Cause of auto-immune disease / erythrocytosis

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Blood. 2004 May 1;103(9):3300-2. Epub 2003 Dec 24. Related Articles,
    Links

    Erythropoietin gene therapy leads to autoimmune anemia in macaques.

    Gao G, Lebherz C, Weiner DJ, Grant R, Calcedo R, McCullough B, Bagg A,
    Zhang Y, Wilson JM.

    Gene Therapy Program, Division of Medical Genetics, Department of
    Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

    Gene therapy is being considered for the delivery of therapeutic
    proteins. We evaluated the delivery of the hormone erythropoietin (EPO)
    into cynomolgus macaques through intramuscularly administered
    adeno-associated virus (AAV) vectors. As expected, the animals
    developed supraphysiologic levels of EPO and polycythemia. However,
    severe anemia ensued in some animals because of an autoimmune response
    to endogenous and transgene derived EPO. This is the first example of
    gene therapy leading to inadvertent auto-immunity in primates.

    PMID: 14695227 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://herbivore.7h.com

    Tags:

  2. The link with EPO and auto-immune anaemias, more especially Acquired
    auto-immune haemolytic anaemias in humans was tracked to a small group of
    dialysis patients, recieving one type of EPO. It is believed that this
    caused the formation of red cell antibodies. This is not and has never been
    a wide problem with commercial EPO. There is a paper publiushed by the New
    England Journal related to Pure Red Cell Aplasia and EPO
    Matt
    news:[email protected]

    ------