CBD Bicycle Parking - Melb

Man Without Pigs

Guest
I've been thinking about opening a public bike parking in the CBD for
those who want to commute to work but havn't end-of-ride facilities at
their work.

I'd be interested to know what potential riders thoughts are on the
following issues:

Showers - private?

Lockers - keyless? size?

Opening times 6am-9pm? 24hrs?

Security Gaurds

Cages for bikes -or a mix of cheaper stalls and cages for expensive bikes?

Daily/casual/monthly rates

ticketing - can't remove bike from building with out one

Location - near train station , edge of CBD?

Man Without Pigs said:
I've been thinking about opening a public bike parking in the CBD for those who want to commute to work but havn't end-of-ride facilities at their work.

Now there was (I think?) a recent discussion about this on aus.bicycle, or another forum? Weren't Melbourne City Council investigating this?

Have a look at this:
http://www.bv.com.au/Content/NavigationMenu/Campaigns/Major_campaigns/Cycle_friendly_workplaces_and_buildings.htm

Man Without Pigs said:
I've been thinking about opening a public bike parking in the CBD for
those who want to commute to work but havn't end-of-ride facilities at
their work.

I'd be interested to know what potential riders thoughts are on the
following issues:
Showers - private?
Lockers - keyless? size?
Opening times 6am-9pm? 24hrs?
Security Gaurds
Cages for bikes -or a mix of cheaper stalls and cages for expensive bikes?
Daily/casual/monthly rates
ticketing - can't remove bike from building with out one
Location - near train station , edge of CBD?

Hah!!!

would seem you have had the same realisation i did after opening a new office and having to resort to getting a gym membership to get shower/locker. posted the idea you are thinking a few weeks back...
so here's my 2cents worth...

Showers - private?
Definetely. A friend told me recently female cyclists are like frogs! They are the strongest sign that the pertinent environment is in good shape!

Lockers - keyless? size?
Keyless? what do you have in mind? For most the access to a 'permanent' storage is preferable to keep you toiletries, spares, rocket launcher in :D

Opening times 6am-9pm? 24hrs?
6-9 is probably your most feasible but 24 hours would be ideal! Im sure the I.T. lads and bakers amongst us would like that (always keep bakers haapy:D)

Security Gaurds
Whoa nelly! Cameras definetly and perhaps one staff member is enuff, isnt it?
Cages for bikes -or a mix of cheaper stalls and cages for expensive bikes?
The best facilities are those behind either a lockable door (in cage like 101 collins) or a separate room behind a security pass (like carpark of 505 Bourke-entry off LtCollins). Racks for casuals as an incentive to commit

Daily/casual/monthly rates
Be flexible. Lots of contractors/casuals dont ride for this reason of lack of access to dependable facilities

ticketing - can't remove bike from building with out one
Perhaps? would suit short-termers but perhaps electronic 'freedom' for long-termers as incentive to commit

Location - near train station , edge of CBD?
At a guess the southern end of town (prepares to be howled down by 'northerners) as that's the greatest influx of riders up River/StKRd/Bayside.
Banana Alley would be a perfect location (not that im biased, mind :D)

if ya need a graphic designer/website/marketing material let's me know.
I'll do it for free just to see something like this get up!

glad to meet with you if your interested in discussing the park-facility further

PS why sans pigs?

F"super-commuter"Dutch

flyingdutch said:
Showers - private?
Definetely. A friend told me recently female cyclists are like frogs! They are the strongest sign that the pertinent environment is in good shape!

Reading FD's quote in context.....

You can live.

Dutchie wrote:

> A friend told me recently female cyclists are like
> frogs! They are the strongest sign that the pertinent
> environment is in good shape!

*grin* I like it! This is pretty true - if you can get women cyclists to use the place, it's gotta be good. Same goes for a bike shop, or gym, or what have you.

Hey, maybe it could be a bike shop/bike hire place as well as a bike storage place. Such things are really polular in Amsterdam. They have everything for the commuter cyclist. They'll fix your bike, sell you a new one (or a new-old one), hire you somewhere to park it, hire you a clunker (technical term for Dutch bike), or whatever you like.

> Location - near train station , edge of CBD?

In Amsterdam these places are _always_ just out the door of a railway station.

> PS why sans pigs?

Maybe if he makes enough money parking peoples bikes he can afford to buy himself some pigs?

Regards,

Suzy

At the Brisbane Ride to Work Day recently, there was a survey being
handed out o everyone on just this topic. I think its about the planned
end-of-trip facilities to be installed underneath King George Square
(replacing the upper level of the carpark there).

I'm sure if you contacted the Brisbane City Council or Bike Qld (not
sure which was doing the survey), they'd share the results with you. I
suspect that the responses on facilities (apart from location, of
course!) would translate well to other cities... Plus you have a
reasonable sample size to work with!!

Cheers,
Absent Husband

suzyj said:
Hey, maybe it could be a bike shop/bike hire place as well as a bike storage place. Such things are really polular in Amsterdam. They have everything for the commuter cyclist. They'll fix your bike, sell you a new one (or a new-old one), hire you somewhere to park it, hire you a clunker (technical term for Dutch bike), or whatever you like.

Yeah, next to Waterloo (near opera/ballet house).
In the old underground railway entrance. about 3 other 'offices' around the centraal area. we compared tatts and spoke (oun inended :D) about SS/fixies for about 2 hours once i promised to grab some waffles :D :D

suzyj said:
In Amsterdam these places are _always_ just out the door of a railway station.
Actually i spotted just as many in the middle of ANY area.

just plain ol' shop fronts for storage/parking/locking, usually linked to internet cafe or repairs dude out back. or jsut ramps in the 'newer' areas which was just a ramp leading down to a doorway underneath modern buildings.
OR the 5 LEVEL bike specific bike-park next to Centraal Amsterdam station
(looks identical to the carpark in Birrarung Mar in Melb

http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/ap-Pages/Image15.html

F"pining for 'home' again"Dutch

Just need a few $100K to start the project,

The Pigs thing ,,,, there once was a doco called "Man with no pigs"
about a New Guinian (spelling?) guy who comes to Oz, earns lots of money
and then after 20 years returns to his village . He hasnt any pigs, so is
considered to be "poor" by his villagers. The moral is that what is to be
considrered wealthy is arbirtarily dictated by society. I have no plasma
TV screen, BMW or nice house, so I'm considered by my workmates to be poor.

Now you can have a deep breath and cup of chai tea.

Groetjes,
MWP

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:38:04 +1000, flyingdutch wrote:

> [...]

> incentive to commit
>
> Daily/casual/monthly rates
> Be flexible. Lots of contractors/casuals dont ride for this reason of
> lack of access to dependable facilities
>
> ticketing - can't remove bike from building with out one
> Perhaps? would suit short-termers but perhaps electronic 'freedom' for
> long-termers as incentive to commit
>
> Location - near train station , edge of CBD?
> At a guess the southern end of town (prepares to be howled down by
> 'northerners) as that's the greatest influx of riders up
> River/StKRd/Bayside.
> Banana Alley would be a perfect location (not that im biased, mind :D)
>
> if ya need a graphic designer/website/marketing material let's me
> know.
> I'll do it for free just to see something like this get up!
>
> glad to meet with you if your interested in discussing the

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 at 06:41 GMT, Man Without Pigs (aka Bruce)
> The Pigs thing ,,,, there once was a doco called "Man with no pigs"
> about a New Guinian (spelling?) guy who comes to Oz, earns lots of money
> and then after 20 years returns to his village . He hasnt any pigs, so is
> considered to be "poor" by his villagers. The moral is that what is to be
> considrered wealthy is arbirtarily dictated by society. I have no plasma
> TV screen, BMW or nice house, so I'm considered by my workmates to be poor.

:)

I stopped getting paid for a month because of beurocracy stuffups, and
I thought I would be rich when I got my backpay. Damn. I was
deluded.

> Now you can have a deep breath and cup of chai tea.

No thanks.

Or maybe it was only bad because of that horrible soy milk stuff :)

"It took people a long time to figure out which machine was [mooing],
and even longer to figure out how. But for some reason it didn't take
them any time at all to figure that I'd done it." -- Paul Tomblin on ASR

"Man Without Pigs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Just need a few $100K to start the project,
>

> The Pigs thing ,,,, there once was a doco called "Man with no pigs"
> about a New Guinian (spelling?) guy who comes to Oz, earns lots of money
> and then after 20 years returns to his village . He hasnt any pigs, so is
> considered to be "poor" by his villagers. The moral is that what is to be
> considrered wealthy is arbirtarily dictated by society. I have no plasma
> TV screen, BMW or nice house, so I'm considered by my workmates to be

poor.

I recall that program. A nice study into different cultural perceptions.
What is real wealth?

> Now you can have a deep breath and cup of chai tea.

Can't stand the stuff. But I will have a nice coffee

> Groetjes,
> MWP

Do I detect a Dutch background? Then you'll relate to the wealth in a
handfull of tulips a few centuries back.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini wrote:
> "Man Without Pigs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>Just need a few $100K to start the project,
>>

>>The Pigs thing ,,,, there once was a doco called "Man with no pigs"
>>about a New Guinian (spelling?) guy who comes to Oz, earns lots of money
>>and then after 20 years returns to his village . He hasnt any pigs, so is
>>considered to be "poor" by his villagers. The moral is that what is to be
>>considrered wealthy is arbirtarily dictated by society. I have no plasma
>>TV screen, BMW or nice house, so I'm considered by my workmates to be

> poor.
>
> I recall that program. A nice study into different cultural perceptions.
> What is real wealth?
>

>>Now you can have a deep breath and cup of chai tea.

> Can't stand the stuff. But I will have a nice coffee
>
>>Groetjes,
>>MWP

> Do I detect a Dutch background? Then you'll relate to the wealth in a
> handfull of tulips a few centuries back.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

There are deprived people I work with that don't own any bikes at all!
Can you imagine that?

Marty

Man Without Pigs said:
Just need a few $100K to start the project,

get a bank manager who rides a bike. you might wanna investigate an incubator or grants from MelbCC or DoI, travelsmart, smogbusters, etc
Im sure they would help in some manner. Perhaps a subsidised membership to all BV members ? possibilities are endless.

You should meet a friend of mine. (contact moi if ewe loike @ fdutch@(removethis)gmail.com) He has had this idea for awhile (he works in the industry/fringe) inc bike-repair, cafe (so you can get brekky$ from your captive audience of riders who lust for coffee, etc). SMS-ing lunch orders for the courier set ,etc. Lots more where that came from.
Swanston St is probably your best demogrphic/geographic spot for the obvious/practical reason?

Man Without Pigs said:
The Pigs thing ,,,, there once was a doco called "Man with no pigs"
about a New Guinian (spelling?) guy who comes to Oz, earns lots of money
and then after 20 years returns to his village . He hasnt any pigs, so is
considered to be "poor" by his villagers. The moral is that what is to be
considrered wealthy is arbirtarily dictated by society. I have no plasma
TV screen, BMW or nice house, so I'm considered by my workmates to be poor.

Now you can have a deep breath and cup of chai tea.

Groetjes,
MWP

I think i caught half that doco whilst channel-flicking. sobering concept.

Tea drinkers are coffee drinkers just lookig foe their next fix :D :D :D

F"Bike-rich"Dutch

On 2005-04-06, flyingdutch wrote:

> Marty Wrote:
>>
>> There are deprived people I work with that don't own any bikes at all!
>> Can you imagine that?
>>
>> Marty

> i think you mispelt 'depraived' :S

Oooh, look -- a new word! A mix that falls between "deprived" and
"depraved"! :)

flyingdutch wrote:

> Marty Wrote:
> >
> > There are deprived people I work with that don't own any bikes at all!
> > Can you imagine that?
> >
> > Marty

> i think you mispelt 'depraived' :S
>
> --
> flyingdutch

And you misspelt 'mispelt'...

:p

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:

> i think you mispelt 'depraived' :S
>
> --
> flyingdutch[/color]

And you misspelt 'mispelt'...

:p

Tam

LMAOROFL. did i mention i cant type for **** either?

F"Misspent depraived yoof"Dutch

Man Without Pigs said:
I've been thinking about opening a public bike parking in the CBD for
those who want to commute to work but havn't end-of-ride facilities at
their work.

jsut had another thawt on this...

With the new state legislation brought in late last year regarding new residential and office buildings (over a certain size/capacity) there has to be provision by the developer/whoever to supply a certain percentage/number of cycling parks and end-of-trip facilities.

Now obviously this is hard to retro-fit in the majority of existing MelbCBD buildings so perhaps you could research with MelbCClowncil or state govt to marry up some kind of subsidy or 'credit' system to these building-developers, etc who then have the option of buying your services to get them over this requirement. Everyone's happy(ish). They attract customers cos they get choice of either non-bike or bike facilities, Govt/clowncil is happy cos they are (without any outlay to them!!!) cutting car-usage and can market that they are fervent little greenies in the process, You are happy cos you get far more business and the humble bike rider gets what they want too.

Think i'm trademarkin this one. you just got it for free :D

F"idea-blurter"Dutch

Man Without Pigs said:
Just need a few $100K to start the project,

Wouldn't it be cheaper/better to work with a CBD gym or some such? They already provide most of the services you offer, have staff on-site all the time, and if you could work with them to create a good swag of safe cycle parking, combined with cheap showers/membership, then theoretically you'd be onto a good thing.

As a plus, they might see it as a way of encouraging people to join their gym as well...

Throw in a cafe for post-ride caffeine and you're sorted. ;)

Eddie(probably overlooking obvious flaws with that concept)c