[CBR] Adding Disc Brake Mount?

Adam F

Guest
Hi All,

Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
my existing steel fork?

It's a 1" threaded rigid MTB fork - buggered if I can find such a thing
with a disc mount, and I figure it can't be that hard to add one (just a
bit of fiddling to get the angle right I guess).

I emailed Ethos bikes on a recommendation from LBS but no reply.

Cheers,

--
//Adam F

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:48:18 +1000, Adam F wrote:

> Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
> my existing steel fork?

Speak to Gripsport - gripsport.com.au is the address IIRC. He's in
Victoria, but freight isn't much and he's generally acknowledged as
knowing what he's doing. I've had a frame repair done by him before, and
it's still going strong.

The other option would be to check what is available through boutique
brands like Salsa. I know they do a couple of 1.125 rigid forks with disc
tabs, and may still do some 1" stuff. I *think* there are even a few
suspension forks around with 1" steerers and disc tabs, but since I've not
been looking for such a thing I couldn't tell you who might have them.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
This calls for a very special blend of psychology

Adam F wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
> my existing steel fork?
>
> It's a 1" threaded rigid MTB fork - buggered if I can find such a thing
> with a disc mount, and I figure it can't be that hard to add one (just a
> bit of fiddling to get the angle right I guess).
>
> I emailed Ethos bikes on a recommendation from LBS but no reply.

I'll give it a go if you like. I've got a few old rigid forks that we
could use for testing purposes prior to attempting the real thing.

BTH

Adam F said:
Hi All,

Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
my existing steel fork?

It's a 1" threaded rigid MTB fork - buggered if I can find such a thing
with a disc mount, and I figure it can't be that hard to add one (just a
bit of fiddling to get the angle right I guess).

I emailed Ethos bikes on a recommendation from LBS but no reply.

Cheers,

--
//Adam F

I have a jig for this
Pete - Canberra

On Jul 22, 6:45 pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> Adam F wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
> > my existing steel fork?

> > It's a 1" threaded rigid MTB fork - buggered if I can find such a thing
> > with a disc mount, and I figure it can't be that hard to add one (just a
> > bit of fiddling to get the angle right I guess).

> > I emailed Ethos bikes on a recommendation from LBS but no reply.

> I'll give it a go if you like. I've got a few old rigid forks that we
> could use for testing purposes prior to attempting the real thing.
>
> BTH

I've seen your welding mate!

Poiter wrote:
> Adam F Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
>> my existing steel fork?
>>
>> It's a 1" threaded rigid MTB fork - buggered if I can find such a
>> thing
>> with a disc mount, and I figure it can't be that hard to add one (just
>> bit of fiddling to get the angle right I guess).
>>
>> I emailed Ethos bikes on a recommendation from LBS but no reply.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> //Adam F

> I have a jig for this
> Pete - Canberra

....and a welding station?

;)

Seriously, I'd be a happy man if you could do it.

--
//Adam F
[in O'Connor]

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 22, 6:45 pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Adam F wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
>>> my existing steel fork?
>>> It's a 1" threaded rigid MTB fork - buggered if I can find such a thing
>>> with a disc mount, and I figure it can't be that hard to add one (just a
>>> bit of fiddling to get the angle right I guess).
>>> I emailed Ethos bikes on a recommendation from LBS but no reply.

>> I'll give it a go if you like. I've got a few old rigid forks that we
>> could use for testing purposes prior to attempting the real thing.
>>
>> BTH

> I've seen your welding mate!

Hmm thanks BT - sounds like Mr Poiter's done it before, but if he can't
help me I'll keep your kind offer in mind!

--
//Adam F

Poiter wrote:
> Adam F Wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
>> my existing steel fork?
>>

> I have a jig for this

That's why they call you the Lord of the Dance

Parbs

Adam F said:
Poiter wrote:
> Adam F Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone know someone in the ACT who could weld a disc brake mount on to
>> my existing steel fork?
>>
>> //Adam F

> I have a jig for this
> Pete - Canberra

....and a welding station?

;)

Seriously, I'd be a happy man if you could do it.

--
//Adam F
[in O'Connor]

TIG and Oxy
Done a few of these.

Pete
Duffy (work - Civic) (ride everywhere) (France after 12/8)

Poiter wrote:
> Adam F Wrote:
>> Poiter wrote:

>>> I have a jig for this
>>> Pete - Canberra
>>>

>> ....and a welding station?
>>
>> ;)
>>
>> Seriously, I'd be a happy man if you could do it.
>>
>> --
>> //Adam F
>> [in O'Connor]

> TIG and Oxy
> Done a few of these.
>
> Pete
> Duffy (work - Civic) (ride everywhere) (France after 12/8)

Sounds good - I'm too dumb to figure out what to take out of your email
address though, so would you mind emailing me your address or phone number?

Cheers,

--
//Adam F

PS I used to live in France in case you need any tips ;)

Adam F said:
Poiter wrote:
> Adam F Wrote:
I'm too dumb to figure out what to take out of your email
address though, so would you mind emailing me your address or phone number?

Cheers,

--
//Adam F

Not on here and you aren't a registered member so I can't send you a personal mail.

Pete

Poiter wrote:
> Adam F Wrote:
>> Poiter wrote:
>>> Adam F Wrote:
>> I'm too dumb to figure out what to take out of your email
>> address though, so would you mind emailing me your address or phone
>> number?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> //Adam F
>>

> Not on here and you aren't a registered member so I can't send you a
> personal mail.
>
> Pete

Er, I'm posting to aus.bicycle, most newsreaders can easily discern the
email....

--
//Adam F

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:41:27 +1000, Adam F
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Er, I'm posting to aus.bicycle, most newsreaders can easily discern the
>email....

See above, and remove the spam trap. Poiter is posting via cycling
forums?

Aeek wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:41:27 +1000, Adam F
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Er, I'm posting to aus.bicycle, most newsreaders can easily discern the
>> email....

> See above, and remove the spam trap. Poiter is posting via cycling
> forums?

Ah, thanks Aeek.

I didn't realise web forums and NGs could cross over like that...behind
the times.

--
//Adam F