CCA follows my lead again

I'm not plugged into the cycling scene in any way, except as an aging recreational cyclist who rides for pleasure and fitness.

This being said, for all Ed's ranting and raving, he does seem to have some valid points to make. It might be better if he was more diplomatic about it, but all the same...........

And shouldn't you guys stop flaming each other? Time to grow up, and stop trying to have the last word.

Nobody wants to address any issues. It is far easier just to attack me personally. In that way the obvious problems can be ignored and people do not need to admit I am correct.

I was correct about:
-mismanagement, waste and syphoning of funds at the 2003 Worlds
- Calling for firing Hutsebaut.
- Bill Kinash's incompetence.

- CCA's lack of merchandising.
- Calling for Official National Criterium Championships.
- Calling for Steve Lacelle to leave.

- Calling for the removal of Masters from Elite Nationals and that has begun.
- The failure of the McMaster Cycling Centre.
- The waste of the 2003 Worlds Legacy.
- The failure of Kim Sebrango to secure any meaningful sponsorship in more than a year.
- I am also correct that an yhopes of reviving the sport through BMX or continuing to rely on MTB while only further marginalize the already marginalized sport in Caanda.
- The key to the commecial success of cycling in Caanda is once again, pro racing in major urban areas.

I see now the OCA is also following my suggestions and raising the age of Masters from 31 to 35 years old. It shouldbe raised to 40 as it was before but at least that is a move in the right direction.

Eventually all of my suggestions will be incorporated into the sport and it might rise again.

Note: not sure how the OCA can reconcile their rules with those of the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) and the Canadian Cycling Association (CCA). I guess the quick answer is that Ontario has no UCI sanctioned races and even very few CCA-nationally sanctioned races. Technically a rider holding a UCI-CCA license competing in a Ontario Provincial event could demand to be ride under the UCI-CCA rules, meaning anybody Elite age (23 to 30) could ride in the Elite Category whether they are Senior I, II, III or IV, as those categories do not exist anymore, nationally or internationally.

Well, it has been more than two months since applications closed to fill the top job of Executive Director or Chief Operating Officer (COO) at the Canadian Cycling Association. It has been almost three months since announcement looking for applicants was published. That’s how slow the CCA moves. This is not a very big operation,it is smaller than most small businesses yet they move with sluggishness of an old multi-national.

Once again the CCA is rudderless. Its fifth Exec. Dir. in three years has come and gone.

The CCA goes into its annual meeting without anybody in charge of day-to-day operations and ironically it seems to make no difference!

As the CCA heads into its annual meeting the Board of Directors should ask itself what Kim Sebrango, their Marketing Coordinator, has done? From out here it looks like nothing. There is a new web site that doesn’t do anything the old site didn’t do. In fact, the new site doesn’t even work as well. More money needlessly spent.

There are no new financial sponsors.

They are no new equipment suppliers.

There is no sponsor for the National Road series, which is hardly a series at all.

There is no prize money for the overall road points leaders.

Nothing, nothing has been done.

Canadian International results get worse and worse in all disciplines. Development is next to non-existent and the country’s best riders are retiring.

Still, the Canadian cycling news media, if one can really call it that, says nothing is wrong. The mainstream sports media says nothing at all about the sport.

The AGM is in Ottawa, go there ask them what the hell they are doing.

08.29.06 - ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

In accordance with Article 16 of the CCA By-laws, notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of the Canadian Cycling Association shall be held on November 19, 2006 starting at 9:00 a.m. at the Delta Ottawa Hotel in Ottawa, Ontario.