C'dale R1000 Multisport/Aero - just for Triathlons?

edcook24

New Member
Jun 19, 2004
The search continues..... I've found a 2002 Cannondale R1000 Multisport on ebay for around $1800. I understand the Multisport is also called the R1000 Aero (probably just in the US) it has tri bars and a slightly different geometry. As I will be using the bike primarily for Road riding as opposed to Triathlons will this cause problems? Or are the differences to the standard R1000 too small to notice? Any help is much appreciated.

Ed

edcook24 wrote:
> The search continues..... I've found a 2002 Cannondale
> R1000 Multisport on ebay for around $1800. I understand
> the Multisport is also called the R1000 Aero (probably
> just in the US) it has tri bars and a slightly different
> geometry. As I will be using the bike primarily for Road
> riding as opposed to Triathlons will this cause problems?
> Or are the differences to the standard R1000 too small to
> notice? Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Ed
>

> --

It will probably be a bit heavier, tricky in strong cross
winds and more uncomfortable with tri bars on it.

If the Multisport is the R1000 Aero, then it will be very
different to the normal R3000 road frame.

--
Nick

Originally posted by edcook24
The search continues..... I've found a 2002 Cannondale R1000 Multisport on ebay for around $1800. I understand the Multisport is also called the R1000 Aero (probably just in the US) it has tri bars and a slightly different geometry. As I will be using the bike primarily for Road riding as opposed to Triathlons will this cause problems? Or are the differences to the standard R1000 too small to notice? Any help is much appreciated.
Ed

If it's the same as this:
http://www.roadbikereview.com/psc20...e,1999,Multisport,2000/PRD_18418_1610crx.aspx

then I would give it a miss for a road bike. It's appears to be a
650C-wheeled time trial bike. Great for tri's or TT's but no good
for normal road riding, club racing.

This bike will almost certainly by uncomfortable for road riding.

Keep looking :)

hippy

Originally posted by edcook24
The search continues..... I've found a 2002 Cannondale R1000 Multisport on ebay for around $1800. I understand the Multisport is also called the R1000 Aero (probably just in the US) it has tri bars and a slightly different geometry. As I will be using the bike primarily for Road riding as opposed to Triathlons will this cause problems? Or are the differences to the standard R1000 too small to notice? Any help is much appreciated.

Ed

If it's this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=3684491674&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

there is bugger-all information on that ad. I'd steer clear. I can't
tell if they are 650C wheels or not and the angle looks deceptively
shallow.. but that could just be the angle of the shot..

It might not be so bad for road stuff, but you'd really want to suss
it out a LOT further before handing over 1800 clams. Give it a miss
if the wheels aren't 700C and if the frame geometry is designed
for timetrials.

It's a 58cm frame too.. your size?

hippy