Cdale hollowgram triple chain ring?

Mick60

May 9, 2004
Hi,
Quick newbie question: Can a triple chain ring be installed on a Cannondale hollowgram? If so, I assume that would require a long-cage if you're using a Campagnolo Record derailleur. I will be trying a Campagnolo Record 13-29 Titanium cassette 10s for hills, so maybe the triple ring is unneccesary anyway? But as you can see by my handle, I'm an OLD crusier.
Thanks for the help, Mick

Originally posted by Mick60
Hi,
Quick newbie question: Can a triple chain ring be installed on a Cannondale hollowgram? If so, I assume that would require a long-cage if you're using a Campagnolo Record derailleur. I will be trying a Campagnolo Record 13-29 Titanium cassette 10s for hills, so maybe the triple ring is unneccesary anyway? But as you can see by my handle, I'm an OLD crusier.
Thanks for the help, Mick
The only way to do it is to get a tripilizer ring (Peter White Cycles )to mount the granny on.Then you have the problem of finding a longer spindle(about 10mm longer),which may exist in cannondales hollogrm MTB lineup. You will need a triple FD. You can even use a short cage campy 10 RD with the 29 in most applications, even a triple if you stay out of the small cogs when in the granny. A 39x29 double is about the same low gear as a triple 30 granny and 23 large cog.

You might have some shifting issues on your proposed set-up because:

Campagnolo does NOT recommend the short cage rear derailleur for cogset beyond 13-26 combination. The short mech will only work flawlessly on the following cogsets:

11-21
11-23
12-23
12-25
13-26

Consequently, a 10s Campagnolo drivetrain requires chainrings/crankset with UD (ultra-drive) specifications. For perspective, a UD crankset has its chainrings sit 0.4mm closer to each other. Also, a UD crankset requires a 102mm BB.

A Cannondale Hallowgram crank does not satisfy these specification and more so if you install a proprietary granny gear adapter.

If you must stick to the hollowgram, I suggest you stay with the double ring and change only the outer chainring with a Campangolo 53 or 52 UD 10s rings. These rings have the area near the mounting bolt holes 0.4mm thinner versus regular chainrings.

Originally posted by dennis dee
You might have some shifting issues on your proposed set-up because:

Campagnolo does NOT recommend the short cage rear derailleur for cogset beyond 13-26 combination. The short mech will only work flawlessly on the following cogsets:

11-21
11-23
12-23
12-25
13-26

Consequently, a 10s Campagnolo drivetrain requires chainrings/crankset with UD (ultra-drive) specifications. For perspective, a UD crankset has its chainrings sit 0.4mm closer to each other. Also, a UD crankset requires a 102mm BB.

A Cannondale Hallowgram crank does not satisfy these specification and more so if you install a proprietary granny gear adapter.

If you must stick to the hollowgram, I suggest you stay with the double ring and change only the outer chainring with a Campangolo 53 or 52 UD 10s rings. These rings have the area near the mounting bolt holes 0.4mm thinner versus regular chainrings.
Why don't you refrain from regurgitating the Campy line,when you don't really know the in's and outs of intercompatibility. If you do it the 'Camp way' it won't be wrong, but there are lots of other ways to do it that work perfectly well.

Originally posted by dennis dee

FYI, Campy rings are 135 BCD, and Cdale uses 130. It don't fly. Another FYI, Cdale marketed a Saeco Team replica with the hollogram crank and rings with an otherwise Record 10 groupo.

Originally posted by boudreaux
FYI, Campy rings are 135 BCD, and Cdale uses 130. It don't fly. Another FYI, Cdale marketed a Saeco Team replica with the hollogram crank and rings with an otherwise Record 10 groupo.

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. The Cannondale Hallowgram EXA crankset, part no. 4626363EX is compatible with Campagnolo EXA-Drive chainrings.

You need to eat more rice.