Cause of auto-immune disease / erythrocytosis

Blood. 2004 May 1;103(9):3300-2. Epub 2003 Dec 24. Related Articles,
Links

Erythropoietin gene therapy leads to autoimmune anemia in macaques.

Gao G, Lebherz C, Weiner DJ, Grant R, Calcedo R, McCullough B, Bagg A,
Zhang Y, Wilson JM.

Gene Therapy Program, Division of Medical Genetics, Department of
Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

Gene therapy is being considered for the delivery of therapeutic
proteins. We evaluated the delivery of the hormone erythropoietin (EPO)
into cynomolgus macaques through intramuscularly administered
adeno-associated virus (AAV) vectors. As expected, the animals
developed supraphysiologic levels of EPO and polycythemia. However,
severe anemia ensued in some animals because of an autoimmune response
to endogenous and transgene derived EPO. This is the first example of
gene therapy leading to inadvertent auto-immunity in primates.

PMID: 14695227 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://herbivore.7h.com

The link with EPO and auto-immune anaemias, more especially Acquired
auto-immune haemolytic anaemias in humans was tracked to a small group of
dialysis patients, recieving one type of EPO. It is believed that this
caused the formation of red cell antibodies. This is not and has never been
a wide problem with commercial EPO. There is a paper publiushed by the New
England Journal related to Pure Red Cell Aplasia and EPO
Matt
news:[email protected]...

------