CCA

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mraod, May 11, 2004.

  1. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    Hokay, just got a solicitation from "Cooking Club of
    America". Having suffered through the onslaughts of HCA I'm
    disinclined to bother responding but . . .

    anyone out there heard of/joined/been pissed off by CCA?

    Thanks,

    Marc

    Tags:

  2. Orion

    Orion Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    .

    > anyone out there heard of/joined/been pissed off by CCA?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Marc

    Yeah, they tell you you'll be testing $hundreds$ worth of
    kitchen equipment, but then you test some pot holders or
    measuring spoons. They also send you books very often to
    review/buy, sometimes every few weeks so you have to go
    through the hassle of returning them. I don't think it's
    worth the money, but that's just my opinion. Others may have
    had better luck.

    Suzan

  3. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    :
    : anyone out there heard of/joined/been pissed off by CCA?
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Marc
    ========

    Hi Marc,

    I'm a lifetime member. I like them just fine. I've tested
    some pretty neat things and have actually learned a thing or
    two plus got some great recipe ideas from them. I also got a
    free, beautiful set of encapsulated SS cookware - I already
    had 2 sets of cookware so I donated them to a family in need
    from our church.

    My husband is also a member of the HCofA. He enjoys the mags
    and has gotten a few ideas from them as well.

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  4. Orion

    Orion Guest

    <snip>
    > ========
    >
    > Hi Marc,
    >
    > I'm a lifetime member. I like them just fine. I've tested
    > some pretty neat things and have actually learned a thing
    > or two plus got some great recipe ideas from them. I also
    > got a free, beautiful set of encapsulated SS cookware - I
    > already had 2 sets of cookware so I donated them to a
    > family in need from our church.
    >
    > My husband is also a member of the HCofA. He enjoys the
    > mags and has gotten a few ideas from them as well.
    >
    > --
    > Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>

    Really?? You got the cookware free? Or is that the cookware
    you get after paying for the lifetime membership?

    Suzan

  5. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    "Orion" writes:

    >"MrAoD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >m16.aol.com...
    >> Hokay, just got a solicitation from "Cooking Club of
    >> America". Having
    >suffered
    >> through the onslaughts of HCA I'm disinclined to bother
    >> responding but . .
    >.
    >>
    >> anyone out there heard of/joined/been pissed off by CCA?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Marc
    >
    >Yeah, they tell you you'll be testing $hundreds$ worth of
    >kitchen equipment, but then you test some pot holders or
    >measuring spoons. They also send you books very often to
    >review/buy,

    I read the fine print, it's an opt-out at the time of
    joining program. If you elect not to receive those mailings
    they'll stop.

    Speaking as one who had enough trouble convincing Columbia
    House I wanted to quit, I'd opt out of that CCA program.

    >sometimes every few weeks so you have to go through the
    >hassle of returning them. I don't think it's worth the
    >money, but that's just my opinion. Others may have had
    >better luck.

    Agreed. And I know whereof you speak in terms of the crappy
    testing items from HCofA.

    I'm not broke but I gave up my subscriptions to fishing,
    woodworking, and cooking magazines quite some time ago -
    just didn't have the time for 'em.

    Lately I've got a bit more time on my hands, at least for
    reading. At $12/year this is low-risk for me.

    Anyone care to comment on the quality of the magazine and
    the member's buying program, the one that allegedly offers
    special discounts?

    Thanks,

    Marc

  6. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    Rick & Cyndi" wrote:

    >"MrAoD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >m16.aol.com...
    >: Hokay, just got a solicitation from "Cooking Club of
    >: America".
    >Having suffered
    >: through the onslaughts of HCA I'm disinclined to bother
    >responding but . . .
    >:
    >: anyone out there heard of/joined/been pissed off by CCA?
    >:
    >: Thanks,
    >:
    >: Marc
    >========
    >
    >Hi Marc,
    >
    >I'm a lifetime member. I like them just fine. I've tested
    >some pretty neat things and have actually learned a thing
    >or two plus got some great recipe ideas from them.

    Interesting. How would you rate their magazine content
    against, say, Gourmet or Bon Appetit? I stopped buying both
    of those simply because they got a little too far away from
    the food (travel, restaurant blurbs, etc).
    >I also got a free, beautiful set of encapsulated SS
    >cookware - I already had 2 sets of cookware so I donated
    >them to a family in need from our church.

    Nice. Any comment on the kind of stuff they send for
    testing, or the members-only buying program?

    >My husband is also a member of the HCofA. He enjoys the
    >mags and has gotten a few ideas from them as well.

    I was a member for 2-3 years. I found the magazine useful,
    in a limited sort of way. The tools they sent were small
    handtools, ranging from a crappy Chiawanese steel multi-
    bit ratcheting screw driver (already had one) to a fairly
    decent Stanley utility knife with a no-tools blade change
    mechanism. That was a keeper, it's in tool box #3
    (plumbing tools).

    Thanks Cyndi.

    Best,

    Marc

  7. Orion

    Orion Guest

    "MrAoD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Orion" writes:
    >
    > >"MrAoD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m16.aol.com...
    > >> Hokay, just got a solicitation from "Cooking Club of
    > >> America". Having
    > >suffered
    > >> through the onslaughts of HCA I'm disinclined to bother
    > >> responding but
    . .
    > >.
    > >>
    > >> anyone out there heard of/joined/been pissed off
    > >> by CCA?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Marc
    > >
    > >Yeah, they tell you you'll be testing $hundreds$ worth of
    > >kitchen
    equipment,
    > >but then you test some pot holders or measuring spoons.
    > >They also send
    you
    > >books very often to review/buy,
    >
    > I read the fine print, it's an opt-out at the time of
    > joining program. If
    you
    > elect not to receive those mailings they'll stop.
    >
    > Speaking as one who had enough trouble convincing Columbia
    > House I wanted
    > quit, I'd opt out of that CCA program.
    >
    > >sometimes every few weeks so you have to go through the
    > >hassle of returning them. I don't think it's worth the
    money,
    > >but that's just my opinion. Others may have had
    > >better luck.
    >
    > Agreed. And I know whereof you speak in terms of the
    > crappy testing items
    from
    > HCofA.
    >
    > I'm not broke but I gave up my subscriptions to fishing,
    > woodworking, and cooking magazines quite some time ago -
    > just didn't have the time for 'em.
    >
    > Lately I've got a bit more time on my hands, at least for
    > reading. At
    $12/year
    > this is low-risk for me.
    >
    > Anyone care to comment on the quality of the magazine and
    > the member's
    buying
    > program, the one that allegedly offers special discounts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Marc

    I've tried to opt-out, and am getting less, but still
    getting them. As far as the mags go, I'm much happier with
    my 'cook's illustrated'. Not to say that the CCA mags are no
    good, just not as good.

    Suzan

  8. "MrAoD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Orion" writes:
    >
    > >"MrAoD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m16.aol.com...
    > >> Hokay, just got a solicitation from "Cooking Club of
    > >> America". Having
    > >suffered
    > >> through the onslaughts of HCA I'm disinclined to bother
    > >> responding but
    . .
    > >.
    > >>
    > >> anyone out there heard of/joined/been pissed off
    > >> by CCA?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Marc
    > >
    > >Yeah, they tell you you'll be testing $hundreds$ worth of
    > >kitchen
    equipment,
    > >but then you test some pot holders or measuring spoons.
    > >They also send
    you
    > >books very often to review/buy,
    >
    > I read the fine print, it's an opt-out at the time of
    > joining program. If
    you
    > elect not to receive those mailings they'll stop.
    >
    > Speaking as one who had enough trouble convincing Columbia
    > House I wanted
    > quit, I'd opt out of that CCA program.
    >
    > >sometimes every few weeks so you have to go through the
    > >hassle of returning them. I don't think it's worth the
    money,
    > >but that's just my opinion. Others may have had
    > >better luck.
    >
    > Agreed. And I know whereof you speak in terms of the
    > crappy testing items
    from
    > HCofA.
    >
    > I'm not broke but I gave up my subscriptions to fishing,
    > woodworking, and cooking magazines quite some time ago -
    > just didn't have the time for 'em.
    >
    > Lately I've got a bit more time on my hands, at least for
    > reading. At
    $12/year
    > this is low-risk for me.
    >
    > Anyone care to comment on the quality of the magazine and
    > the member's
    buying
    > program, the one that allegedly offers special discounts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Marc

    As far as mags go, the CCA mags are a lot of gloss and very
    little usable substance. For more bang for the buck, go with
    Taste of Home. No adverts and actual recipes you can make at
    home. -Ginny

  9. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "MrAoD" & Cyndi" wrote:
    : >: Hokay, just got a solicitation from "Cooking Club of
    America".
    : >Having suffered
    : >: through the onslaughts of HCA I'm disinclined to bother
    : >responding but . . . anyone out there heard
    : >of/joined/been
    pissed off by CCA?
    : >:
    : >: Thanks,
    : >:
    : >: Marc
    : >========
    : >
    : >Hi Marc,
    : >
[...]
    ============

    You're welcome.

    Rick didn't test out too many products - most of them small
    gadgetry like you said. For CCofA though, I have a beautiful
    maple cutting/carving board that retails for about $60; I've
    tested out a wild rice blend that was quite nice and I was
    glad later, because I needing to make a wild rice dish and
    (blah, blah, blah) - found the same mix in the store and got
    some because I knew it would be good... I've also tested out
    a dishwashing wand (by Oxo) that was pretty cool and I just
    received this week a bottle opener. So far, I haven't been
    able to use the opener for what it's intended for - well
    sort of. It won't help me open milk jugs - which is mostly
    what I need help with. I guess it will rate a little low
    because of that. It has a little flipped up appendage that
    is supposed to help you open the flip tops of cans but it's
    too thick to reach under the rim of the serrated part of
    milk lids. Bummer. I dislike having to dig out the church
    key for the odd gallon og milk that decides it doesn't want
    to be opened.

    Back to the CCA magazine - they have a tips section where
    I've actually picked up a new trick or two and have
    become inspired by a few of their recipes. I now make a
    KILLER Chocolate Zucchini Loaf that I've adapted from
    their magazine.

    They have interesting articles... while they are not Cook's
    Illustrated - I like them FAR better and quite frankly,
    never renewed by subscription to Cook's after my initial
    trial with them.

    But hey, that's me.

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  10. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On 10 May 2004 07:40:43 GMT, [email protected] (MrAoD) wrote:

    >Thanks to all for their input. On balance I think I'll give
    >it a miss this time. We'll see if they're as persistent
    >with their "one-time only" membership offers as HCofA was.
    >
    >;-)
    >
    >ObFood:
    >
    >The boy and I took Mom to Eastern Market, a combination
    >flea market and farmer's market in SE DC.

    >Marc

    the eastern market is nice. i'm pissed though, because much
    of it is not wheelchair accessible.

    your peg-leg pal, blake