Cave for sleeping in ( The Lakes)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tony Gent, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Tony Gent

    Tony Gent Guest

    Hi

    Does anybody know of any caves for sleeping in. I am thinking of a 1 or 2
    night trip to the lakes just before Xmas and thinking about sleeping in a
    cave (for a change). Anybody found any or even slept in one.

    Cheers

    Tony

    Tags:

  2. > Does anybody know of any caves for sleeping in. I am thinking of a 1 or 2
    > night trip to the lakes just before Xmas and thinking about sleeping in a
    > cave (for a change). Anybody found any or even slept in one.

    The only one I know of is Priest Hole Cave below Hart Crag on the right-hand
    (anti-clockwise) leg of the Fairfield Horseshoe from Ambleside. Never used
    it, but have seen many reports about it on the Net. Supposed to be a guest
    book, and other things inside. A guy was going for a 'visit' when we were
    passing below it early in Nov. Take a look at the following photo of him
    ...... and almost of the cave. The photo is the 10th on the page.

    http://www.thewalkzone.co.uk/Lake_District/walk_69/191104.htm

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  3. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:53:15 GMT, "Tony Gent"
    <antdg*s*p*a*m*@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    Hi there,

    >Does anybody know of any caves for sleeping in. I am thinking of a 1 or 2
    >night trip to the lakes just before Xmas and thinking about sleeping in a
    >cave (for a change). Anybody found any or even slept in one.

    I just know of the one that Sandy has already mentioned, but here's a
    different page with a trip report. I've never been there, but it
    sounds good. In fact, there are several really good trip reports on
    this page: it's good to make a drink and settle down to enjoy :)

    http://www.bassplace.freeserve.co.uk/wildcamp/trip_reports.htm

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  4. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Tony Gent" <antdg*s*p*a*m*@ntlworld.com> wrote

    > Does anybody know of any caves for sleeping in. I am thinking of a 1 or 2
    > night trip to the lakes just before Xmas and thinking about sleeping in a
    > cave (for a change). Anybody found any or even slept in one.

    There was a guy called something like Millican Dalton who used to live in a
    cave in Borrowdale (Castle Crag?). Just read about the bloke, never seen
    the cave.

  5. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Tony Gent" <antdg*s*p*a*m*@ntlworld.com> wrote

    > Does anybody know of any caves for sleeping in. I am thinking of a 1 or 2
    > night trip to the lakes just before Xmas and thinking about sleeping in a
    > cave (for a change). Anybody found any or even slept in one.

    There's at least one large one by Loughrigg Terrace that they used to hold
    carol concerts in. I think there's two of them.

  6. Carl

    Carl Guest

    >The only one I know of is Priest Hole Cave below Hart Crag on the right-hand
    >(anti-clockwise) leg of the Fairfield Horseshoe from Ambleside. Never used
    >it, but have seen many reports about it on the Net. Supposed to be a guest
    >book, and other things inside. A guy was going for a 'visit' when we were
    >passing below it early in Nov. Take a look at the following photo of him
    >..... and almost of the cave. The photo is the 10th on the page.

    I planed to stay here twice,
    first time I had to bivy below it as I was too slow coming over St
    Sunday, The cloud came in with sleat and then it got dark so made do
    with the bivy.
    Second time on a Saturday it was full of kids and leader from an
    Outward Bound type thingy. I have heard similar from a few people
    (kids and leader hogging the spaces)
    Its more of a scoop than a cave, though scoopy enough to give plenty
    of shelter, you will not bang your head at the back because you cant
    see, at least not in the day.

    Another cave might be Millican Daltons on Castle Crag, but that being
    a Wainwright that is still on my list I cant comment.

    A third is the "Secret" cave/bothy which seems to have gained mythical
    status and ranks alongside Ali Baba,
    but you'd have to be Dog tired to stay there and you'd Woof down your
    food there after a hard days bounding across the fells

  7. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:53:15 GMT, "Tony Gent"
    <antdg*s*p*a*m*@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Does anybody know of any caves for sleeping in. I am thinking of a 1 or 2
    >night trip to the lakes just before Xmas and thinking about sleeping in a
    >cave (for a change). Anybody found any or even slept in one.

    Cathedral Cave, Little Langdale.

  8. Andy Laycock

    Andy Laycock Guest

    > A third is the "Secret" cave/bothy which seems to have gained mythical
    > status and ranks alongside Ali Baba,
    > but you'd have to be Dog tired to stay there and you'd Woof down your
    > food there after a hard days bounding across the fells

    I was there on Saturday night!!!

  9. Andy Laycock

    Andy Laycock Guest

    "Andy Laycock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> A third is the "Secret" cave/bothy which seems to have gained mythical
    >> status and ranks alongside Ali Baba,
    >> but you'd have to be Dog tired to stay there and you'd Woof down your
    >> food there after a hard days bounding across the fells

    > I was there on Saturday night!!!

    Please keep its location quiet though!!

  10. Tony Gent

    Tony Gent Guest

    could somebody email me with the location of this cave pls. Never were any
    good an cryptic crosswords.

    cheers

    tony

    "Andy Laycock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > A third is the "Secret" cave/bothy which seems to have gained mythical
    > > status and ranks alongside Ali Baba,
    > > but you'd have to be Dog tired to stay there and you'd Woof down your
    > > food there after a hard days bounding across the fells

    > I was there on Saturday night!!!

  11. Andy Laycock

    Andy Laycock Guest

    > could somebody email me with the location of this cave pls. Never were any
    > good an cryptic crosswords.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > tony

    I'm afraid I don't want to pass on its location as over the past 15 year
    visits have increased causing some of the best features have been damaged.
    I'm sure your not the sort to go around vandalising things but word spreads!

    Cheers

    Andrew

  12. Carol Haynes

    Carol Haynes Guest

    "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Tony Gent" <antdg*s*p*a*m*@ntlworld.com> wrote
    >
    >> Does anybody know of any caves for sleeping in. I am thinking of a 1 or 2
    >> night trip to the lakes just before Xmas and thinking about sleeping in a
    >> cave (for a change). Anybody found any or even slept in one.

    > There was a guy called something like Millican Dalton who used to live in
    > cave in Borrowdale (Castle Crag?). Just read about the bloke, never seen
    > the cave.

    Popular one just above the campsite in the woods. It is marked on the OS map
    as 'cave'.