Causes of chain skip

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Lucock, May 7, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
    since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
    Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
    replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?

    Cheers, Richard

    --
    Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist ?

    Tags:

  2. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    have you checked for a stiff link where you joined the new chain?

    "Richard Lucock" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
    > since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
    > Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
    > replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?
    >
    > Cheers, Richard
    >
    > --
    > Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist ?

  3. Jack Elder

    Jack Elder Guest

    in article [email protected], Richard Lucock at [email protected] wrote on
    7/5/03 12:52 pm:

    > A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
    > since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
    > Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
    > replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?

    Did you shorten the new chain? I had my chain/cassette replaced by my LBS about three months ago,
    and discovered that they'd left the chain too long by about four links (!). It didn't skip when I
    pushed hard, it skipped when I tried to pedal on the flat using my granny ring. Shortening the chain
    helped immensely.

    And if we don't all live happily ever after, at least we'll survive another week. ::Kermit the Frog
    http://www.tallpoppy.org

  4. Richard Lucock <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
    > since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
    > Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
    > replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?

    Chainrings can indeed slip if too worn, just like cassettes. I've just replaced my middle & outer
    for this reason. You may be able to see some signs of the slippage at the tips of the teeth.

    Andrew

  5. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    I posted that my mum used to have a clothes airer on pulleys in the kitchen and suggested it would
    be a way to hold a bike.

    Have just got the Parrot catalogue and they have one for sale Sunny Wheel Bike Lift code SUN-LIFT
    www.parrot-online.com

    but would it hold a bike on its side over the car in the apex of a garage. Mike

  6. Richard Lucock wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
    > since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
    > Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
    > replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?
    >
    > Cheers, Richard

    My upright used spontaneously to change gear when pushing hard on the pedals, particularly when on
    the small chainring. It proved impossible to isolate the component causing the problem - though I
    suspect the indescribably ancient Deore rear mech was the culprit - so I ended up replacing
    everything. Chain, freewheel, rear mech and shift levers. It now works as advertised again.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  7. Hi,

    > have you checked for a stiff link where you joined the new chain?

    There was one - but fixing it didn't help, alas. Since the skipping can occur anywhere along
    the chain, but only on the middle chain ring, I'm going to assume that the ring is worn, and
    replace it.

    Thanks for all replies,
    richard

    --
    Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist ?

  8. Frank°

    Frank° Guest

    > My upright used spontaneously to change gear when pushing hard on the pedals, particularly when on
    > the small chainring. It proved impossible to isolate the component causing the problem - though I
    > suspect the indescribably ancient Deore rear mech was the culprit - so I ended up replacing
    > everything. Chain, freewheel, rear mech and shift levers. It
    now
    > works as advertised again.

    Cool answer if my chain ever skips again I'll know what to do, do you think a new bike would fix
    it too ;o)

  9. Frank° wrote:
    > Cool answer if my chain ever skips again I'll know what to do, do you think a new bike would fix
    > it too ;o)

    It *might*, but I wouldn't count on it...

    The Wise Sheldon opines that such symptoms can be encountered when the rear derailleur cable runs
    under the B/B and the tunnel through which it runs gets clogged up with mank.. De-grotting and
    lubricating the tunnel provideth relief until such time as it gets filled with Road Cheese again,
    chiz. In some cases, anyway.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2003 23:13:20 +0100, "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sunny Wheel Bike Lift

    Just what I need - the kitchen is getting a bit full what with the recumbent and the triplet
    in there...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 8 May 2003 16:09:27 +0000 (UTC), "Frank°" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Cool answer if my chain ever skips again I'll know what to do, do you think a new bike would fix
    >it too ;o)

    To be on the safe side, better get three new bikes: one on the road, one in the cleaner, and one
    ready to ride. If it works for chains it must work even better for whole bikes. I must try that on
    SWMBO next time I'm at FutureCycles...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > On Thu, 8 May 2003 16:09:27 +0000 (UTC), "Frank°"
    >
    > To be on the safe side, better get three new bikes: one on the road, one in the cleaner, and one
    > ready to ride. If it works for chains it must work even better for whole bikes.

    I just rotate the chain. You need several bikes and rotate a chain between them to make it last
    longer. Hang on, I think I've got that the wrong way round. Oh well, never mind, too late ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com