months (that's a record in the entire Oz police force he said, seconded only by the HELL group) and are going to be shortly submitting a legal 'request' for FM to either cease organising/encuraging such behaviour or if worst comes to worst simply take out a class-action against them (including the other rider that 4 gutless GM riders assaulted on B Rd last year putting him in hospital!!!)