Causes of chain skip



Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Lucock

Guest
Hi,

A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?

Cheers, Richard

--
Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist ?
 
S

Si Davies

Guest
have you checked for a stiff link where you joined the new chain?

"Richard Lucock" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
> since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
> Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
> replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?
>
> Cheers, Richard
>
> --
> Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist ?
 
J

Jack Elder

Guest
in article [email protected], Richard Lucock at [email protected] wrote on
7/5/03 12:52 pm:

> A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
> since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
> Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
> replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?

Did you shorten the new chain? I had my chain/cassette replaced by my LBS about three months ago,
and discovered that they'd left the chain too long by about four links (!). It didn't skip when I
pushed hard, it skipped when I tried to pedal on the flat using my granny ring. Shortening the chain
helped immensely.

J

--
And if we don't all live happily ever after, at least we'll survive another week. ::Kermit the Frog
http://www.tallpoppy.org
 
A

Andrew Sweetman

Guest
Richard Lucock <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
> since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
> Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
> replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?
>

Chainrings can indeed slip if too worn, just like cassettes. I've just replaced my middle & outer
for this reason. You may be able to see some signs of the slippage at the tips of the teeth.

Andrew
 
T

Taywood

Guest
I posted that my mum used to have a clothes airer on pulleys in the kitchen and suggested it would
be a way to hold a bike.

Have just got the Parrot catalogue and they have one for sale Sunny Wheel Bike Lift code SUN-LIFT
www.parrot-online.com

but would it hold a bike on its side over the car in the apex of a garage. Mike
 
D

Dave Larrington

Guest
Richard Lucock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of days ago, I replaced the chain and cassette (but not the chain rings) on my bike;
> since then the chain skips when I push hard on the pedals (the chain stays on the same cog).
> Poking around on the web, the only explanation I find for this is that the chain rings need
> replacing. Does anyone here know of any other possibilities ?
>
> Cheers, Richard

My upright used spontaneously to change gear when pushing hard on the pedals, particularly when on
the small chainring. It proved impossible to isolate the component causing the problem - though I
suspect the indescribably ancient Deore rear mech was the culprit - so I ended up replacing
everything. Chain, freewheel, rear mech and shift levers. It now works as advertised again.

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================
 
R

Richard Lucock

Guest
Hi,

> have you checked for a stiff link where you joined the new chain?

There was one - but fixing it didn't help, alas. Since the skipping can occur anywhere along
the chain, but only on the middle chain ring, I'm going to assume that the ring is worn, and
replace it.

Thanks for all replies,
richard

--
Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist ?
 
F

Frank°

Guest
"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> My upright used spontaneously to change gear when pushing hard on the pedals, particularly when on
> the small chainring. It proved impossible to isolate the component causing the problem - though I
> suspect the indescribably ancient Deore rear mech was the culprit - so I ended up replacing
> everything. Chain, freewheel, rear mech and shift levers. It
now
> works as advertised again.
>

Cool answer if my chain ever skips again I'll know what to do, do you think a new bike would fix
it too ;o)
 
D

Dave Larrington

Guest
Frank° wrote:
> Cool answer if my chain ever skips again I'll know what to do, do you think a new bike would fix
> it too ;o)

It *might*, but I wouldn't count on it...

The Wise Sheldon opines that such symptoms can be encountered when the rear derailleur cable runs
under the B/B and the tunnel through which it runs gets clogged up with mank.. De-grotting and
lubricating the tunnel provideth relief until such time as it gets filled with Road Cheese again,
chiz. In some cases, anyway.

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On Wed, 7 May 2003 23:13:20 +0100, "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sunny Wheel Bike Lift

Just what I need - the kitchen is getting a bit full what with the recumbent and the triplet
in there...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On Thu, 8 May 2003 16:09:27 +0000 (UTC), "Frank°" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Cool answer if my chain ever skips again I'll know what to do, do you think a new bike would fix
>it too ;o)

To be on the safe side, better get three new bikes: one on the road, one in the cleaner, and one
ready to ride. If it works for chains it must work even better for whole bikes. I must try that on
SWMBO next time I'm at FutureCycles...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:
> On Thu, 8 May 2003 16:09:27 +0000 (UTC), "Frank°"
>
> To be on the safe side, better get three new bikes: one on the road, one in the cleaner, and one
> ready to ride. If it works for chains it must work even better for whole bikes.

I just rotate the chain. You need several bikes and rotate a chain between them to make it last
longer. Hang on, I think I've got that the wrong way round. Oh well, never mind, too late ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.