caution\bike accident report

larryb

Oct 6, 2004
:eek: Its been about 30 days since i had a head-on crash between me on my carbon trek and a 1980 Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. The biker was treated and released from the hospital shortly after the wreck. Impact speed was at least 50 mph.

My injuries include a gash to my left forearm, puncture to my right thigh on the outer side (i guess from something like a brake lever), a gash to my left knee on the outside edge, and a cracked joint of my left hip ball/socket joint. All seems to be healing well. i have a tender spot under my right shoulder blade which is painful when i breath deeply and it also sends pain to from my left shoulder to head and it causes my left arm to go numb sometimes. My physical therapist knows this problem and is working on it by using pressure to the nerve under the shoulder blade. I get home PT 3 times/week and see the doc on Thursday, probably to remove some of the staples from my knee. I'm taking pain meds to keep the shoulder blade thing from bothering me too much.

What happened?

It was a beautiful Saturday, so I left for a ride at about noon, planning to do about 30/40 miles on a loop that goes thru farm land and woods and crosses the Wicomico river at two places via small ferries. After about an hour, I was on a straight section of newly surfaced narrow road with open fields on either side. The road approached a left bend into a wooded section. Out of the wooded section came a motorcycle. He and I were fine. I smiled. Then a second biker broke out from behind the first bike. I guess that he looked to the inside of the turn and saw open road, then rolled the bike to his left to pass. We had been in each other's blind spot! Neither of us knew of the other before his breakaway move. There we were, maybe 150 ft apart. I thought of reacting but had no time to do anything. I seem to recall the motorcycle starting to lay over on its side. I was knocked unconscious and awoke after what I though was about 30 seconds. The motorcycle landed beside the road in the 4 ft deep ditch. The bike was on its side and my body was on top of the motor, with my leg on the exhaust pipe. The burn from the pipe is what I think brought me back to awareness. The smell of gas was around me, so somehow I pulled myself off the bike and lay beside it till emergency folks arrived in a few minutes. Given that there were 15-20 people around me when I awoke and that it was a rural road, I probably had been out for 5-7 minutes. As a friend said, they probably thought they were looking at a dead man.

I talked to the MD state trooper and asked him to call my wife; Kathy came to the hospital around 2pm. I was in the ER from 2-9 having diagnostic treatment. The room stunk of gas because my clothing was saturated with it. I asked and they removed the trash! I told the anesthesiologist that I'd had oral cancer and that my jawbone and teeth needed tender treatment because any problem there could be life threatening to me. He told me later, that it was good that we talked because there were complications and he used special equipment on me (normal incubation probably would have killed me). They cleaned my knee cut and sewed up the rest of my wounds, and I was off to the orthopedic ward for a few days. There I responded to treatment well and was released on Tuesday afternoon.
I continue to improve since being home. Yet the shoulder blade thing that had recovered in the hospital re-occurred on Friday. However it is again recovering. On a training bike, I can now make about 3 /4 rotation with my left leg. I'm getting around with the help of a cane. Thankfully none of the wounds hit an artery, thankfully no fire, thankfully I talked with the anesthesiologist. The hospital staff was excellent.

I am glad I was on a carbon bike that broke the top and down tubes. I have a large back & blue on my right inner thigh. I think that the carbon tube snapped before the bone! If it had been steel or AL, I think I would have a broken right leg.

Since the accident, I have often thought and said that 'On Saturday I was bless with Grace.'

I called many of my friends and family members on Sunday. It was so good to hear their voices.

-----------------------------
Any other bike/motorcycle accident survivors out there?

Larry,

I'm glad you're still with us!

Nice to hear you're so keen to get back on the bike too. You nutter.:D

Get well soon, mate.

Steve

Larry,

A truly horrible accident, and I am glad it wasn't worse... I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Although you describe many details of the accident, I am most curious about how you will ride differently in the future in order to minimize the risk of a similar accident, or was it simply unavoidable. I ask because I often think through scenarios as I ride (or walk, or drive).

Would you ride a different line? Immediately head for the ditch?

I am a big believer that part of safety is to always have an escape plan in mind... What do you think would have helped for this situation?

hey there,

the first motorcycle and i passed each other easily. i recall smiling that he was in his lane. we both were riding properly.

when the second rider made the move to pass, there was no time for me to head for the ditch. it was over when he made the move. i had time to realize that there was no exit line, then impact.

in general, riding with a group provides more visability for us bikers. however i don't think many of us are willing to restrict our riding to group rides. i was wearing a bright yellow long sleeve shirt.... very easy to see, if someone is looking! The motorcylist was charged with causing the accident.

i might ride my mountain bike on some solo rides so that i can be closer to the shoulder.... but you have to realize that we have deer in these rural areas. one biker was rammed by a buck! we must make our best guess as to how to minimize accidents.

i have gotten a list of med allert braclet dealers and will be wearing one in the future. there seems to be three types
(a) info inscribed on braclet
(b) braclet has 24/7 phone number, where in depth info can be reached by phone.
(c) braclet that holds a scroll piece of paper that contains lots of info.

i appreciate folks that ride defensively. i do that myself. in this case, i don't get down on myself because i was riding properly. its a fact, stuff happens.

one other comment. the fellow who hit me had marginal insurance. it turns out that my auto insurance has a section for 'un-insured' or 'under-insured' cases. fortunately, it seems that i have more than enough insurance (a) to pay for my medical needs and (b) lost wages. i had no idea that i had bought that plan. i just bought what the insurance agent recommended 30 yrs ago. that fellow gave me great advice. you may want to check your auto insurance policy to see if you are covered for accidents with under or non-insured motorists.

cu,
larryb

Glad to hear that you survived the accident and in relatively good condition too, all things concidered.

Good thing you have good insurance too. Hope you heal up quickly and can get back on the road.

Luckily I have never had any close calls on my bike, and hopefully I never will.

Keep the wheels turning, even if you have to crank them by hand for the time being. ;)

larryb said:
:eek: Its been about 30 days since i had a head-on crash between me on my carbon trek and a 1980 Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. The biker was treated and released from the hospital shortly after the wreck. Impact speed was at least 50 mph.

My injuries include a gash to my left forearm, puncture to my right thigh on the outer side (i guess from something like a brake lever), a gash to my left knee on the outside edge, and a cracked joint of my left hip ball/socket joint. All seems to be healing well. i have a tender spot under my right shoulder blade which is painful when i breath deeply and it also sends pain to from my left shoulder to head and it causes my left arm to go numb sometimes. My physical therapist knows this problem and is working on it by using pressure to the nerve under the shoulder blade. I get home PT 3 times/week and see the doc on Thursday, probably to remove some of the staples from my knee. I'm taking pain meds to keep the shoulder blade thing from bothering me too much.

What happened?

It was a beautiful Saturday, so I left for a ride at about noon, planning to do about 30/40 miles on a loop that goes thru farm land and woods and crosses the Wicomico river at two places via small ferries. After about an hour, I was on a straight section of newly surfaced narrow road with open fields on either side. The road approached a left bend into a wooded section. Out of the wooded section came a motorcycle. He and I were fine. I smiled. Then a second biker broke out from behind the first bike. I guess that he looked to the inside of the turn and saw open road, then rolled the bike to his left to pass. We had been in each other's blind spot! Neither of us knew of the other before his breakaway move. There we were, maybe 150 ft apart. I thought of reacting but had no time to do anything. I seem to recall the motorcycle starting to lay over on its side. I was knocked unconscious and awoke after what I though was about 30 seconds. The motorcycle landed beside the road in the 4 ft deep ditch. The bike was on its side and my body was on top of the motor, with my leg on the exhaust pipe. The burn from the pipe is what I think brought me back to awareness. The smell of gas was around me, so somehow I pulled myself off the bike and lay beside it till emergency folks arrived in a few minutes. Given that there were 15-20 people around me when I awoke and that it was a rural road, I probably had been out for 5-7 minutes. As a friend said, they probably thought they were looking at a dead man.

I talked to the MD state trooper and asked him to call my wife; Kathy came to the hospital around 2pm. I was in the ER from 2-9 having diagnostic treatment. The room stunk of gas because my clothing was saturated with it. I asked and they removed the trash! I told the anesthesiologist that I'd had oral cancer and that my jawbone and teeth needed tender treatment because any problem there could be life threatening to me. He told me later, that it was good that we talked because there were complications and he used special equipment on me (normal incubation probably would have killed me). They cleaned my knee cut and sewed up the rest of my wounds, and I was off to the orthopedic ward for a few days. There I responded to treatment well and was released on Tuesday afternoon.
I continue to improve since being home. Yet the shoulder blade thing that had recovered in the hospital re-occurred on Friday. However it is again recovering. On a training bike, I can now make about 3 /4 rotation with my left leg. I'm getting around with the help of a cane. Thankfully none of the wounds hit an artery, thankfully no fire, thankfully I talked with the anesthesiologist. The hospital staff was excellent.

I am glad I was on a carbon bike that broke the top and down tubes. I have a large back & blue on my right inner thigh. I think that the carbon tube snapped before the bone! If it had been steel or AL, I think I would have a broken right leg.

Since the accident, I have often thought and said that 'On Saturday I was bless with Grace.'

I called many of my friends and family members on Sunday. It was so good to hear their voices.

-----------------------------
Any other bike/motorcycle accident survivors out there?

I'm glad you're still with us too. I had a friend that was injured in an ALL BIKING ACCIDENT. I'm curious if you were carrying ID and if anyone looked at it prior to you coming too. One other question, were you able to have an insurance companies pick up the cost of replacing your bike?

Take care of yourself and get back on the road.

Keith

Keith wrote and i snipped:

> I'm curious if you were carrying ID

no, however i will be wearing one in the future.
see my orginal post.

> and if anyone looked at it prior to you coming too.

the 15 or 20 people just watched me laying on the motorcycle, with my clothing saturated in gasoline. fortunately no one threw a cig butt. i suppose they all thought that i was dead. they must have freaked when i awoke and pulled myself onto the grass.

> One other question, were you able to have an insurance companies pick up the cost of replacing your bike?

yes. the other fellows auto insurance coverd the cost of my bike, clothing and other equipment. sporting goods is pro-rated for 10 years, so i lost 10% from the orginal cost.

>Take care of yourself and get back on the road.

thanks, i plan to start out with my mountain bike because it is a bit more stable (slicks for on road). if all goes right, i should be riding again sometime this year.

i plan to order a new road bike when i as soon as i feel stable on the mountain bike. my bike dealer says the road bike that i want is in stock from the builder and he can have it ready to go in 3 days. because of the way the carbon broke, i think it saved my leg bones. i will be ordering carbon again. no steel, TI or AL for me.:D

cu,
larryb

>are you going to sue him?

here's the situation.

his insurance = 1 unit.
my insurance = 10 units.

so my insurance is taking the lead and paying bills.
meaning that:
all property losses are being re-imbursed.
all medical expenses are being paid.

there will be a settlement at the end. however the medical coverage lasts for 3 yrs, so there is no need to be in a rush to get to final settlement.

i have the option of getting a lawyer at anytime. lawyer fees here are 33-40%. if the insurance company doesn't offer a reasonable settlement, then i will get a lawyer. i would like to keep lawyers out of this. if the insurance company is willing to pay what is generally considered a fair settlement, i will agree. however i know that it will take firm negotiation on my part to get the insurance company to make a fair offer.

since the accident, i've been told of cases where there has been little insurance and the other party had no real assests. in those cases, the bikers recieve minimal insurance money.

that's why i advise folks to check their auto insurance policies. it can be your best friend in needy times. note that my policy also has a clause that says it will pay 85% of my salary if i become disabled. i had no idea that my policy covered me for any of this. for more than 30 yrs, i had never read the policy. thankfully it does! read your auto insurance policy and ensure that you have the coverage to take care of you and your family in needy times.

a friend sent me these statistics for the US:
719 bicyclists and 4,641 pedestrians killed in traffic accidents. This is 13% of all traffic fatalities.
41,000 bicyclists and 68,000 pedestrians injured as a result of collisions with motor vehicles..:confused:

cu,
larryb

Wow Larry, That is quite a harrowing story. I am glad to hear that you are progressing and will be okay. That is paramount in this thing. You offer some good advice regarding checking your insurance policy. I would never have thought of that. I also do not have a mdical alert ID. I am now going to get one (I am a diabetic). Its also good to hear that you plan on gettting back out on the bike. I will be keeping you in mind whenever I am out on the road.

Hang in there..we are pulling for you.

Cheers,

Brian

Must say, its the first time I've heard of somone being GLAD their CF bike was so fragile...

hey Storm999

>Must say, its the first time I've heard of somone being GLAD their CF bike was so fragile...

i was recently told that CF is stronger than bone, so i'm re-thinking how lucky i am. :eek:

I saw my bike the other day and it looks much worse than pics show. Where the tubes broke, they are de-laminaged - giving the appearence of high energy destruction.

the down tube was broken at 3 locations, including one near the peddles - which is supposed to be one of the strongest parts of the frame.

both CF bottle holders were broken.

the top tube was broken in towards the seat.

the front wheel looks like a potato chip - however both tires are holding air.

cables were the only thing holding the front and back of the bike together. it would be easy to pack the bike for shipment to some exotic loctaion.

my hip is cracked, yet i wonder -why aren't my legs broken? i still think CF had something to do with it.

i've learned of another fellow who had a bike/motorcycle accident around New Years. i'm trying to contact him to see how he's doing. apparently his injuries are more severe than mine.

seems like there ain't much new.

cu,
larryb

Your story definitely shows that no matter how well prepared we are, the unexpected can still strike.

My thoughts are with you for a quick recovery.

Thanks for posting your story. It chilled me reading it. I wish you a smooth recovery. As far as replacing your bike, when my bike was stolen, I was able to get a quote from my bike shop for what the replacement cost would be. This took into account a 10% increase in prices in six months. I was pro-rated with a 5% deduction. The settlement itself was more than the amount I originally paid for my stolen bike. My replacement bike is a bit better-suited to me, as well. Check with your insurance and push for replacement cost, rather than re-imbursment cost.