Causes of lower back pain

IzzyG

Jan 14, 2006
Heya guys, I've looked around and found a few causes of lower back pain but am wondering it there's more. I'll list the ones I know,

1. Too stretched out
2. Seat is too high(read that even a 3 mm rise too much could pull on your lower back muscles)
3. Unbalanced physiological causes on the legs(skeletal or muscular)

I'm going to my LBS this Wednesday to get fitted but would like to know the causes anyways. Thanks.

Izzy G.

To add to your list:

Weak abdominal muscles
Herniated disc
Spinal Stenosis (calcifications of the forama through which the nerves exit the spinal column)

There have been numerous threads discussing (and mostly discounting) the effect of weight training on performance in cycling. I agree that in most cases, weight training does nothing to improve performance on the bicycle; however some exercises will go a long way in preventing injuries. In addition to having the correct bicycle geometry, lower back pain can be prevented or lessened in many cases by strengthing the core muscle groups.

When I was young, I exercised to improve strength and speed. Now, I exercise to prevent injury and cardiovascular disease.

IzzyG said:
Heya guys, I've looked around and found a few causes of lower back pain but am wondering it there's more. I'll list the ones I know,

1. Too stretched out
2. Seat is too high(read that even a 3 mm rise too much could pull on your lower back muscles)
3. Unbalanced physiological causes on the legs(skeletal or muscular)

I'm going to my LBS this Wednesday to get fitted but would like to know the causes anyways. Thanks.

Izzy G.
I have found that doing ab work outs a couple times a week makes a HUGE difference in my back. Far less pain and soreness when I have done some ab workouts.

COULD BE THE BARS ARE TOO LOW - COMMON .
could just be a road shock problem - try running 23 mm tyres and/or lower pressures .
our club sec had this problem start when he changed his saddle to a model with ali frame - this combined with steel frame , radial spoked aero wheels and 20 mm tyres was enough to tip the balence , he changed the saddle for one with a bit more complience and the trouble disapeared .