CBC radio -- dangers of cycling

JS

Guest
Early this week CBC Radio in Ontario broadcast a piece about the dangers
of bicycling. I only heard part of it: spinal cord injury, a cyclist
injured every n minutes, and the urgency of mandatory helmet laws were
mentioned. I'd like to hear it in its entirety: Did anyone happen to
record it?

JS

JS wrote:
> Early this week CBC Radio in Ontario broadcast a piece about the dangers
> of bicycling. I only heard part of it: spinal cord injury, a cyclist
> injured every n minutes, and the urgency of mandatory helmet laws were
> mentioned. I'd like to hear it in its entirety: Did anyone happen to
> record it?
>
> JS

No, I missed it. When was it on? I heard a gastly news clip about
"safety experts" and helmets on the 7:30 news (Ontario Morning program)
the other day and I beleve that John Milloy, MPP was on last week.

You might be able to find it in a CBC archive; I had a quick look with
no luck but it may be worth an e-mail to Ontario Morning
[email protected] to see if they can help you.

John Kane
Kingston ON

On 22 Jul 2005 11:56:32 -0700, "John_Kane" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>JS wrote:
>> Early this week CBC Radio in Ontario broadcast a piece about the dangers
>> of bicycling. I only heard part of it: spinal cord injury, a cyclist
>> injured every n minutes, and the urgency of mandatory helmet laws were
>> mentioned. I'd like to hear it in its entirety: Did anyone happen to
>> record it?
>>
>> JS

>No, I missed it. When was it on? I heard a gastly news clip about
>"safety experts" and helmets on the 7:30 news (Ontario Morning program)
>the other day and I beleve that John Milloy, MPP was on last week.
>
>You might be able to find it in a CBC archive; I had a quick look with
>no luck but it may be worth an e-mail to Ontario Morning
>[email protected] to see if they can help you.
>
>John Kane
>Kingston ON

What's funny is they never have the nerve (thank gawd) to broadcast about
the -really- scary statistics.

Heck, even things like little kids killed in backyard pools per day
probably has equal or higher stats than cyclists killed in traffic.

jj

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:08:54 -0400, jj<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 22 Jul 2005 11:56:32 -0700, "John_Kane" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>

>>JS wrote:
>>> Early this week CBC Radio in Ontario broadcast a piece about the dangers
>>> of bicycling. I only heard part of it: spinal cord injury, a cyclist
>>> injured every n minutes, and the urgency of mandatory helmet laws were
>>> mentioned. I'd like to hear it in its entirety: Did anyone happen to
>>> record it?
>>>
>>> JS

>>No, I missed it. When was it on? I heard a gastly news clip about
>>"safety experts" and helmets on the 7:30 news (Ontario Morning program)
>>the other day and I beleve that John Milloy, MPP was on last week.
>>
>>You might be able to find it in a CBC archive; I had a quick look with
>>no luck but it may be worth an e-mail to Ontario Morning
>>[email protected] to see if they can help you.
>>
>>John Kane
>>Kingston ON

>What's funny is they never have the nerve (thank gawd) to broadcast about
>the -really- scary statistics.
>
>Heck, even things like little kids killed in backyard pools per day
>probably has equal or higher stats than cyclists killed in traffic.
>
>jj

ALmost certainly...every summer I read ten times more stories about
kids drowning in backyard pools than I read about death by cyclists.
And the leading cause of death among sixteen year olds is car
accidents- not drugs, not guns, not bikes.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:08:54 -0400, jj<[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 22 Jul 2005 11:56:32 -0700, "John_Kane" <[email protected]>
> >wrote:

> >>No, I missed it. When was it on? I heard a gastly news clip about
> >>"safety experts" and helmets on the 7:30 news (Ontario Morning program)
> >>the other day and I beleve that John Milloy, MPP was on last week.
> >>
> >>You might be able to find it in a CBC archive; I had a quick look with
> >>no luck but it may be worth an e-mail to Ontario Morning
> >>[email protected] to see if they can help you.
> >>
> >>John Kane
> >>Kingston ON

> >What's funny is they never have the nerve (thank gawd) to broadcast about
> >the -really- scary statistics.
> >
> >Heck, even things like little kids killed in backyard pools per day
> >probably has equal or higher stats than cyclists killed in traffic.
> >
> >jj

> ALmost certainly...every summer I read ten times more stories about
> kids drowning in backyard pools than I read about death by cyclists.
> And the leading cause of death among sixteen year olds is car
> accidents- not drugs, not guns, not bikes.

It may be that CBC in Toronto has decided to "go cycling" this summer.
I belive John Millory MPP and the sponsor in the Ont Legislature was to
be on Ontario Morning last week, and I noticed that one of the themes
for CBC's Radio One show "Fresh Air" was cycling this morning.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who claim to be 'experts' know little
about cycling and less about cycling safety but still feel free to
make pronouncements (or in some cases I suspect outright lies).

John Kane
Kingston ON

I didn't record what I heard, which was a debate between Avery Burdett and
an MPP, whose name I forget, but who was not Milloy. Instead it was the
author of a similar bill a few years back.

They two gentlemen obviously do not see eye to eye. The MPP rudely
interrupted Avery and had to be asked to shut up--and that was for starters.
It sounded to me like the fellow was a complete non-cyclist.

Statistics were tossed about. I think the point was made that one can be
anti-law without being anti-helmet. Yet I am not sure that the non-cycling
public understands why a perfectly sane and rational cyclist might choose a
proper cycling cap or bare head over a styrofoam lid. Perhaps those reasons
are too personal and variable to bother discussing.

Avery did point out that everywhere these laws are implemented that they do
not work.

That is my take on what I heard.

Blake

I submit that on or about Sun, 24 Jul 2005 06:58:14 -0400, the person
known to the court as "B Paton" <[email protected]> made a
statement (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's
bundle) to the following effect:

>I am not sure that the non-cycling
>public understands why a perfectly sane and rational cyclist might choose a
>proper cycling cap or bare head over a styrofoam lid.

I don't have a problem with that, as long as they don't impose their
prejudices on others.

There was a great cartoon featuring the MP who proposed a helmet bill
here a while back, and the woman who runs the pro-compulsion group
BHIT (aka BeHIT); it's on my page about the bill itself:
<url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/Martlew_Bill>

Both the MP and the obsessive-compulsive, a nurse called Angela Lee,
are non-cyclists and very overweight.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 06:58:14 -0400, "B Paton"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I didn't record what I heard, which was a debate between Avery Burdett and
>an MPP, whose name I forget, but who was not Milloy. Instead it was the
>author of a similar bill a few years back.
>
>They two gentlemen obviously do not see eye to eye. The MPP rudely
>interrupted Avery and had to be asked to shut up--and that was for starters.
>It sounded to me like the fellow was a complete non-cyclist.
>
>Statistics were tossed about. I think the point was made that one can be
>anti-law without being anti-helmet. Yet I am not sure that the non-cycling
>public understands why a perfectly sane and rational cyclist might choose a
>proper cycling cap or bare head over a styrofoam lid. Perhaps those reasons
>are too personal and variable to bother discussing.
>
>Avery did point out that everywhere these laws are implemented that they do
>not work.
>
>That is my take on what I heard.
>
>Blake

Yesterday ,some shmo wrote a letter to the paper, commenting on a
photo of cyclists in london, commuting to work, who stopped at a red
light. He said, if only OUR cyclists could be so considerate.

We hear this all the time- obviously there are idiots on bikes who
don' t even look where they are going, but I wonder if this guy
notices how many drivers go right through stop signs without even
LOOKING! The other day, I was riding along a road near my house,and
this stupid woman was so desperate to get away from me she accelerated
and blew a stop sign- with her baby in the car. SO much for Baby on
Board. Meanwhile, I was following the rules of the road. Anyways, the
cyclists in london were probably at a very busy intersection at rush
hour, and you'd have to be an idiot not to stop.

[email protected] wrote:

> We hear this all the time- obviously there are idiots on bikes who
> don' t even look where they are going, but I wonder if this guy
> notices how many drivers go right through stop signs without even
> LOOKING! The other day, I was riding along a road near my house,and
> this stupid woman was so desperate to get away from me she accelerated
> and blew a stop sign- with her baby in the car. SO much for Baby on
> Board. Meanwhile, I was following the rules of the road. Anyways, the
> cyclists in london were probably at a very busy intersection at rush
> hour, and you'd have to be an idiot not to stop.

I pretty much see *at least* one, *blatant* running of a red
light by a motorist every day on my bike commute to work.

I'd also have to say, *most* bicyclists I see will pass
through a red if they have a clear shot.

Unfortunate! It simply reinforces the idea that bicyclists
don't really deserve any respect from motorists [IMHO], while
those same motorists don't make any sort of judgment, beyond
"you jerk, you cut me off", against violator fellow motorists.

SMH

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> There was a great cartoon featuring the MP who proposed a helmet
> billhere a while back, and the woman who runs the pro-compulsion group
>
> BHIT (aka BeHIT); it's on my page about the bill itself:
><url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/Martlew_Bill>
>
>Both the MP and the obsessive-compulsive, a nurse called Angela Lee,
>are non-cyclists and very overweight.
>
>Guy

Thanks for documenting that.

This is just another example of the motoring public hoping to further
restrict cycling, ostensibly for our own good.

Wayne