Cauliflower Soup

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tess, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Tess

    Tess Guest

    Hi there, boys and girls! It's time for *my* favourite show ... "Cooking
    With Tess"! And today's subject is Cauliflower Soup : )

    I used to make this all the time, but for some reason that I can't remember,
    I stopped some several years ago. I know it isn't complicated.

    Granted, there are about a bazillion recipes out there on Ye Olde Webbe, but
    I was hoping that you all would post *your* favourite recipes, so I can make
    it really spectacular.

    Only thing is, I am having to yes, used frozen cauliflower, but I think
    it'll be okay. I thought I'd have with that, let's see ... toasted
    bruschetta with melted cheese, and a cheery cherry salad? So how's about it?
    Beautiful cauliflower soup?

    Thanks bunches : )

    - Tess

    Tags:

  2. Tess

    Tess Guest

    "Dog3" <[email protected];ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Tess" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:

    << snipp'd my own stuff >>

    > I *love* cauliflower soup. I have never used frozen cauliflwoer but see no
    > reason at all why it wouldn't do as well as fresh. I usually make a basic
    > cheese soup and add cooked cauliflower into the soup. I would thaw the
    > frozen product and add it in but do not cook it. This is really a stew and
    > the main ingredient is pork. I think it is more what you are looking for.
    > It came on my Mastercook disk and I've made it too many times to count.
    > You
    > will need to tweak the recipe to suit your needs but I really like it.
    >
    > Flavorful Pork Stew
    >
    > Recipe By :
    > Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:15
    > Categories : Nat. Pork Producers Council Pork
    > Soups/ Stews/ Chowders

    > 1 pound boneless pork shoulder -- cut into 1-inch cube
    > 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    > 1 teaspoon salt
    > 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    > 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    > 1 1/4 cups water
    > 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
    > 1 1/2 cups celery pieces
    > 12 pitted prunes
    > 2 1/2 cups cooked cauliflowerets -- drained
    >
    > Combine flour, salt and pepper; mix well. Dredge pork in flour mixture.
    > Reserve excess flour mixture. Brown pork in oil in a large skillet. Pour
    > off drippings. Add 1 cup water, cover tightly and cook over low heat for
    > 30 minutes. Stir in curry powder. Add celery; cover and continue cooking
    > for 15 minutes.
    >
    > Combine reserved flour with remaining 1/4 cup water, mixing well. Stir
    > into pork mixture; add prunes and continue cooking for 15 minutes or until
    > meat and celery are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir cauliflowerets
    > into pork mixture and heat through.

    Boy, I love it, too! The best I've ever had comes from a place in Gatlinburg
    called "The Bird and The Beast". It's an appetiser, and I always just have
    two bowls - one for the starter, and one for the meal : )

    Now, yours *indeeeeeed* sounds yummy, although it wasn't quite what I was
    going for. I believe the sort I'm after uses chicken broth. I'm going to
    file yours away to use when I need to impress company : ) In fact, it sounds
    pretty exotic - would you know the ethnicity of that?

    Thanks bowlsful ~

    - Tess

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tess" <[email protected]> wrote:
    (snipped looking for a cauliflower soup recipe)

    Fake it. Sauté some onion in a little butter, add some chicken broth to
    cover the frozen cauliflowerettes and cook until tender. Whiz in a
    blender and add some half and half or heavy cream. Heat to just under a
    boil. Correct the seasoning. Pour in a bowl and sprinkle some grated
    cheddar on top. Eat it up.
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05

  4. Tess

    Tess Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Tess" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > (snipped looking for a cauliflower soup recipe)
    >
    > Fake it. Sauté some onion in a little butter, add some chicken broth to
    > cover the frozen cauliflowerettes and cook until tender. Whiz in a
    > blender and add some half and half or heavy cream. Heat to just under a
    > boil. Correct the seasoning. Pour in a bowl and sprinkle some grated
    > cheddar on top. Eat it up.
    > --
    > -Barb

    Well! I got so many recipes from which to choose, that it was hard to decide
    which one ...

    Okay, made my dinner, and it was lovely! I did pretty much what Barb here
    suggested ( sure did Eat It Up : ), except I wish I'd thought of that onion
    thing.

    Popped the caulis into a pot with a couple of teeny white onions, a coupla
    small carrots, covered with chicken broth, and simmered away. Added a half
    pint of cream, salt, white pepper, and butter. Blended it up with the hand
    blender. It was delicious! Had the bruschetta on the side, topp'd with
    English Farmhouse Cheddar! The cherry salad was beautiful! My little man
    thinks I'm The Goddess of El Cucina! And it was so easy : )

    Cheers : )

    - The Tesstress

  5. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:16:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >"Tess" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >(snipped looking for a cauliflower soup recipe)
    >
    >Fake it. Sauté some onion in a little butter, add some chicken broth to
    >cover the frozen cauliflowerettes and cook until tender. Whiz in a
    >blender and add some half and half or heavy cream. Heat to just under a
    >boil. Correct the seasoning. Pour in a bowl and sprinkle some grated
    >cheddar on top. Eat it up.

    You dont need to fake it to get a really good cream of cauliflower
    soup. Cook small flowerettes of cauliflower in about half a litre of
    salted water and half a litre milk for about 10 minutes and then drain
    the cauliflower and reserve the liquid. Make a roux of butter and
    flour and add the reserved liquid in which you have dissolved a
    teaspoon of powdered chicken stock (you can use authentic chicken
    stock if you like instead of the water to cook the cauliflower).

    Now add about half a tsp of nutmeg and the finely mulched up
    cauliflower and add about 100 mls double cream, and 1 tbsp finely
    chopped parsley. Add more water if you need to thin the soup.

    That's about all I do - and it's really good cream of cauliflower soup
    believe me.

    Daisy