C'dale Lefty too stiff?

JohnH wrote:
> Sorni wrote:

>>> I could care less about this.

>> I could not.
>>
>> (You do realize, of course, that you just stated that you indeed DO
>> care somewhat about this; otherwise, how could you care less?)

> Err.. yeah.. Read the preceding paragraph ;)

I knew that. Just making sure everyone else was paying attention. (Anyone
buyin'???)

>> Bill "why am I here?" S.

> I don't know why you're here for.

I'm always where I'm at.

Bill "nap time" S.

John Harlow writes:

>> That's as stupid as the press not knowing the difference between
>> "momentarily" and "any moment", as in "the president will be here
>> momentarily"... oh, it's too bad he can't stay for a bit. The
>> word has been misused so often that the dictionary has picked it up
>> as an alternate (correct) use, just as "carrot and stick" has been
>> replaced by "carrot or stick" the image never having been
>> understood by many.

> I could care less about this.

Do that then. The language used in this newsgroup often reflects your
attitude, leaving readers wondering what was meant, often eliciting
similarly cryptic responses.

Jobst Brandt

"just bought" as in 50 miles ago? break it in a while, and that "while"
depends on the type of riding your doing.

it may soften up a bit

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

"41" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Editor's note: The headline on this article cleared Microsoft's
>grammar checker.

Re: C'dale Lefty too stiff?

;-)

BTW, I checked, and "C'dale" shows up as a misspelled word.

"BTW" didn't (though that may be because I've added it to my personal
dictionary at some time).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote (TO??? OF??? ABOUT???):
>
>> Thanks very much. These other folks have way too much time on their
>> hands. They should be riding instead of being pedantic!

>OK, anyone who uses the word "pedantic" (not necessarily appropriately in
>this case, as saying "your bike sucks" is hardly erudite) SHOULD BE SMART
>ENOUGH TO QUOTE that to which he or she is replying.
>
>Bill "now THAT's pedantic (in a Usenetty sense of the word)" S.

I used to be more pedantic, but now I only spin about 90 RPM.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

In article <230220061822545927%[email protected]>, Luke
([email protected]) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Aw come on, get mo-derne. Replace all references to affect and effect
> > with impact. That's what the news folks do because they don't know
> > which one goes where. Affect is going the way of whom as in "For Who
> > the Bell Tolls". You'd be surprised how many folks think that is the
> > title of Ernest Hemingway's work. To who do you turn with such
> > problems?

> I turn to those who can impact me with solutions.

(Leverages shovel into "smite" mode)

The sixth student said, "I ride my bicycle because I want people to look
up to me and say 'Wow! He looks really good up there!' The teacher
replied: 'Go away, Fabrizio!'"

[email protected] wrote:

> Aw come on, get mo-derne. Replace all references to affect and effect
> with impact. That's what the news folks do because they don't know
> which one goes where. Affect is going the way of whom as in "For Who
> the Bell Tolls". You'd be surprised how many folks think that is the
> title of Ernest Hemingway's work. To who do you turn with such
> problems?

Too-hoo? Google, of course... "what John Donne" revealed the
following, from Wikipedia:

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the
Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea,
Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a
Mannor of thy friends or of thine own were; any mans death diminishes
me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know
for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."
-from "Meditation XVII" of Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions

The language is changing! The language is changing! Quick, run inside,
the language is changing!!! --D-y

[email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:
> Phil Lee writes:
> >> I think the spring will effect your rebound.

> > "Affect" is the proper term, unless you mean that his spring will
> > bring about the rebound.

> Affect is going the way of whom as in "For Who the Bell Tolls".

I eagerly await the day no one knows the difference between affluence
and effluence.

--
http://MesoLocate.com/ - MesoLocate: Your guide to the mesothelioma web.

[email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
> Ooh. that one has a double whammy, because people have been so drilled
> to not say "me, me, me" that they avoid the word. They believe using
> "I" or "myself" instead, also sounds more erudite.

Who, me?

--
Tom Sherman

John Everett wrote:
> Things seem to have degenerated in the succeeding quarter century.
> Some of the stuff that appears here is practically unreadable. For
> example, have you ever tried to decipher datakoll's contributions?

Gene's mangling of the English language is deliberate, and shows a
talent for the intentional misuse of homonyms.

--
Tom Sherman - President - G. Daniels Fan Club

[email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
> That's as stupid as the press not knowing the difference between
> "momentarily" and "any moment", as in "the president will be here
> momentarily"... oh, it's too bad he can't stay for a bit....

Has Jobst changed his political beliefs?

--
Tom Sherman

See <http://www.webmd.com/content/article/11/1685_50034>.

--
Tom Sherman

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> I think the spring will effect your rebound.

>> "Affect" is the proper term, unless you mean that his spring will
>> bring about the rebound.

> Aw come on, get mo-derne. Replace all references to affect and effect
> with impact. That's what the news folks do because they don't know
> which one goes where. Affect is going the way of whom as in "For Who
> the Bell Tolls". You'd be surprised how many folks think that is the
> title of Ernest Hemingway's work. To who do you turn with such
> problems?

alt.usage.english + alt.english.usage - HTH, HAND!

Shaun aRe

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:03:37 -0700, Leo Lichtman spat out the following
(in article <[email protected]>):

> "Ron Hardin" wrote: (clip)``whom'' can pretty much be written ``who.''
> It's also much safer, because most actual uses of ``whom'' are wrong, (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> It's called "hypercorrection." The oldest example I can recall (yes, I'm
> old) was Henry Aldridge, on the radio, who always said, "Are you speaking to
> I, Mother?"
>
> My parents were Yiddish, as were most of their friends. I still remember a
> man who would answer the phone with, "Zu whom am I speaking?"

"'Whom are you?' said he, for he had been to night school.

George Ade (1866 - 1944)

Godzilla

--
"Heisenberg may have slept here."

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:03:37 -0700, Leo Lichtman wrote the following

> "Ron Hardin" wrote: (clip)``whom'' can pretty much be written ``who.''
> It's also much safer, because most actual uses of ``whom'' are wrong, (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> It's called "hypercorrection." The oldest example I can recall (yes, I'm
> old) was Henry Aldridge, on the radio, who always said, "Are you speaking to
> I, Mother?"
>
> My parents were Yiddish, as were most of their friends. I still remember a
> man who would answer the phone with, "Zu whom am I speaking?"

Another great example of hypercorrection is all the people who say "I feel
badly." That's grammatically correct, as is "I feel bad", but the two have
very different meanings, and most people mean the latter when they speak the
former. I like to ask them if they also feel happily and sadly and tiredly.

Tlacatecatl

On 22 Feb 2006 14:43:59 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I just bought a Cannondale Rush 600. It seems like (it would be) a
>great bike, but I can't get the fork right. I'm running it at the
>recommended pressure for my weight - ie. 110 psi for my 160 lb weight.
>But it feels really stiff.
>
>I'm riding a large bike, so I'm light for the bike - would it help if I
>went with a softer "negative spring", or should I just use a lower
>pressure?
>
>Many thanks for any help/advice.
>
>Simon

Ride it for a while.. lower pressure .. if that doesn't do it.. then
change the spring and /or use lower weight oil. .. I have 3 leftys ..
last time I sent in in for an annual service, they put a higher weight
oil in it than the original spec... the ride was terrible and I sent
it back and they put in the standard weight oil.

charlieb in ct.