CCA implodes!!!!

Well, maybe not, at 46 years old, riding two times a week and 30 pounds overweigh I could race with most pro women in a crit since many of them cannot ride a straight lien or turn a corner.

30 pounds overweight, ha, ha, ha! That's the funniest thing that you have written. I guess you have lost weight since posting that picture on your web site. Which either means that you are not too handy around the computer and consequently unable to update your web site, too stupid to know that you should update your web site or just confused about your weight, which one is it?

Fausto Coppied said:
Ahh, **** for brains has weighed in!
And the name calling is an affirmative to which, the weight, the web site?
You are entertaining and nothing more.

Ahhh. Now we get to the crux of issue. Why are you commenting about mountain biking if you think it is doesn't mean any thing?

I happen to think you are wrong. Actually, I know you are wrong.

I live in a moderate size town 80 000, our Sunday road ride has anywhere from 30 to 50 riders. The tuesday night womens MTB ride has three groups of 20 riders. Now tell me which is more popular? Oh and there is more racers in the womens ride then sunday road ride.

Your comment about womens cycling is a pretty funny. I hate to break to you buddy but this isn't the 80s any more. The good Pro women are really fast. Go ask any of the cat 1-2 guys who train with them and get dropped by them on the climbs. I remember climbing Mt. Washington with Erin Willock a couple of year ago on a pac sport ride, only 2 or 3 guys finished in front of her.

Do you know what a watt is? Let me explain in modern cycling they have something called a power meter, it measure how much energy you are producing. The best female canadian mountain bikers are putting out over 5 watt/kilo at threshold and 6.0 watt/kilo at MAP. (I have seen the test to back this up). These are huge numbesr for men or women. To give you a reference Svein Tuft has a MAP of 6.8 watts/kilo. You typical cat 1-2 guy has a MAP of 5.5 watts/kilo.

Good job on demonstrating your complete lack on modern cycling knowledge though. Definately want you running the CCA, I guess you might have a bit more knowledge than the current crop but not a lot apparently.

I can't believe I am responding to such a stupid story again but here we go.

I imagine you know who Ron Haymen is? Well a couple of years ago my wife on I where in Penticton riding with Ron. Ron who was a pretty good racer and unlike you, still rides.

Now my wife is quick, an elite mountain biker, but not a top level mountain biker. She was dropping him on climbs and trust me he was trying to stay on.

I just can't stop.

If mountain biking is insignificant then how come every single prize for a radio contest all summer was "Win a prize to Crankworks". Even the beer companies where into it, Kokanee was advertising heavy with Crankworks. You should know, beer companies are big money.

Why did the front page of the Calgary sun sport section have a picture of a mountain biker, a female one at that, raising her hands in Victory? Some where in the middle of that same sports section iy talked about this three week race around france.

Do you know what your problem with mountain biking is. You can't leach a living off it. Because that is all you do, you have no cycling talent, your knowledge is so out dated that you would make your average Cat 4 slower.

Just to give you an idea on how out of date you are. You know those base miles you where talking about earlier, people don't do them any more. Doesn't that rock your world?

Just wait a bit I will teach you a little a bit about cadence. (Power meter have taught us a lot about cycling).

Yeah, win a prize.

Big Friggin' Deal.

How about win CASH?

Do you win cash?

Do you win $10,000 or $20,000 in cash per weekend?

That's what we used to win in Canada.

If you think racing (or just showing up it sounds like) to win small door prize is big-time, good for you.

You have no perspective so you cannot be expected to understand.

kclw said:
I can't believe I am responding to such a stupid story again but here we go.

I imagine you know who Ron Haymen is? Well a couple of years ago my wife on I where in Penticton riding with Ron. Ron who was a pretty good racer and unlike you, still rides.

Now my wife is quick, an elite mountain biker, but not a top level mountain biker. She was dropping him on climbs and trust me he was trying to stay on.
Ron Haymen is over 50 years old!

Fausto Coppied said:
Yeah, win a prize.

Big Friggin' Deal.

How about win CASH?

Do you win cash?

Do you win $10,000 or $20,000 in cash per weekend?

That's what we used to win in Canada.

If you think racing (or just showing up it sounds like) to win small door prize is big-time, good for you.

You have no perspective so you cannot be expected to understand.

You truly are stupid aren't you? The prize was a free trip to me a spectator. Idiot.

The prize money for the competitor is greater than $20 000 and the endorsment deals that go with are around 1/2 million.

Did you know half the competitor are paid an appearence fee?

Come on keep firing away. You continue to demonstrate you complete lack of knowledge.

kclw said:
I live in a moderate size town 80 000, our Sunday road ride has anywhere from 30 to 50 riders. The tuesday night womens MTB ride has three groups of 20 riders. Now tell me which is more popular? Oh and there is more racers in the womens ride then sunday road ride.

Your comment about womens cycling is a pretty funny. I hate to break to you buddy but this isn't the 80s any more. The good Pro women are really fast. Go ask any of the cat 1-2 guys who train with them and get dropped by them on the climbs. I remember climbing Mt. Washington with Erin Willock a couple of year ago on a pac sport ride, only 2 or 3 guys finished in front of her.

Do you know what a watt is? Let me explain in modern cycling they have something called a power meter, it measure how much energy you are producing. The best female canadian mountain bikers are putting out over 5 watt/kilo at threshold and 6.0 watt/kilo at MAP. (I have seen the test to back this up). These are huge numbesr for men or women. To give you a reference Svein Tuft has a MAP of 6.8 watts/kilo. You typical cat 1-2 guy has a MAP of 5.5 watts/kilo.
Your town is very active when it comes to women mtb rides. That however has very little to do with racing. How many of those women race? In general health and well being point of view that is very good though and I'm strongly for people getting on their bikes as a form of exercise. People don't exercise and 90% of those who do think that weight training at the gym is good exercise.

Pro women ride fast or even very fast. It depends on how you look at it. If pro women manage to drop cat 1-2 men then it's because these cat 1-2 men are not as good as cat 1-2 men should be. I've trained with good pro road women but maybe it's only those mtb women who are very strong as these roadies were pretty slow.

Those watts are pretty darn good. Best riders in Tour put out 5-6 watts/kg on decisive climbs and TT winners put out 6-6,5w/kg for an hour. Those who lose 10-11mins in Tour TT's put out maybe 4-4,5w/kg and average usually ~42km/h. Now you are trying to tell me that an mtb woman could beat most male Protour riders on a climb? According to watts these same women should average over 45km/h in 20km TT. I've tested ~5,5w/kg at anaer threshold and I have test results to back this up, however you can compare test results only with same persons test results in same testing environment. If women would be really putting out those watts they wouldn't be that much slower than even junior men.

And riders still do base miles or kilometers. Or at least every single racing cyclist I know. It's not the same as ten years ago but still riders do base miles.

Crankworx...I bet it's a nice event but it has very little to do with CCA or road or mtb cx. No one compares Tour with freeride stuff either and generalize that road cycling is much bigger than freeride scene.

kclw said:
Didn't you say you could beat a half the elite women in a crit?
yup.

As for your claims about $500,000 sponsors in CDN cycling there are none. Tim Hortons pays less than thsat for the whole CCA program and Olympic Team.

Fausto Coppied said:
yup.

As for your claims about $500,000 sponsors in CDN cycling there are none. Tim Hortons pays less than thsat for the whole CCA program and Olympic Team.
Those are what the riders who win Crankworks get in endorsment deals.

holli said:
Your town is very active when it comes to women mtb rides. That however has very little to do with racing. How many of those women race? In general health and well being point of view that is very good though and I'm strongly for people getting on their bikes as a form of exercise. People don't exercise and 90% of those who do think that weight training at the gym is good exercise.

Pro women ride fast or even very fast. It depends on how you look at it. If pro women manage to drop cat 1-2 men then it's because these cat 1-2 men are not as good as cat 1-2 men should be. I've trained with good pro road women but maybe it's only those mtb women who are very strong as these roadies were pretty slow.

Those watts are pretty darn good. Best riders in Tour put out 5-6 watts/kg on decisive climbs and TT winners put out 6-6,5w/kg for an hour. Those who lose 10-11mins in Tour TT's put out maybe 4-4,5w/kg and average usually ~42km/h. Now you are trying to tell me that an mtb woman could beat most male Protour riders on a climb? According to watts these same women should average over 45km/h in 20km TT. I've tested ~5,5w/kg at anaer threshold and I have test results to back this up, however you can compare test results only with same persons test results in same testing environment. If women would be really putting out those watts they wouldn't be that much slower than even junior men.

And riders still do base miles or kilometers. Or at least every single racing cyclist I know. It's not the same as ten years ago but still riders do base miles.

Crankworx...I bet it's a nice event but it has very little to do with CCA or road or mtb cx. No one compares Tour with freeride stuff either and generalize that road cycling is much bigger than freeride scene.

Your right about Crankworkx, to tell you the truth it doesn't do it for me. I was mearly showing Ed how out of the loop he his.

The values I have for womens power outputs are bang on (I witnessed the tests). Yes, I know they are impressive. Remember though the top three, Premont, Bisaro, and Pendrel, will pass a good chunk of the mens elite field at a Canada cup. Premont's speed would have put her 13th at MTB nationals this year in the mens race and the men had way better conditions.

Remeber TT speed is about watts per unit of surface area not about watts per kilo. A threshold power of 275 watts isn't going to propel you at 45kph, but if you are 55kg it will send you up hill in a hurry.

The whole base mile thing has changed. Base is no longer spent developing endurance it is spent developing the key fundemental cycling ability, FTP.

kclw said:
Your right about Crankworkx, to tell you the truth it doesn't do it for me. I was mearly showing Ed how out of the loop he his.

The values I have for womens power outputs are bang on (I witnessed the tests). Yes, I know they are impressive. Remember though the top three, Premont, Bisaro, and Pendrel, will pass a good chunk of the mens elite field at a Canada cup. Premont's speed would have put her 13th at MTB nationals this year in the mens race and the men had way better conditions.

Remeber TT speed is about watts per unit of surface area not about watts per kilo. A threshold power of 275 watts isn't going to propel you at 45kph, but if you are 55kg it will send you up hill in a hurry.

The whole base mile thing has changed. Base is no longer spent developing endurance it is spent developing the key fundemental cycling ability, FTP.
Those test results sure are impressive. There are only few men who can clock such watts. Didn't Premont destroy the competition in nationals so at least I wouldn't put those who lost 5mins or more in same category with her? Soon there will be no need for separate categories and for example price money thingy is solved too ;)

About that TT thing. ~280 watts should move a tiny woman pretty darn fast if she would be using a TT machine. If not over 45km/h then at least well over 40km/h.

That FTP thing is true but first you need to take yourself to the final where you can use your FTP power. FTP is more important in MTB races as the races are pretty short. When the race lasts over 3 hours then you need something more than FTP.

I am fortunate I have seen many of Canada's top cyclist do a MAP test. To give you an idea a world class female cyclist, lets say top 10, is on par with a good provinicial Cat 1 guy, at least on a long climb.

Typically a lack of anerobic power hurts women more then guys. Actually there isn't many complete female cyclist, it seems they can either climb or sprint, few can do both. The only one I have seen who could do both was Jeanson (her MAP was a un-natural 6.5 watts/kilo BTW).

Yeah Premont did destroy the competition at nationals. However the same girl she beat at nationals was in front of her for 80% of worlds race ending up within a minute of her. Those gaps happen some times in mountain biking, Absalon won a world cup by close to 4 minutes this year.

As for the 45km/hr thing I believe that use to be a carding criteria when they use to give cards for TTs. I have seen Leah Goldstien TT at 45kph for a 20km TT (Bazan Bay in Victoria a couple of years ago), my wife TTs at41kph for 20km. I guess those speed you quoted are bang on.

As for the FTP that is what they are finding. Trainning volumes have dropped dramatically at all levels. The Tour this year was won by a guy who average just over 20hr of training per week. Which compared to the volumes of the past is nothing.

Just as note about prize money, there isn't equal prize money in mountain biking. Even at world cups where they have 100 women the prize money isn't equal.

Ed: Ben Boyko, Daren Bearclawth, ect... There is whole another world of cycling which you don't know. Frankly you have no interest in (my interest is pretty limited too) but it exist and in terms of sponsorships dollars and attention far exceeds that of road or XC mtbing (in North America at Least). Go to a school ask the kids who Mike Barry is or Premont is, they will not have a clue, but they can tell you all about Ben Boyko.

The Canadian cycling company with the biggest sponsorship budget is Norco. They sponsor Symetrics, Pendrel, and Fionne (a brit downhiller), and a couple of free-riders, Ben Boyko being one of them. The majority of their budget is spent on free-riders.

To be honest I hate free-riding. Probably the worst thing ever to happen to cycling in Canada. The kids with true talent, the gifted athletes, spend their time trying to land a back flip instead of learning to pedal (whether on a road bike or an XC bike).

The bright side is compared to when I was kid there is a lot more kids on a bike, it is a cool to ride a bike. Now somebody with vision would come up with a way to introduce those free-ride kids to road or XC. Honest I have tried and failed utterely, the kids are not happy when you suggest the idea of pedalling up, they want their ski lift. But my failure doesn't mean that it can't be done.

Ohh and don't go and suggest track. That is been tried again and again and again in Victoria and the kids don't like it at all. They think it is cool the first time, OK the second time, and after that they want to go back to the BMX track and the program dies from lack of interest.

I doubt NORCO alone is givng Boyko $500,000. They might spend that on their whole program. Maybe Boyko makes that all totalled. He is one guy and he is in the entertainment business. That is not sport.
You're right I do not care about it. They can play all they want.

I like racing.

The symmetrics cycling team has well over that amount.

Have a good day sir.

Fausto Coppied said:
yup.

Uboat,

As usual you add nothing to the discussion.

One minute we are talking about "prize money" at Crankworks", next somebody brings up NORCO's sponsorship of a free ride team and now you bring up Symmetrics. Last check Symmetrics does not have one sponsor giving them $500,000 in cash.