CBC NEWS; DMT

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mark, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    New designer steroid found in Canada
    WebPosted Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:59:56 EST
    CBC Sports
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/02/01/Sports/wada050201.html
    CBC Sports: New designer steroid found in Canada

    The World Anti-Doping Agency has discovered a new designer steroid in
    the wake of the on-going THG scandal.

    World Anti-Doping Agency chairman Dick Pound has been front and centre
    in developing new drug tests for athletes. (CP File Photo)

    Christiane Ayotte, director of the WADA-accredited doping laboratory
    in Montreal, said that Canadian customs officers seized bottles of
    various substances at the Canada-U.S. border in July.

    Working with Canada Customs scientists they discovered it was a new
    performance-enhancing drug, dubbed Desoxy-Methyl Testosterone or DMT.

    It has the ability to increase strength, muscle bulk and stamina.

    "In this case, whoever made this drug had access to serious organic
    chemists," Ayotte said. "It is at a level of sophistication what we
    have not seen before."

    Ayotte said re-tests of stored urine samples taken from athletes in
    recent months showed no trace of the drug and she believes it was
    caught before it went into general circulation.

    She said it appears to be a new generation of steroid from
    tetrahydrogestrinone (THG), the muscle-building compound discovered in
    2003 that sparked a United States federal inquiry into the San
    Francisco-based BALCO laboratory.

    Several leading track athletes, including double world sprint champion
    Kelli White and Britain's European 100m champion Dwain Chambers have
    been suspended from competition after THG was discovered in their
    system.

    Tuesday's announcement by WADA only served to endorse the claims of
    BALCO head Victor Conte, who investigators believe manufactured and
    distributed THG.

    "You think it's over just because they've indicted me," Conte said.
    "Please. There's a new version out there right now."

    It's not known if Conte was referring to DMT.

    Because the DMT case is still under investigation in Canada, Ayotte
    would not say where the new drug came from or who was supposed to
    receive it.

    with files from Canadian Press

    Tags:

  2. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > New designer steroid found in Canada
    > WebPosted Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:59:56 EST
    > CBC Sports

    http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/02/01/Sports/wada050201.html
    > CBC Sports: New designer steroid found in Canada
    >
    > The World Anti-Doping Agency has discovered a new designer steroid in
    > the wake of the on-going THG scandal.
    >
    > World Anti-Doping Agency chairman Dick Pound has been front and

    centre
    > in developing new drug tests for athletes. (CP File Photo)
    >
    > Christiane Ayotte, director of the WADA-accredited doping laboratory
    > in Montreal, said that Canadian customs officers seized bottles of
    > various substances at the Canada-U.S. border in July.
    >
    > Working with Canada Customs scientists they discovered it was a new
    > performance-enhancing drug, dubbed Desoxy-Methyl Testosterone or DMT.
    >
    > It has the ability to increase strength, muscle bulk and stamina.
    >
    > "In this case, whoever made this drug had access to serious organic
    > chemists," Ayotte said. "It is at a level of sophistication what we
    > have not seen before."
    >
    > Ayotte said re-tests of stored urine samples taken from athletes in
    > recent months showed no trace of the drug and she believes it was
    > caught before it went into general circulation.
    >
    > She said it appears to be a new generation of steroid from
    > tetrahydrogestrinone (THG), the muscle-building compound discovered

    in
    > 2003 that sparked a United States federal inquiry into the San
    > Francisco-based BALCO laboratory.
    >
    > Several leading track athletes, including double world sprint

    champion
    > Kelli White and Britain's European 100m champion Dwain Chambers have
    > been suspended from competition after THG was discovered in their
    > system.
    >
    > Tuesday's announcement by WADA only served to endorse the claims of
    > BALCO head Victor Conte, who investigators believe manufactured and
    > distributed THG.
    >
    > "You think it's over just because they've indicted me," Conte said.
    > "Please. There's a new version out there right now."
    >
    > It's not known if Conte was referring to DMT.
    >
    > Because the DMT case is still under investigation in Canada, Ayotte
    > would not say where the new drug came from or who was supposed to
    > receive it.
    >
    > with files from Canadian Press

    not to be confused with dimethyltryptamine ;)